OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Tp-link Tl-wr703n

The content of this topic has been archived between 18 Mar 2015 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

rw950431 wrote:

N00b question...

I've flashed my tl-wr703n using  squashfs-factory.bin  from http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr703n

Do I now re-flash using squashfs-sysupgrade.bin?  Is there any advantage to doing this?

Its not clear to me from the openwrt docco but http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi … amp;t=1359 suggests that -factory is for flashing from stock while -sysupgrade is for firmware updates

You can use either.  I think the difference is factory.bin could keep all of your setting but not your data.  sysupgrade can also keep your data.

(Last edited by twinclouds on 27 Mar 2012, 03:57)

@rw950431

There's no advantage to an immediate sysupgrade reflash.   You can use it if, after a time, you find there is a new feature you want which is not available through opkg, or if your existing system is in some way broken.  You can also use if if you want to install a new package from trunk, but trunk is no longer compatible with your version.

Is there a how-to on the 8M flash upgrade?

trying to get usb storage to work and having a few issues, i dont seem to be able to find the latest packages for 3.2.12

dmesg:

7.720000] crc16: version magic '3.2.9 mod_unload MIPS32_R2 32BIT ' should be '3.2.12 mod_unload MIPS32_R2 32BIT '
[    7.840000] scsi_mod: version magic '3.2.9 mod_unload MIPS32_R2 32BIT ' should be '3.2.12 mod_unload MIPS32_R2 32BIT '
[    7.970000] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbfs
[    7.970000] usbcore: registered new interface driver hub
[    7.980000] usbcore: registered new device driver usb
[    8.000000] mbcache: version magic '3.2.9 mod_unload MIPS32_R2 32BIT ' should be '3.2.12 mod_unload MIPS32_R2 32BIT '
[    8.060000] jbd2: version magic '3.2.9 mod_unload MIPS32_R2 32BIT ' should be '3.2.12 mod_unload MIPS32_R2 32BIT '
[    8.370000] ext4: version magic '3.2.9 mod_unload MIPS32_R2 32BIT ' should be '3.2.12 mod_unload MIPS32_R2 32BIT '
[    8.420000] sd_mod: version magic '3.2.9 mod_unload MIPS32_R2 32BIT ' should be '3.2.12 mod_unload MIPS32_R2 32BIT '
[    8.470000] ehci_hcd: USB 2.0 'Enhanced' Host Controller (EHCI) Driver
[    8.470000] ath79-ehci ar933x-ehci: Atheros built-in EHCI controller
[    8.480000] ath79-ehci ar933x-ehci: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
[    8.520000] ath79-ehci ar933x-ehci: irq 3, io mem 0x1b000000
[    8.540000] ath79-ehci ar933x-ehci: USB 2.0 started, EHCI 1.00
[    8.540000] hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
[    8.540000] hub 1-0:1.0: 1 port detected
[    8.580000] uhci_hcd: version magic '3.2.9 mod_unload MIPS32_R2 32BIT ' should be '3.2.12 mod_unload MIPS32_R2 32BIT '
[    8.640000] usb_storage: version magic '3.2.9 mod_unload MIPS32_R2 32BIT ' should be '3.2.12 mod_unload MIPS32_R2 32BIT '
[    8.870000] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using ath79-ehci

not sure if this is the issue or its just complaining for no reason, fdisk doesnt spot the usb drive and it doesnt appear in /dev as sda which i think it should?

opkg.conf comes from:
src/gz snapshots http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … x/packages

any ideas?
thanks

[edit] i fixed this by rolling back to a previous release

(Last edited by Scratch on 29 Mar 2012, 15:36)

I flashed a image a few days ago (I don´t know which one) and now I don´t know the IP, have no access :-(
I can see 2 hotspots: vt-mesh and VT-SECN-AP, no idea why 2 wifi now?
In failsafe I can reach the router with 192.168.1.1 but I don´t have write access.
Any idea how I can flash a other image, and if yes which one?

Thx in advance 4 ur help and sorry for my english and my bad linux skills!

pbezza wrote:

Is there a how-to on the 8M flash upgrade?

Do you have a flash programmer?

@Homer,

In failsafe, can you restore defaults with "firstboot<Enter>" at the prompt, power cycle, and telnet in at 192.168.1.1?

If so, you then have read/write access, can wget an image into /tmp (maybe the image from trunk), and reflash with mtd (as best I recollect).

