OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Quallcomm qca9558/TP-Link WDR7500 support

The content of this topic has been archived between 1 May 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

I recently found out that the TPLink Archer C5 v1.2 is basically the same internally as the C7 v2 - and that you could get a boost (when using official firmwares) in the WiFi speeds.

I wonder if the same is true for the OpenWRT/Lede builds? Anyone any idea?

I am having an issue with the new C7 V2 routers (as it was on the recommended hardware page) with a serial number greater than 215C and installing openvpn.  Since the serial number is great than 215C, I cannot use the 15.05.1 build of OpenWRT as it will not install on the gd25q128 flash chip, so I am using the build at : zioncluster.ca/openwrt/archer-c7/ath10k-firmware-qca988x_2014-11-13-77f72b5f7dd940386d9e619a17904987759b7186-1_ar71xx.ipk.  This installs fine, but since it is a patched version of the 15.05.1 and has a different kernel ID, when I try to use opkg to install OpenVPN-OpenSSL I get the following:

Collected errors:
* satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for openvpn-openssl:
*      kernel (= 3.18.23-1-b2f200610f46d20ef52d269421369d0c) *
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package openvpn-openssl.

I understand why this is happening, the kernel build does not match the kernel build of opkg builds. The issue arises that I need to set up several routers and they all need openVPN set up on them. I have reviewed my options, and none of them are workable for me.

• Roll my own copy of  Openwrt 15.05.1, apply the patch, then compile and host my own copy of the opkg files. Not really an option

• Use the Trunk Build - Not really an option because I don't want unstable code, and in the future I may have this same issue with other packages as the build changes

• Try to --force-depends on the openvpn-openssl. I have tried this, and although openvpn-openssl runs, it does not create the tun device.

I know Roll your own may be the only option available to me, but that is just not feasible.   Anybody have any other ideas that might work? Do we know if the person who created the zioncluster.ca/openwrt/archer-c7/ath10k-firmware-qca988x_2014-11-13-77f72b5f7dd940386d9e619a17904987759b7186-1_ar71xx.ipk file can build and post the openvpn-openssl IPK and add it that machine?

Does anybody know if when 15.05.2 will come out?  That would solve all my problems. If  that is not coming out anytime soon, could 15.05.1.1 be created that just has the patch that allow 15.10.1 to be installed on newer C7 routers and has a set of opkg packages that will work with the kernel? This has been a issue since late 2015, and it seems that a new compile might be forthcoming.

(Last edited by mschneider1 on 31 Mar 2017, 15:17)

loyukfai

Do you know anything about the merge between LEDE and OpenWrt.  I have seen where this is happening, and it is noted that the OpenWrt name will be used on the merged project

lists.infradead.org/pipermail/lede-dev/2016-December/004786.html

Agreed upon:

- merging back together
- using OpenWrt as the merged back project name

I am not sure if I want to use LEDE and then have the URLs to the opkg files not work in the future. Do we know this won't be a problem?

(Last edited by mschneider1 on 31 Mar 2017, 16:21)

I'm afraid that I've bricked my router.

I have a wdr7500 v2 (the chinese version with 6 external antennas) and I haven't been able find any help with this particular router. Most of the information I've seen is for the newer Archer models.

I installed the version of Openwrt provided earlier in this thread by nosferatu over the original Chinese TP-link firmware that came on the router several years ago. That version of Openwrt has worked fine on the router for years until a few days ago. I was trying to set up my AT&T U-Verse router in Passthrough mode and use the wdr7500 to handle the routing and wireless duties. Well something happened along the way and after the wdr7500 rebooted it is no longer working.

None of the LED's are flashing abnormally like there is anything wrong, but I cannot connect to the router at all. I can put the router into failsafe mode with the rapidly flashing system LED, but I cannot connect to the router using telnet or ssh. I have manually changed my computer's IP address, subnet, and gateway and tried using both 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1 and the connection just times out every time.

I have tried the tftp recovery method shown in the wiki and the router will not connect to the tftp server at 192.168.0.66 or 192.168.1.66. I have tried uploading the stock tp-link firmware with the boot loader removed, and I have tried uploading the nosferatu Openwrt firmware that I was using and still no connection.

I have tried everything that I can think of short of opening up the router and attaching a serial cable. I don't really mind going this route, but if I'm going to spend money, I might as well spend my money on a new router instead of trying to fix an old broken router.

At this point I'm ready to throw the router in the trash and call it a day. I just wanted to see if anyone had any advice or anything that I may have overlooked. Thanks.

