OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Quallcomm qca9558/TP-Link WDR7500 support

The content of this topic has been archived between 1 May 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

you just use 15.05 other people patch it for you, have you tried it?

I dont  no how.

risk wrote:
stangri wrote:

Is there a reason to *not* include "ath10k-firmware-qca988x kmod-ath kmod-ath10k" in the images for devices which need those?

It's common practice to include whatever is needed in terms of drivers for normal operation.

Here we see that we include ath10k kernel module:
https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/blob … link.mk#L8

Here we see that ath10k-fimware requires kmod-ath10k
https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/blob … e/Makefile

There appear to be no legal obstacles for redistribution:
This page:
https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/use … k/firmware
leads me to a repo containing this file:
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kerne … s_firmware

yes, it does sound like the device profile should be fixed to include ath10k-firmware-qca988x by default.

Do you want to send a patch? https://dev.openwrt.org/wiki/SubmittingPatches

Hey, thanks for reply and encouragement. Unfortunately I'm pretty removed from the intricacies of the build process, so I have no idea what and how needs to be patched. Do you think creating a bug would help?

Sure.

With stock 15.05, is it normal to get ~150Mbps on 11ac with 2x2 clients?

Cheers.

In the same room wlan<->lan should be between 250 and 300 on ac.

I've got an Archer C7 version 3.0. OpenWrt's Table of Hardware doesn't indicate that OpenWrt is compatible with this version. Does anyone have v3? Has anyone successfully flashed OpenWrt to a v3 C7?

el_goretto wrote:

hardened vanilla++: **DO NOT USE IT** It's completely broken (device does not boot). FYI, be aware that the toolchain had to be switched from µclibc  to standard glibc, as the former doesn't support all the hardening features exposed by OpenWRT (namely SSP, maybe more). So instead of having something half hardened, I made the switch. This build is not supposed  to be compatible with the official OpenWRT packages repository (packages which aren't hardened anyway).

Where did you get that information from? Do you have any more details on that? In the original commit message for the hardening options it says:

uClibc makefile now automatically detects if SSP support is necessary.

This suggests that there would be support for SSP in uClibc, I'd assume. But I'd be happy to see more info on that, because I actually compile my own Chaos Calmer snapshot with the hardnening options enabled and the default uClibc.

el_goretto wrote:
  • DFS support fully enabled (following wiki instructions: replaced wpad-mini by hostapd & wpa-supplicant)

• removed artificial ath regulatory limitations (wiki source): ATH_USER_REGD=y

The latter is wrong. ATH_USER_REGD is not supposed to be used with ath10k. That is also stated on the wireless / DFS wiki page that you linked, too.

Oh, and one more thing I just noticed:

el_goretto wrote:
  • DFS support fully enabled (following wiki instructions: replaced wpad-mini by hostapd & wpa-supplicant)

The wiki instructions you mentioned, were outdated. At least on Chaos Calmer wpad-mini supports DFS just fine.

Hi I have a WDR7500 V5 PRC version in my hand, and i want to flash it to openwrt. is it possible? i only found V3 version in the trunk release. thank you very much!

pokingaround wrote:

I've got an Archer C7 version 3.0. OpenWrt's Table of Hardware doesn't indicate that OpenWrt is compatible with this version. Does anyone have v3? Has anyone successfully flashed OpenWrt to a v3 C7?

There's c7 v3 and there's wdr7500 v3.

There are multiple versions of software that ship on wdr7500. The factory image from trunk should be flashable through the webui on wdr7500 v3, and this was confirmed by at least one person.