Hello from FRANCE wink
sorry for my bad english :-/

thanks for this topic that help me to setup my new TL-WR703n with OpenWRT wink

I've successfully setup a REAL OPENWRT REPEATER BRIDGE (with relayd package)

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 30#p159330
http://trac.gateworks.com/wiki/relayd
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/relayclient
special thanks to johan666 wink

example on this NETWORK PICTURE
existing network is on the RIGHT (192.168.1.1)
extended network (with REPEATER) is on the LEFT (192.168.2.1 - not really used - just for setup)
http://wiki.openwrt.org/_detail/doc/how … elayclient

You must have OpenWRT firmware with the package 'relayd' installed

ADSL MODEM ROUTER BOX (FREEBOX v6 - FRANCE)
is my first existing AP with DHCP SERVER with subnet 192.168.0.x (DHCP SERVER is 192.168.0.254)
1st SSID = SSID / WPA2-PSK
so, all my existing LAN devices are connected on the same subnet LAN ie. 192.168.0.x

I want extend the range of my existing wireless Access Point (SSID - 192.168.0.x)
by relaying between a local virtual AP (TL-WR703n with OpenWRT) and client attached to an upstream AP

Now, after installing and setup my TL-WR703n as a REAL REPEATER BRIDGE
i've got this: 2nd SSID = SSID-REPEATER (i can put the same name that the 1st SSID if i want, cool smile)
and all my others LAN devices (connected to SSID-REPEATER) are on the same subnet LAN ie. 192.168.0.x too wink

NOTA:
My existing LAN is on 192.168.0.0 and my DHCP SERVER is 192.168.0.254

To acheive the OpenWRT setup with "relayd",
i have to put a different IP address for the LAN interface of the TL-WR703n => such as 192.168.1.x or 192.168.5.x
and my computer must be on the same subnet (192.168.1.x or 192.168.5.x)
The TL-WR703n is connected to my computer with a ethernet cable.
i've put 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0 static IP address on the TL-WR703n LAN interface
i've put 192.168.1.2/255.255.255.0 static IP address on my computer LAN interface (just for setup - after i will return in DHCP mode)

we must understand that the IP address of the LAN interface (ie. 192.168.1.1)
is simply there to configure OpenWRT TL-WR703n as a REPEATER BRIDGE (OpenWRT with relayd)

after, that LAN IP address is actually not visible to the LAN devices.

Finally, make sure the IP address of the LAN interface (for the setup)
is in a different subnet as the existing Wireless Network you want to connect (and repeat)

OK, I'm a real newbie and I struggled to understand this in the tutorials & wiki...

HERE IS MY CONFIGURATION FILES smile

===================================================================
NETWORK
config interface 'loopback'
    option ifname 'lo'
    option proto 'static'
    option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
    option netmask '255.0.0.0'

# Make sure the IP address of the lan interface is in a different subnet as the wwan network you want to connect
# The different IP address of the lan interface is just for the setup.

config interface 'lan'
    option proto 'static'
    option netmask '255.255.255.0'
    option ipaddr '192.168.1.1'
    option type 'bridge'
    option _orig_ifname 'eth0'
    option _orig_bridge 'true'
    option ifname 'eth0'

config interface 'wwan'
    option proto 'dhcp'

config interface 'stabridge'
    option proto 'relay'
    list network 'lan'
    list network 'wwan'

WIRELESS
config wifi-device 'radio0'
    option type 'mac80211'
    option phy 'phy0'
    list ht_capab 'SHORT-GI-20'
    list ht_capab 'SHORT-GI-40'
    list ht_capab 'RX-STBC1'
    list ht_capab 'DSSS_CCK-40'
    option country 'FR'
    option txpower '17'
    option disabled '0'
    option channel '11'

config wifi-iface
    option device 'radio0'
    option mode 'sta'
    option network 'wwan'
    option ssid 'SSID'
    option key 'xxxxxxxxxxx'
    option encryption 'psk'

config wifi-iface
    option device 'radio0'
    option mode 'ap'
    option encryption 'psk2'
    option network 'lan'
    option key 'xxxxxxxxxxx'
    option ssid 'SSID-REPEATER'

DHCP
config dnsmasq
    option boguspriv '1'
    option localise_queries '1'
    option rebind_protection '1'
    option rebind_localhost '1'
    option local '/lan/'
    option domain 'lan'
    option expandhosts '1'
    option readethers '1'
    option leasefile '/tmp/dhcp.leases'
    option resolvfile '/tmp/resolv.conf.auto'
    option domainneeded '1'

config dhcp 'lan'
    option interface 'lan'
    option ignore '1'

