OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Tp-link Tl-wr703n

The content of this topic has been archived between 18 Mar 2015 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

kenneth wrote:

Sorry is i don't know how to use mount_root.

what i did was update the tl wr703n with this       

SECN1.1
      Version: WR703N v1-SN1_5 (r28943)

end up become i can't change the password by using telnet 192.168.1.1 and passwd.

this is what i get when i try to change passwd
passwd: /etc/passwd: Read-only file system
passwd: can't update password file /etc/passwd

please advice. thanks

Really don't know what you did.
Maybe you need to try to tell us more detail, don't just say "....cannot...."

Normally rootfs is writable.
Yours just like in safemode.
Did you press the button during bootup ?  Why ?

Don't know how to use "mount_root" ??
Just type in, then press [enter],
and pls read the documentation.

(Last edited by johan666 on 21 Mar 2012, 16:21)

I just found out that the wifi radio of the 703n router that I converted to 8M flash stopped working.  It no longer appear on the Network section after I reflashed a new firmware package.  Then I found that the problem was because I didn't put the right "art" partition in the proper place.  After I did that, everything works fine now.

(Last edited by twinclouds on 22 Mar 2012, 05:20)

Please help me! I bricked my tp-link 703

I wanted to restore the router to factory settings, and Google pointed me to a page https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=154872 I was careless enough to type the command mtd-r erase rootfs and now the router does not work. When you turn on blue LED lights, the failsafe I can not enter (reset button pinched for 60 seconds and power on router). Is it possible to restore the it?

Stan D wrote:

Please help me! I bricked my tp-link 703

I wanted to restore the router to factory settings, and Google pointed me to a page https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=154872 I was careless enough to type the command mtd-r erase rootfs and now the router does not work. When you turn on blue LED lights, the failsafe I can not enter (reset button pinched for 60 seconds and power on router). Is it possible to restore the it?

You have erased all the system files.
Maybe you need to build the serial port and reflash again, that's the only thing you can do.
Or, buy a new one.

Don't erase or over-write anything except you know exactly what is it.

johan666 wrote:

Really don't know what you did.
Maybe you need to try to tell us more detail, don't just say "....cannot...."

Normally rootfs is writable.
Yours just like in safemode.
Did you press the button during bootup ?  Why ?

Don't know how to use "mount_root" ??
Just type in, then press [enter],
and pls read the documentation.

hi actually i thought i just need to upgrade the firmware so that i can use the usb in sg.

what i did is just upgrade the firmware with this (openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr703n-v1-SN1_5-squashfs-factory.bin)

http://villagetelco.org/download/archiv … -v1-SN1_5/

after i upgrade i didn't continue furture cause i thought it is done and can use. however when i try to use it and i can't connect it.

so i ask for help in forum.
i was able to use telnet and change passwd. but after i type reboot -f and using internet explorer to login with 192.168.1.1 but fail to connect.

i also tried to type in mount_root, but it give me read only

i really confuse now.
can teach me from the start so i can try to figure out where i wrong.
do i need to short or solder the hardware? ( i haven't short my hardware yet)

johan666 wrote:

Maybe you need to build the serial port and reflash again, that's the only thing you can do.
Or, buy a new one.

that is, I deleted everything including the kernel, bootloader, init.d? It is possible that the serial is not even loaded? Is it possible to use the jtag?

kenneth wrote:

i was able to use telnet and change passwd. but after i type reboot -f and using internet explorer to login with 192.168.1.1 but fail to connect.

you must connect with ssh 192.168.1.1, get internet working, and install a web GUI (Luci..)

carefully follow this:

http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/basic.config

Stan D wrote:
johan666 wrote:

Or, buy a new one.

that is, I deleted everything including the kernel, bootloader, init.d? It is possible that the serial is not even loaded? Is it possible to use the jtag?

I thought the uboot section is protected and I don't believe you can delete it without special setup.  If it is still there, you should be able to use the serial console.