If you have a wdr7500 v3 that shipped with a different software, with 2 uboots and that requires a crypto signed image, there's no easy way to flash that one AFAIK, and you might need a soic8 test clip, raspberry pi, and you night have tobuse flashrom with it.

loyukfai wrote:

I ran some tests today. My wireless AC client was a Macbook Air 13 (2014). I think it supports 2 streams, but since Apple doesn't mention that in the specs, I'm not certain. My router runs Chaos Calmer - however, I updated the firmware from 10.2.4.45 to 10.2.4.48, so that might have a small impact, too. Tests were done in the same room as the router at approx. 5m distance. I used iperf3 without any manual window/segment size adjustments.

Anyway, here are the results:

The maximum throughput I could get on the Macbook was:
~270Mbit/s

However, the results depend on how you test. This best value was achieved when the iperf3 server was running on a desktop computer with a wired gigabit ethernet connection. The Macbook connects as a client.
If I let the iperf3 server run on the OpenWrt router itself, though, the maximum I could get was was a bit lower, between 230-240Mbit/s.

Another thing I noticed: Due to DFS, my router switches channel from time to time. When the router does that, I sometimes end up on an apparently more jammed channel and the throughput drops to 120-130Mbps. So, in order to see what kind of performance to expect under ideal conditions, I would recommend to repeat the tests on different channels or use a channel that doesn't require DFS and stays fixed.

(Last edited by silentcreek on 22 Dec 2015, 23:03)

I just received a v5... God it is so bad... The firmware is very very limited it is not even the usual tp-link style, it's a new UI. Also there is no way to get to the u-boot, atleast not with tpl... I hope someone finds a way to get openwrt to work on v5 because as it is it's just a paperweight...

I don't know if it is of any use but I extracted the squashfs filesystem with binwalk and it has remains from attitude adjustment you can download the files here https://mega.nz/#!TE4TCDAJ!whVkvD8XeDmL … yOmaH1NZ-w

http://s13.postimg.org/h9dm9oq83/binwalk.jpg

(Last edited by stefanpaulos on 24 Dec 2015, 02:12)

stefanpaulos wrote:

I just received a v5... God it is so bad... The firmware is very very limited it is not even the usual tp-link style, it's a new UI. Also there is no way to get to the u-boot, atleast not with tpl... I hope someone finds a way to get openwrt to work on v5 because as it is it's just a paperweight...
I don't know if it is of any use but I extracted the squashfs filesystem with binwalk and it has remains from attitude adjustment you can download the files here https://mega.nz/#!TE4TCDAJ!whVkvD8XeDmL … yOmaH1NZ-w

now only 1 way to upgrade device to OpenWRT, flash it via flash programmer.
Last firmware for WDR7500 use new firmware format header

Thanks for the tip! Can I use a 16mb flash chip (Winbond W25Q128FV) like archer c7 v2?

Noticed WDR7500 V3 is in trunk now, does the TFTP flashing stated in the wiki work for it too? I don't have a serial cable to do it but would gladly try out the TFTP it works. I tried to boot it by holding the WPS button it just ends up with a factory reset. My TFTP server is on 192.168.0.66 like what the wiki says and the firmware us 3.13.X

EDIT: Saw there's a clean experimental version for v3 on the new wiki page. Is it advisable that I use this to flash to openwrt and then flash a trunk version over it?

(Last edited by colordeficiency on 28 Dec 2015, 00:41)

colordeficiency wrote:

Noticed WDR7500 V3 is in trunk now, does the TFTP flashing stated in the wiki work for it too? I don't have a serial cable to do it but would gladly try out the TFTP it works. I tried to boot it by holding the WPS button it just ends up with a factory reset. My TFTP server is on 192.168.0.66 like what the wiki says and the firmware us 3.13.X

EDIT: Saw there's a clean experimental version for v3 on the new wiki page. Is it advisable that I use this to flash to openwrt and then flash a trunk version over it?

Using the experimental version on the wiki also has the same firmware incompatible error. Any advise?

Archer C7 AC1750 V2

I was very excited to try out OpenWrt, I have used it successfully on a couple of routers now and it was one of the reasons I bought this one in the first place.