# Make sure the DHCP server is disabled for the local area network
# It's the first upstream wireless network (wwan) that provides DHCP server

config dhcp 'wan'
    option interface 'wan'
    option ignore '1'

FIREWALL
config defaults
    option syn_flood '1'
    option input 'ACCEPT'
    option output 'ACCEPT'
    option drop_invalid '1'
    option forward 'ACCEPT'

config zone
    option name 'lan'
    option input 'ACCEPT'
    option output 'ACCEPT'
    option forward 'ACCEPT'
    option network 'lan'

config zone
    option name 'wan'
    option input 'REJECT'
    option output 'ACCEPT'
    option forward 'REJECT'
    option masq '1'
    option mtu_fix '1'
    option network 'wan staAP wwan'

config forwarding
    option src 'lan'
    option dest 'wan'

config rule
    option src 'wan'
    option proto 'udp'
    option dest_port '68'
    option target 'ACCEPT'
    option family 'ipv4'

config rule
    option src 'wan'
    option proto 'icmp'
    option icmp_type 'echo-request'
    option family 'ipv4'
    option target 'ACCEPT'

config rule
    option src 'wan'
    option proto 'icmp'
    list icmp_type 'echo-request'
    list icmp_type 'destination-unreachable'
    list icmp_type 'packet-too-big'
    list icmp_type 'time-exceeded'
    list icmp_type 'bad-header'
    list icmp_type 'unknown-header-type'
    list icmp_type 'router-solicitation'
    list icmp_type 'neighbour-solicitation'
    option limit '1000/sec'
    option family 'ipv6'
    option target 'ACCEPT'

config rule
    option src 'wan'
    option dest '*'
    option proto 'icmp'
    list icmp_type 'echo-request'
    list icmp_type 'destination-unreachable'
    list icmp_type 'packet-too-big'
    list icmp_type 'time-exceeded'
    list icmp_type 'bad-header'
    list icmp_type 'unknown-header-type'
    option limit '1000/sec'
    option family 'ipv6'
    option target 'ACCEPT'

config include
    option path '/etc/firewall.user'

(Last edited by paillassou on 30 Mar 2012, 15:19)

I just had one of these thrown at me today with the demand "make it work". However my skills are not really up to par on this and reading through the existing guides is proving more frustrating than anything.

Is there a simple guide for this?

JetBot wrote:

I just had one of these thrown at me today with the demand "make it work". However my skills are not really up to par on this and reading through the existing guides is proving more frustrating than anything.

Is there a simple guide for this?

You need to explain you want make what to work and for what purpose.

(Last edited by twinclouds on 30 Mar 2012, 18:16)

Honestly I barely understand what they even want here. Apparently because I can tell my arse from my elbow this makes me a "whizz with computers"
I've just had this thing handed over after he's spent hours fucking around with this trying to get openwrt working on it along with some web interface, then after thoroughly fucking everything up or getting stuck he decided to hand it to me.

Ok I've finally gotten some answers now.
Apparently he installed openwrt but is failing to actually get it to connect to the net to download a web interface. The guides all seem to go on about editing a config file but it has been years since I fucked around with editing that sort of thing from the command line

@JetBot

We still don't know what you want to do with the router--there are many options.  In addition, your language could be considered offputting by some who might otherwise be willing to provide assistance.

paillassou wrote:

Hello from FRANCE wink
sorry for my bad english :-/

thanks for this topic that help me to setup my new TL-WR703n with OpenWRT wink

I've successfully setup a REAL OPENWRT REPEATER BRIDGE (with relayd package)

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 30#p159330
http://trac.gateworks.com/wiki/relayd
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/relayclient
special thanks to johan666 wink

example on this NETWORK PICTURE
existing network is on the RIGHT (192.168.1.1)
extended network (with REPEATER) is on the LEFT (192.168.2.1 - not really used - just for setup)
http://wiki.openwrt.org/_detail/doc/how … elayclient

You must have OpenWRT firmware with the package 'relayd' installed

ADSL MODEM ROUTER BOX (FREEBOX v6 - FRANCE)
is my first existing AP with DHCP SERVER with subnet 192.168.0.x (DHCP SERVER is 192.168.0.254)
1st SSID = SSID / WPA2-PSK
so, all my existing LAN devices are connected on the same subnet LAN ie. 192.168.0.x