(Last edited by twinclouds on 22 Mar 2012, 19:00)

Stan D wrote:

I think you haven't delete the kernel, it is in different partition,
but means no differences to you.
Just like, you deleted c:\windows\system32, your windows won't bootup.

Not every router has jtag.
even some have one, unlike some other digital devices, you still can't direct access to eeprom.
that means even there is a jtag port, you still can't flash data directly to eeprom.
it is h/w limitation.

703n only has serial port.
I'm not familiar with that.
search some article about unbrick with serial port.

twinclouds wrote:

You are right.  I was meant for Stan D.
??????????????????? smile.

I.c tongue

Anyway, I found that the current truck (with kernel 3.2.9)
is less stable than previous 3.2.5 and before.
Especially in bridged AP mode, router will reboot if the signal is weak,
or will affect connection quality to other client ap.

johan666 wrote:

Anyway, I found that the current truck (with kernel 3.2.9)
is less stable than previous 3.2.5 and before.
Especially in bridged AP mode, router will reboot if the signal is weak,
or will affect connection quality to other client ap.

I am still using very old trunk (2.6.x?).
For bridged AP mode, do you mean client mode?  I would like set it as a bridge but haven't tried it yet.  I want to use it as a wifi to ethernet adapter.  Which mode will be most stable from your experience?  I only see client and client (WDS) like the useful modes available.

twinclouds wrote:

I am still using very old trunk (2.6.x?).
For bridged AP mode, do you mean client mode?  I would like set it as a bridge but haven't tried it yet.  I want to use it as a wifi to ethernet adapter.  Which mode will be most stable from your experience?  I only see client and client (WDS) like the useful modes available.

Yes, client and AP, (STA via AP mode).
Wifi to Ethernet adapter, make it as wifi receiver (sta mode), no problem at all,
much more better than any USB-wifi receiver, at least no additional driver and software is needed.
(routed or non-route just up to you.)

However if you reproduce a AP, make it has Repeater or AP Bridge capability.
you will get some stability issue.
Sometimes even just scan the network, 703n will hang or reboot.
But in older trunk doesn't experience such problems.

I didn't test WDS, so I don't know.

nebbia88 wrote:
kenneth wrote:

you must connect with ssh 192.168.1.1, get internet working, and install a web GUI (Luci..)

carefully follow this:

http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/basic.config

hi
i really a noob in this.... i tried to study basic.config. still confuse.
just now i tried using PuTTY to login and it success. (i using PuTTY due to i don't know what is LuCI but i tired too)
then i key in opkg update with internet connection but it fail and writen bad address.

after i login using PuTTY and what should i need to do?

Thanks

kenneth wrote:

i really a noob in this.... i tried to study basic.config. still confuse.
just now i tried using PuTTY to login and it success. (i using PuTTY due to i don't know what is LuCI but i tired too)
then i key in opkg update with internet connection but it fail and writen bad address.

after i login using PuTTY and what should i need to do?

Thanks

So you have changed password ?

After login with putty or telnet or whatever, that is Linux shell environment.......  openwrt is Linux base.
Something like DOS prompt or Windows Command prompt(cmd)    (actually DOS is copying from Linux/unix)
If you know nothing about Linux then it will be difficult for you,
because the command sets are totally different from DOS.

Your 703n won't have internet connection unless you properly config the network of it.

LuCI is a Web-interface, it let you use your web browser(IE / firefox) to connect to your router rather than login and typing commands.
It is not pre-installed in openwrt.

If you really want to learn something new, welcome to openwrt.
Since you are noob, I would recommend you use Sam's firmware.
It is custom build of openwrt for 703n, it also build-in many useful functions, such as USB storage / audio support, NAS support, and of coz come WebUI.
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=150596

Or, maybe it is easier if using dd-wrt.

Now, you are inside the shell, it is no turning back.
Go back to basic.config, take a look to "uci" command, it is easier for you than the text editor.

Hi,

I try using openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr703n-v1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin, march 14. I installed it after a failsafe reboot. I can log on telnet, but if i change root passwd, and reboot, I can not connect with ssh : invalid password ( or invalid key). I can no more login with telnet, so I am confused.

