OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

nitroshift wrote:

@kop48

cat /proc/mtd

nitroshift

Oh thanks! I was specifically referring to how the device maintains two flash images, how that works with the bootloader, how flashing only overwrites a single slot, etc.

DavidMcWRT wrote:

Just double checked (this is Kaloz 15 Jan build):

# echo 255 > /sys/devices/pwm_fan/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1
# echo 192 > /sys/devices/pwm_fan/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1
# echo 128 > /sys/devices/pwm_fan/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1
# echo 80 > /sys/devices/pwm_fan/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1
# echo 0 > /sys/devices/pwm_fan/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1

255, 192 and 128 all sounded different.

Couldn't hear anything at 80.

Yep.

Just tested here, same results smile

lifehacksback wrote:

New Testing image 01/19/2015

Wifi enabled by default for the person asking.

Kernel 3.18.2, I'll see if it was updated sometime after the build.

Thank you for the change!

Wondering if anyone can help. I bricked it......when i setup my ttl cable, open a session, boot the router, i get nothing. When i switch tx and rx on the router i get gibberish. Put rx and tx back where they're supposed to be, nothing. Touch the rx and tx wires together and type anything, it shows up in the session window, seeming to indicate my cable is functioning. I'm stumped.

lifehacksback wrote:

New Testing image 01/19/2015

Wifi enabled by default for the person asking.

Kernel 3.18.2, I'll see if it was updated sometime after the build.

I'd prefer WiFi off by default tongue

Or at the very least if you're going to have it on, some pre-determined password set on each radio.

mojolacerator wrote:

Wondering if anyone can help. I bricked it......when i setup my ttl cable, open a session, boot the router, i get nothing. When i switch tx and rx on the router i get gibberish. Put rx and tx back where they're supposed to be, nothing. Touch the rx and tx wires together and type anything, it shows up in the session window, seeming to indicate my cable is functioning. I'm stumped.

Com port speed at 115200?
Mine USB wiring was black on gnd, white on tx and green on rx?
Connection not tight on the connector and plugs of cable (I had this issue)

I have downloaded and installed Kaloz's image from the 15th. Everything works fine so far except for the already noted fan being on full. And, something else. The internet LED does not come on. If I set it to mamba:amber:wan it does light amber. Mamba:white:wan doesn't seem to work. It did in one of the previous images. Any suggestions? I don't mind leaving it amber for now.

doxidad wrote:

I have downloaded and installed Kaloz's image from the 15th. Everything works fine so far except for the already noted fan being on full. And, something else. The internet LED does not come on. If I set it to mamba:amber:wan it does light amber. Mamba:white:wan doesn't seem to work. It did in one of the previous images. Any suggestions? I don't mind leaving it amber for now.

FYI
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 88#p261888

gufus wrote:
doxidad wrote:

FYI
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 88#p261888

Thanks. I knew that - and had shut off the fan. The problem I was seeing was the WAN LED not illuminating.
I did find the problem. In luci the next LED setting was for a USB device. It had the mamba:white:wan setting in it. Removing this fixed the problem. Since I don't have any USB devices attached I'm not sure how it got that way although I may have done it somewhere along the way.

Thank you developers for all the work you have put into this software.

dpdurst wrote:
mojolacerator wrote:

Tx very much, it appears the only thing it could have been is loose connection(s).

Now i go through the steps to recover,  when i boot, i get a " can't get kernel image ".

Any help/suggestions?

mojolacerator wrote:
dpdurst wrote:
mojolacerator wrote:

Tx very much, it appears the only thing it could have been is loose connection(s).

Now i go through the steps to recover,  when i boot, i get a " can't get kernel image ".

Any help/suggestions?

Try "run update_both_images" instead of "run flash_pri_image"

Or a serial call with 'run nandboot' or 'run altnandboot'

gufus wrote:

either way - this is what I see:

NAND read: device 0 offset 0x3200000, size 0x400000
4194304 bytes read: OK
Wrong Image format for bootm command
ERROR: can't get kernel image !

-
Interestingly, its the same error if I do not stop the autoboot.

(Last edited by mojolacerator on 20 Jan 2015, 01:06)

Even run update_both_images ?

qkpham wrote:

Even run update_both_images ?

yep

I had the same error as you but solved it with my command. Which firmware are you using?

@mojolacerator

Could you perhaps post the output of your attempt to flash the image?

qkpham wrote:

I had the same error as you but solved it with my command. Which firmware are you using?

Before it bricked, i had flashed the stock firmware, let it setup etc.. Then I was in the process of flashing Chadster's latest, and it hung and went into blinking mode.

Have you tried flashing with Kaloz or lifehacksback firmwares? I only used those ones.

@lifehacksback I have noticed that I can't use the echo 128 > /sys/devices/pwm_fan/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1 command on your firmware (only possible on Kaloz FW). Is it possible for you to implement that (or bsoft's auto-fan control)? sensors command returns a temperature of ~57 degrees on my WRT1900ac. With the fan set at 128 temperature goes down to 45 degrees while remaining quiet enough.

As for DavidMcWRT request to have wifi off by default. I believe a good compromise would be to use a default password. As long as I can access to wifi after a firmware update it would be very convenient.

(Last edited by qkpham on 20 Jan 2015, 01:19)

mojolacerator wrote:
gufus wrote:

-

flash stock and run update_both_images

qkpham wrote:

As for DavidMcWRT request to have wifi off by default. I believe a good compromise would be to use a default password. As long as I can access to wifi after a firmware update it would be very convenient.

Given one should flash firmware over a wired (ethernet cable) link, and it only takes a couple of minutes (max) to then set up WiFi using the already-present said ethernet cable, what's the rush in having WiFi available after flashing?

Particularly as if you're putting the router into an already existing system you'll probably want to set it up with your previous ESSIDs and security (passphrases, etc.) - not to mention setting known-good channels with the least interference.

gufus wrote:
mojolacerator wrote:
gufus wrote:

-

flash stock and run update_both_images

same thing happens.

after the run update_both_images

type

boot or reboot?

gufus wrote:

after the run update_both_images

type

boot or reboot?

Still get same error.

DavidMcWRT wrote:
qkpham wrote:

Given one should flash firmware over a wired (ethernet cable) link, and it only takes a couple of minutes (max) to then set up WiFi using the already-present said ethernet cable, what's the rush in having WiFi available after flashing?

Particularly as if you're putting the router into an already existing system you'll probably want to set it up with your previous ESSIDs and security (passphrases, etc.) - not to mention setting known-good channels with the least interference.

I agree with @DavidMcWRT on all points. And I also believe that for security purposes that WiFi should be off by default.

Sorry, posts 2501 to 2500 are missing from our archive.