I want extend the range of my existing wireless Access Point (SSID - 192.168.0.x)
by relaying between a local virtual AP (TL-WR703n with OpenWRT) and client attached to an upstream AP

Now, after installing and setup my TL-WR703n as a REAL REPEATER BRIDGE
i've got this: 2nd SSID = SSID-REPEATER (i can put the same name that the 1st SSID if i want, cool smile)
and all my others LAN devices (connected to SSID-REPEATER) are on the same subnet LAN ie. 192.168.0.x too wink

Good for you!
If your ADSL modem router support WDS, you can use WDS instead so that you can skip relayd and save some space.

Hi All

I'm the guy (his old man in fact) who "threw" the gadget at JetBot and said "make it work" because I had a little time away from work with things to do and figured the self professed computer whizz could sort it out. Very dissapointed.

Anyhow, enough of family issues.

The WR703N was presented to me by a guy I work with who had seen the Edimax Nano Router I use when overseas and bought the WR703N on e-bay because it was cheaper, he's also an Apple device fan but I don't hold that against him. Given his inability to read the "Chinese only" warning on the e-bay advert you'd be shocked if you knew what he does for a living.

I maintain aircraft avionics systems for a living and whilst not a self professed computer whizz I can usually sort out any issues presented to me as in my past I have scripted a little here and there.

That said heres my problem.

I figured there would be a replacement firmware out there somewhere and was in a little bit of a rush. As Open WRT was the first one that seemed to offer a solution I flashed the appropriate firmware on the WR703N using PUTTY run on my Windows 7 laptop.

Following the guide I then set up the root password, turned on the wireless and set a WPA password for the wireless again all using PUTTY running on a Windows 7 Laptop.

All appeared well and I could connect my Windows 7 laptop to it wirelessly and through it access the internet. Then I tried to connect my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 to it and it connected to it after having asked for the WPA password. Same for my Samsung Galaxy S2 cell phone. Good so far you would have thought, not so. Whilst my windows 7 laptop could access the internet through the WR703N my Tab and cell phone can not. It did not matter in which order I connected them only my laptop would access the internet through the WR703N.

For info the accommodation in which we were staying had a broadband modem with a LAN connection output that I could use. The broadband modem has no router capability.

When using my Edimax Nano Router all wirelessly connected devices could access the internet. So I figured in someway the WR703N is not handling mutiple devices correctly.

When I got home to UK and connected the WR703N to my modem/router at home all is well, but when I dig a little deeper I find whilst the mutiple devices are accessing the internet whilst connected wirelessly to the WR703N the actual handling is been carried out by my modem/router, my modem/router is issuing the devices their IP addressess, etc.

At this point I realised I needed to instal LUCI so I could see what was going on a little easier, this is when it got complicated, for me at least.
I think essentially the WR703N can't access the internet to download stuff to it as when I enter

opkg update

all I get is

unable to find downloads.openwrt.org

I've tried to configure the WR703N along the lines of

option ifname 'lo'
    option proto 'static'

config interface 'lan'
    option proto 'static'

which I found on another forum but to no avail.

So essentially I'm at the limit of my network knowledge.

What I really need is a package that I can use from my Windows 7 laptop that will just flash the WR703N with the firmware and a web interface in one go. Or failing that that I need someone to explain it to me in non network guru terms so I can sort it. Then I can give it back to the gent who dropped it in my lap.

Guys, sorry for the online profanity used by JetBot and any help you can give me would be most appreciated.

As an incentive, once its working I'll tell you what its buyer does for a living.

(Last edited by Veri-Gash on 31 Mar 2012, 22:31)

@Veri-Gash

I wouldn't have any idea why your laptop could connect ok and your other devices couldn't.

There are a number of ways to accomplish what you want.  Editing the configuration files by hand can a problem.  I've been doing it for years and still sometimes get the device into a state where I have to start over.

If you can flash something new, you might find that "sam's firmware" (https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=33387) will do what you want to do.  The link to his firmware file is in the second post.

If you plug the 703N with this firmware into a router or cable modem, it should link up automatically and allow you to go into its web configuration page and set up the wireless.  Then you should connect devices and have access to the internet.

If you are accessing the 703N with putty at 192.168.1.1, I assume you have no other router on your system which is using that number?  Also, your network uses 192.168.1.n?  If you have a router which might already use 192.168.1.1, change the ipaddr on the 703N.