Unfortunately when I flashed it I began having connectivity problems. My 5G (N) wireless connection never lost internet connectivity it would periodically lose connectivity to the wired connection (linux/Unraid) that I'd set up with a fixed IP.

Is there a different build that I should be using instead of the one listed? (15.05)
https://downloads.openwrt.org/latest/ar … actory.bin

(Last edited by triffid98 on 10 Jan 2016, 06:08)

silentcreek wrote:
loyukfai wrote:

I ran some tests today. My wireless AC client was a Macbook Air 13 (2014). I think it supports 2 streams, but since Apple doesn't mention that in the specs, I'm not certain. My router runs Chaos Calmer - however, I updated the firmware from 10.2.4.45 to 10.2.4.48, so that might have a small impact, too. Tests were done in the same room as the router at approx. 5m distance. I used iperf3 without any manual window/segment size adjustments.

Anyway, here are the results:

The maximum throughput I could get on the Macbook was:
~270Mbit/s

I stand corrected. I ran a few more tests and realized that I made a stupid mistake. I used a USB gigabit ethernet adaptor on the wired computer when I ran the tests with the MacBook. I didn't realize that I had used a USB 2.0 port instead of USB 3.0 which is why the resulting speed was lower than the actual maximum.

So, I redid the tests today and the MacBook now shows a throughput of 430-450Mbit/s! That's more than enough for me. But it also shows that 150MBit/s on a client with 2 streams is quite low.

triffid98 wrote:

Archer C7 AC1750 V2

I was very excited to try out OpenWrt, I have used it successfully on a couple of routers now and it was one of the reasons I bought this one in the first place.

Unfortunately when I flashed it I began having connectivity problems. My 5G (N) wireless connection never lost internet connectivity it would periodically lose connectivity to the wired connection (linux/Unraid) that I'd set up with a fixed IP.

Is there a different build that I should be using instead of the one listed? (15.05)

Seriously, nobody? I really don't care if the AC range is sub-par (which isn't at all unusual for custom images) I just wanted this to actually work properly. It didn't. I've flashed back to stock and working fine but...

triffid98 wrote:

Seriously, nobody? I really don't care if the AC range is sub-par (which isn't at all unusual for custom images) I just wanted this to actually work properly. It didn't. I've flashed back to stock and working fine but...

Well, I never had any issues as you describe - and I use a number of wired clients (some connected directly to the router, some via a seperate unmanaged switch) as well as wireless devices. And I also haven't seen any complaints by someone else on the forums either... So, it's hard to tell why you face these issues. The image you reference is the correct one.

How did you set up the fixed IP?

triffid98 wrote:
triffid98 wrote:

Archer C7 AC1750 V2

Your experience is abnormal, probably you've got a faulty unit or faulty cabling or doing something wrong.

whyberg wrote:
stefanpaulos wrote:

now only 1 way to upgrade device to OpenWRT, flash it via flash programmer.
Last firmware for WDR7500 use new firmware format header

Hi, I've done the same mistake : flashing openwrt to WDT7500 over serial and had uboot self-destruct (no more console after reboot). Just before it died, it told me I had an LZMA decompression error.

I've ordered a clip and a spi programmer in the hope of flashing the winbond chip in-place (without de-soldering), is this possible ? and what would be the modification to be made to the header and bootloader to flash this successfully ?
thanks

Hello,

I bought wdr7500 recently and it is V5 ... original tp link  firmware 3.14.11  with RSA signature

I would like to "upgrade" to openwrt
Is there someone who could help me ?
I have a TFTP server, USB UART, and access to Uboot  ( "slp" password,I do not have login name)
If I try to upgrade it to openwrt archer c7 or wdr7500 v3 I have checksum failure or problem with RSA signature

Is there a WDR7500 V5 bin firmware wthout RSA signature

Thansk for your help

Hi!
What serial console login/password on factory ROM?

Sorry, posts 801 to 800 are missing from our archive.