Is this version unstable ? or is it something else that's wrong ?

After installation of this firmware, when I login for the first time using telnet, must I run firstboot or mount_root ?

I need help
Thank you

minscof wrote:

Hi,

I try using openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr703n-v1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin, march 14. I installed it after a failsafe reboot. I can log on telnet, but if i change root passwd, and reboot, I can not connect with ssh : invalid password ( or invalid key). I can no more login with telnet, so I am confused.

After installation of this firmware, when I login for the first time using telnet, must I run firstboot or mount_root ?

I need help
Thank you

After you telnet and changed password, telnet will be disabled automatically.
what ssh client you are using ?  putty ?

What do you mean cannot connect with ssh.......invaild password ??
Cannot connect ??  or cannot login ??

Hi, I have been use my 703n with openwrt at home connecting to my ethernet lan and it works fine.  Now, I want to set it to be used in hotels so it need to connect to a wan.  My question is if can set it this way in luci or I will need to manually edit the config/network file.  Since it has only one ethernet port, it can only used for one purpose, right?  I noticed catchmahesh have shown the content of his network file.  I guess I can simply modify that.  However, as maurer said, there is only one eth0 port so it should be used in the wan section.  If I did so, do I need to delete eth0 in the 'ifname' line and use 'wlan0' instead?  Finally, how should I set up the firewall file in this case?  It will be great if somebody can give some examples of network and firewall files for this case.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Again, does anybody have experience to set the 703n as a router with the eth0 for wan and wlan0 for lan?  After I modify the /etc/config/network file as follows, the notebook or tablet can see the wifi signal but cannot acquire the address.
Any help will be appreciated.
/etc/config/network:

config 'interface' 'loopback'
        option 'ifname' 'lo'
        option 'proto' 'static'
        option 'ipaddr' '127.0.0.1'
        option 'netmask' '255.0.0.0'

config 'interface' 'lan'
        option 'type' 'bridge'
        option 'proto' 'static'
        option 'ipaddr' '192.168.1.1'
        option 'netmask' '255.255.255.0'
        option 'ifname' ''

config 'interface' 'wan'
        option 'ifname' 'eth0'
        option 'proto' 'dhcp'

(Last edited by twinclouds on 26 Mar 2012, 07:12)

twinclouds wrote:

Again, does anybody have experience to set the 703n as a router with the eth0 for wan and wlan0 for lan?  After I modify the /etc/config/network file as follows, the notebook or tablet can see the wifi signal but cannot acquire the address.
/etc/config/network:

option 'ifname' 'lo'
        option 'proto' 'static'

config 'interface' 'lan'
        option 'type' 'bridge'
        option 'proto' 'static'
        option 'ifname' ''

config 'interface' 'wan'
        option 'ifname' 'eth0'
        option 'proto' 'dhcp'

this feature works without much tweaking at all. you just need to move the 'ifname' option to wan interface.what's your problem?

sin wrote:
twinclouds wrote:

/etc/config/network:

option 'ifname' 'lo'
        option 'proto' 'static'

config 'interface' 'lan'
        option 'type' 'bridge'
        option 'proto' 'static'
        option 'ifname' ''

config 'interface' 'wan'
        option 'ifname' 'eth0'
        option 'proto' 'dhcp'

this feature works without much tweaking at all. you just need to move the 'ifname' option to wan interface.what's your problem?

Not sure what do you mean.  Do I need to change anything in my network file shown?
Using the file as is.  My tablet can see the wifi signal from the 703n but cannot acquire it.

johan666 wrote:
minscof wrote:

Hi,

I need help
Thank you

After you telnet and changed password, telnet will be disabled automatically.
what ssh client you are using ?  putty ?

What do you mean cannot connect with ssh.......invaild password ??
Cannot connect ??  or cannot login ??

@johan666
Yes, I use putty to connect thru ssh. I can connect, but login fails, with invalid password. So I decide to test another firmware, pulseadio firmware from this link :https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=150597#p150597 and it works now. I guess nigthbuild from march 14 may have something wrong.