If you are plugged into a device with internet access--e.g., a cable or dsl modem, what is the output (on the 703N) of the command "ifconfig" (for wireless, try "iwconfig")? 

If the question is how to get the new firmware onto the device when you don't have web access, do you have openssh-sftp-server installed?  If so, you can use winscp to connect from Win7 to the 703N and then can use mtd to update the firmware (see the wiki on the 703n).  To see what packages you have installed, use "opkg list-installed".

If you remain stuck, provide more info.

Veri-Gash wrote:

opkg update

all I get is

I've tried to configure the WR703N along the lines of

option ifname 'lo'
    option proto 'static'

config interface 'lan'
    option proto 'static'

which I found on another forum but to no avail.

So essentially I'm at the limit of my network knowledge.

What I really need is a package that I can use from my Windows 7 laptop that will just flash the WR703N with the firmware and a web interface in one go. Or failing that that I need someone to explain it to me in non network guru terms so I can sort it. Then I can give it back to the gent who dropped it in my lap.

Guys, sorry for the online profanity used by JetBot and any help you can give me would be most appreciated.

As an incentive, once its working I'll tell you what its buyer does for a living.

What is your internet connection ?
How you connect to internet ?
Then your 703N connect to what ?

If the above is your config, then you are missing DNS and GATEWAY.
But without knowing your network, it is impossible to tell you how to setup.
And if you don't know network guru terms, you better switch to dd-wrt or go back to stock.

Hi everyone,

I'm just starting out with my TL-WR703N, but have come across a problem - can someone point me in the right direction?

Everything seems to have flashed properly and I can ssh in, trouble is "opkg update" is just hanging at

root@OpenWrt:~# opkg update
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … ackages.gz.

I can ping and traceroute to downloads.openwrt.org from the router without any problems.  The only other file I have edited is /etc/config/network which is now

option ifname 'lo'
    option proto 'static'

config interface 'lan'
    option ifname 'eth0'
    option type 'bridge'
    option proto 'static'
    option ipaddr '192.168.0.210'
    option gateway '192.168.0.1'
    option dns '208.67.222.222'

Many thanks for any pointers you can give me.

@lizby

Thanks for your offer of help, greatly appreciated.

Thanks for pointing out Sam's Firmaware versions, sounds like just what I need.

The WR703N is the only device on my network that uses 192.168.1.1 so no issues there I hope.

Having connected the WR703N to my modem/router using a network cable and connecting my Win 7 laptop wirelessly to the WR703N, when I open PUTTY and enter the commands ifconfig, iwconfig and opkg list-installed, I get the following responses;

root@OpenWrt:~# ifconfig

br-lan

Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 5C:63:BF:FE:B6:42
inet addr:192.168.1.1  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
RX packets:530 errors:0 dropped:53 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:219 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:39797 (38.8 KiB)  TX bytes:32834 (32.0 KiB)

eth0

RX packets:1470 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:1143 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:1368263 (1.3 MiB)  TX bytes:151771 (148.2 KiB)
Interrupt:4

Lo

Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
RX packets:4080 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:4080 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:277440 (270.9 KiB)  TX bytes:277440 (270.9 KiB)

mon.wlan0

Link encap:UNSPEC  HWaddr 5C-63-BF-FE-B6-42-00-48-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
RX packets:703 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:32
RX bytes:92720 (90.5 KiB)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

wlan0

RX packets:1348 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:1827 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:32
RX bytes:171609 (167.5 KiB)  TX bytes:1447158 (1.3 MiB)

root@OpenWrt:~# iwconfig

lo

no wireless extensions.

wlan0

IEEE 802.11bgn  Mode:Master  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Tx-Power=18 dBm
RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
Power Management:on

eth0

no wireless extensions.

mon.wlan0

IEEE 802.11bgn  Mode:Monitor  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Tx-Power=18 dBm
RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
Power Management:on

br-lan

no wireless extensions.