Hello, I have a Archer C7 (v1) router which I flashed with OpenWrt. But after flashing it the LAN-ports don't get any internet access. Pinging and running traceroute works perfectly fine from the router (ssh and luci), but there's no connection at all on the LAN side. Is there something I need to change in the configuration to make this happen?

Edit: Looking at Status->Routes in luci things seem reasonably OK, however there is nothing in Status->Firewall. I'm not sure whether or not this is relevant? When SSHd in and reloading the firewall I get warnings/errors that the iptable table 'filter' and 'nat' does not exist. Is this relevant?

And less important; I saw that the wiki page said that v1 only has 2.5GHz, but there's no wlan listed anywhere in OpenWrt? Any solution to this?

(Last edited by morten242 on 30 Apr 2017, 17:00)

HI I got a Archer C7 v2 that I trying to unbrick but when I try upload the recovery bin it get to between 85-99% the goes back to the reboot loop. I don't have a serial connetion to see what going on. I have try cut the stock bin file but with little to no understanding off edit the file I think I end up doing to wrong.
thank for the help

Thank you for the instructions. My experience was not as straightforward. Here is my routine to debrick Archer C7 v2 (EU) S/N 216.. using ethernet dongle and Ubuntu 16.04 liveusb (some/many parts here can be superflous but it works so I really don't care big_smile ):

- Fireup Ubuntu
- add universe repository from the software manager
- install packages, setup xinetd:
sudo apt-get install xinetd tftpd tftp
sudo gedit /etc/xinetd.d/tftp
- open gedit and copy the following

service tftp
{
protocol = udp
port = 69
socket_type = dgram
wait = yes
user = nobody
server = /usr/sbin/in.tftpd
server_args = /tftpboot
disable = no
}
- download Archer firmware version Archer C7_V2_150427 from tp-link.com (NOTE!! The newer firmware prevents you from installing openwrt). Unzip the package
-create /tftpboot, copy firmware with the correct name (at least for me), and change permissions. Finally restart xinetd
sudo mkdir /tftpboot
sudo cp /home/ubuntu/Downloads/'unzippedArcherfolder'/'ArcherFirmware' /tftpboot/ArcherC7v2_tp_recovery.bin
sudo chmod -R 777 /tftpboot
sudo chown -R nobody /tftpboot
sudo service xinetd restart
cd /tftpboot/
- now continue in terminal

tftp 192.168.0.66
binary
rexmt 1
timeout 60
trace

- now you can connect the ethernet cable to the LAN1 port and change the ethernet settings in the connection settings to (wired internet settings -> IP4v manual IP - add): IP 192.168.0.66, subnet 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.0.1

- go back to the terminal (with tftp open) and copy (shift+control+c) the following command:
put ArcherC7v2_tp_recovery.bin

- turn the router on while holding down the wps-button, with your other hand in the terminal paste your command until it says it sent away something (e.g. "sent ...")

- wait for a good 3 minutes, and you should be able to open 192.168.0.1 for router configuration. With this older firmware you can now simply download the factory bin-file (the newer chipset) from openwrt page (change the name to something short!). Openwrt should now install without problems.

-in terminal open telnet connection and change root password
telnet
open 192.168.1.1
passwd

- open ssh connection and install stuff you need e.g athk10, cant remember all the commands but something like this
ssh root@192.168.1.1
-insert password
opkg update
opkg install lucie-ssl athk10 firmware

Check the correct athk10 and firmware commands form the beginners guide on openwrt.org. Note that wireless connection is turned off by default, easy to open using your browser (192.168.1.1). Happy surfing!!

morten242 wrote:

Hello, I have a Archer C7 (v1) router which I flashed with OpenWrt. But after flashing it the LAN-ports don't get any internet access. Pinging and running traceroute works perfectly fine from the router (ssh and luci), but there's no connection at all on the LAN side. Is there something I need to change in the configuration to make this happen?

Edit: Looking at Status->Routes in luci things seem reasonably OK, however there is nothing in Status->Firewall. I'm not sure whether or not this is relevant? When SSHd in and reloading the firewall I get warnings/errors that the iptable table 'filter' and 'nat' does not exist. Is this relevant?

And less important; I saw that the wiki page said that v1 only has 2.5GHz, but there's no wlan listed anywhere in OpenWrt? Any solution to this?

Hello, i have all the same problems with you. i also tried to install ddwrt and lede latest releases and my router bricked. Did you fix your problems?

The discussion might have continued from here.