root@OpenWrt:~# opkg list-installed

base-files - 104-r30919
base-files-network - 4
busybox - 1.19.3-10
crda - 1.1.1-1
dnsmasq - 2.59-2
dropbear - 2011.54-2
firewall - 2-47
hotplug2 - 1.0-beta-4
iptables - 1.4.10-4
iw - 3.3-1
kernel - 3.2.9-1-7ca3c65ac3709dabad42d460596851da
kmod-ath - 3.2.9+2012-02-27-1
kmod-ath9k - 3.2.9+2012-02-27-1
kmod-ath9k-common - 3.2.9+2012-02-27-1
kmod-cfg80211 - 3.2.9+2012-02-27-1
kmod-crypto-aes - 3.2.9-1
kmod-crypto-arc4 - 3.2.9-1
kmod-crypto-core - 3.2.9-1
kmod-gpio-button-hotplug - 3.2.9-1
kmod-ipt-conntrack - 3.2.9-1
kmod-ipt-core - 3.2.9-1
kmod-ipt-nat - 3.2.9-1
kmod-ipt-nathelper - 3.2.9-1
kmod-leds-gpio - 3.2.9-1
kmod-ledtrig-usbdev - 3.2.9-1
kmod-lib-crc-ccitt - 3.2.9-1
kmod-mac80211 - 3.2.9+2012-02-27-1
kmod-nls-base - 3.2.9-1
kmod-ppp - 3.2.9-1
kmod-pppoe - 3.2.9-1
kmod-usb-core - 3.2.9-1
kmod-usb-ohci - 3.2.9-1
kmod-usb2 - 3.2.9-1
kmod-wdt-ath79 - 3.2.9-1
libc - 0.9.33-104
libgcc - 4.6-linaro-104
libip4tc - 1.4.10-4
libnl-tiny - 0.1-2
libuci - 2012-02-24.1-1
libxtables - 1.4.10-4
mtd - 17
opkg - 618-2
ppp - 2.4.5-4
ppp-mod-pppoe - 2.4.5-4
swconfig - 10
uboot-envtools - 2011.06-4
uci - 2012-02-24.1-1
wireless-tools - 29-4
wpad-mini - 20111103-3

Honestly, as I said I can usually sort most things out when using Windows or Linux but this is well beyond my capabilities, I'm ok setting up network stuff using the manufacturers web interfaces but beyond that, doh.

As for openssh-sftp-server, winscp and mtd just raises more questions than answers for me. If you want someone to work Aircraft Avionics Systems then I'm your man, but networks at this level, all I can say is all help greatfully recieved.

@johan666

Thanks for your comments.

Sounds like DD-WRT would have been ideal, unfortunately it wasn't the one I used so I'm stuck with trying to put a web interface on the WR703N on top of the already flashed Open-WRT or flashing Sam's or DD-WRT onto it. Going back to stock is not an option as I can make no sense of the suggested method for flashing the original Chinese firmware onto the WR703N.

Unfortunately all I get when I enter opkg update is;

Again I suspect I am stuck with the WR703N been unable to see the internet for some reason even though my laptop can see the internet when connected wirelessly to the WR703N.

As far as i can see, I am stuck with having to sort out the WR703N so it can see the internet enabling it to download and flash LUCI onto it or flash a new firmware (complete with web interface) onto it by some other means.

Hence why I am here asking for help.

@lizby & @johan666 & all

It would appear I need a real "flashing WR703N for dummies" type guide.

I've been messing about with electronics and home computers since the late seventies and this is the first time I've been unable to sort out a problem relatively quickly, its very annoying.

Just to complicate issues, my Win 7 laptop has, shall we say work stuff on it, but I have a Linux computer I can use instead if that makes thing easier.

So, all help greatly appreciated.

Veri-Gash.

Veri-Gash wrote:

@lizby & @johan666 & all

It would appear I need a real "flashing WR703N for dummies" type guide.

I've been messing about with electronics and home computers since the late seventies and this is the first time I've been unable to sort out a problem relatively quickly, its very annoying.

Just to complicate issues, my Win 7 laptop has, shall we say work stuff on it, but I have a Linux computer I can use instead if that makes thing easier.

So, all help greatly appreciated.

Veri-Gash.

Hi,

So your 703N connecting ti your modem/router directly ?
Then what is that modem IP ?
Try use that IP in 703N as "DNS" and "GATEWAY".
"IP" "DNS" GATEWAY" are the three basic things needed in complete network connections.

Since you are now in Openwrt, there is no easy turning back unless you make it have internet connection.

I think Openwrt would be for advanced users.
It would be great if you like to learn something more advanced, but at least you will need some basic knowledge in networking and some linux.
There are tons of articles on the net, you will be become expert if you study all of it......(so I'm not expert)
You have a Linux system, then you should know something..... but sounds like you know nothing.

Sam's firmware is custom build of Openwrt, it bundled (pre-installed) lots of useful modules, but it seems a bit out-dated.
Hope that sam will build with updated firmware code and modules.
On the other hand dd-wrt is also a good choice as stock alternative, build with WebUI, USB support etc.

Don't try to skip all those so called guru terms.... technical terms....jargon....
They are also human defined things, not from the outer space.
Otherwise you're just a real dummy.

(Last edited by johan666 on 1 Apr 2012, 11:41)

@johan666

Wow. long time since I 've been called a dummy.

In all honesty I don't want to become an expert, networks are not my field of expertise and I don't wish them to be. I see the nightmare they cause our IT guys and they can keep them.

In the early days of home computers, when we had to build them before we could use them, by build I mean make the PCB, solder the components on it and then program it, you could be a computer expert and know everything about your machine. Nowadays people specialise in certain areas because to understand the whole is too great a task.

All I want to do is solve the problem a friend has asked me to help him with, without investing a lot of time I don't have. Outside of this issue I have my own hobbies and studies to do as well as work.

As for Linux, in the mid 90's when Linux was just coming to the attention of home users here in the UK I was involved in a Linux User Group and never once did I call someone who came along for help or just for curiosity a dummy. Lots of people in that Linux User Group did just that and in my opinion thats one of the things that held Linux back here in the UK as an operating system. In those days, some will remember, it was all command line installation and configuration, god forbid you wanted it to play music and the groans of agony when you tried to install it on a laptop. Its has been seen over here in the UK for many years as a novelty operating system to be used by, dare I say it. geeks and nerds (of which I proudly consider myself a member) and is only now recovering from that, thanks mostly to people becoming aware of its embedded offshoots and the hard work of a lot of Linux User Groups over here with the right attitude.

Its a basic rule I think, if you want someone to get involved with your hobby or field of interest, insulting them is probably not the best way to leave a good impression.

As for OpenWRT been the wrong choice and DD-WRT may have been better, I can now only agree. But given OpenWRT is what's on the WR703N and that is what I have to work with, unless you can invent a time machine that will take me back to the point just prior to me flashing the device with OpenWRT so I can stop myself, then thank you for your input so far regarding this issue. I will try the DNS and GATEWAY suggestions you have made, but please refrain from further comment unless it is constructive.

@lizby

Look forward to hearing from you and all help appreciated.

Veri-Gash

Veri-Gash wrote:

@johan666

Wow. long time since I 've been called a dummy.

Its a basic rule I think, if you want someone to get involved with your hobby or field of interest, insulting them is probably not the best way to leave a good impression.

As for OpenWRT been the wrong choice and DD-WRT may have been better, I can now only agree. But given OpenWRT is what's on the WR703N and that is what I have to work with, unless you can invent a time machine that will take me back to the point just prior to me flashing the device with OpenWRT so I can stop myself, then thank you for your input so far regarding this issue. I will try the DNS and GATEWAY suggestions you have made, but please refrain from further comment unless it is constructive.

If you think learning something right is in-constructive, then most of the 'things' are in-constructive.
Haa haa.
Flashing non-stock firmware is in-constructive too... ha ha.

Maybe you buy a fine designed router would be more constructive thing.
Just plug, and play, then click click click, done.
703N just come with freakin' simplified chinese firmware, bad design, bad stuff.

Settings IP DNS stuff is complicate, means bad design, non-human technology, in-constructive.
If you don't have the knowledge and blame on the knowledge, this is constructive.
Teachers, you asking me to learn and do my homework, you are freakin' in-constructive.

@Veri-Gash

Sorry you are subjected to name-calling.  As you well know, nobody was born knowing any of this stuff.

Ok, there may well be an easier way to do this, but I don’t know of it.  I had an un-reflashed wr703n with Chinese interface, so I flashed it with Sam’s firmware to see how it was set up.  When plugged into a router, it got an ip.  Once I figured out what that was, I was able to ssh in and see the configuration files, including the wifi key.  With that, I was able to connect to the wr703n’s AP and had internet access.  Using the following config files as guidelines, you should be able to do the same thing.

I would recommend that you plug the wr703n into your router rather than directly into the broadband modem.  That way you will get an ip address which is compatible with your other devices, for instance, your laptop.

Here is /etc/config/network (I’m assuming that you are able to edit with vi—not intuitive when you first use it):

config 'interface' 'loopback'
        option 'ifname' 'lo'
        option 'proto' 'static'
        option 'ipaddr' '127.0.0.1'
        option 'netmask' '255.0.0.0'

config 'interface' 'lan'
        option 'ifname' 'wlan0'
        option 'proto' 'static'
        option 'ipaddr' '172.16.0.1'
        option 'netmask' '255.255.255.0'

config 'interface' 'wan'
        option 'ifname' 'eth0'
        option 'proto' 'dhcp'
        option 'hostname' 'nas'

config 'interface' 'wifi'
        option 'ifname' 'wlan1'
        option 'proto' 'dhcp'
        option 'hostname' 'nas'

config 'interface' 'usb'
        option 'ifname' 'usb0'
        option 'proto' 'dhcp'
        option 'hostname' 'nas'

This should be good “as is”.  Note that the “wan” interface will use dhcp to get ip, gateway, and dns addresses.  The trick is to find out what ip it got.  I looked on my router at connected devices, and found that it was 192.168.1.123.  I sshed in using that (with putty).  User ID and password are “root”, “root” (for Sam's firmware--not for your device as it is).  Once you are in, run the command “wifi”.  This will give you the mac address of the wr703n.  You will need to enter it in the wireless configuration.

Here is /etc/config/wireless:

config 'wifi-device' 'radio0'
        option 'type' 'mac80211'
        option 'channel' 'auto'
        option 'hwmode' '11ng'
        option 'macaddr' '14:e6:e4:e7:5e:92'

config 'wifi-iface'
        option 'device' 'radio0'
        option 'network' 'lan'
        option 'mode' 'ap'
        option 'encryption' 'psk2'
        option 'key' 'UEC7wzdu'
        option 'wds' '1'
        option 'ssid' 'NAS-5e92'

config 'wifi-iface'
        option 'device' 'radio0'
        option 'network' 'wifi'
        option 'mode' 'sta'
        option 'encryption' 'psk2'
        option 'ssid' 'Disabled'
        option 'wds' '0'
        option 'disabled' '1'

Either modify your existing /etc/config/wireless to match, or replace your file with the above.  Note that the third set of options is disabled—you could modify that to make the device a “client”—like a laptop.

You will need to replace the macaddr with the address you got by running “wifi”.  In the first “wifi-iface” section, you need to note (or change) the “option ‘key’” and “option ‘ssid’” phrases.  They are arbitrary—you can use anything which suits you.

Reboot and you should be able to connect to the wr703n’s wifi AP, and through it to the internet via your router and cable modem.
There’s a lot here, so again, let us know if you get stuck.

PS  Five years ago I didn’t want to be a network or linux guru either, and I’m still not, but after struggling through getting several dozen devices running openWrt (mostly as clients), I have learned something (maybe really just patience and persistance).

(Last edited by lizby on 1 Apr 2012, 15:37)

lizby wrote:

@Veri-Gash

You will need to replace the macaddr with the address you got by running “wifi”.  In the first “wifi-iface” section, you need to note (or change) the “option ‘key’” and “option ‘ssid’” phrases.  They are arbitrary—you can use anything which suits you.

Reboot and you should be able to connect to the wr703n’s wifi AP, and through it to the internet via your router and cable modem.
There’s a lot here, so again, let us know if you get stuck.

PS  Five years ago I didn’t want to be a network or linux guru either, and I’m still not, but after struggling through getting several dozen devices running openWrt (mostly as clients), I have learned something (maybe really just patience and persistance).

Maybe you also need to write another guide that tells how to use texteditior inside would be more constructive based on his theory.

Anyway, I don't think anyone would be interested or want to be a network or system guru except they like to or work related.
Just that if someone doesn't like to pay any effort and learn just a little bit more then expect a super easy reading guide and super easy to get done, this is quite constructive.
Well I would like to find a good guide of Calculus so that I can get grade A in a 'constructive way'.

>Maybe you also need to write another guide that tells how to use texteditior

Google can help:
http://www.math.ntu.edu.tw/~wwang/mtxco … 0sheet.pdf

Basically I use little in vi other than "i" for insert or "a" for append, then "<Esc>:wq" to quit saving or "<Esc>q!" to quit without saving.  Occasionally I use "dd" to delete an entire line.

For a device with more than 4 megabytes of flash, I would install nano.

(Last edited by lizby on 1 Apr 2012, 16:27)