OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Netgear DGN3500

The content of this topic has been archived between 8 Feb 2018 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Mustela wrote:

Hello. I have this model (very big router) and few days ago I send a comment on the ticket #7793 of developers.

[...]

Mustela: I owe you a beer! :-)

Thanks! Now it is working for me too.

richs wrote:
M3m3nt0 wrote:
cdprincipe wrote:

CC images avaiable!
http://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calm … ntiq/xway/

Anyone has already tried?

Updated via Luci four days ago. No problems to date.

I've upgraded mine too!

I will check my DGN3500 for PPP / LED problem...

Does anyone have a factory netgear .trx file i can use to flash to stock firmware.
I am having trouble configuring my open wrt so would like to revet to stock.

chainofflowers wrote:

Mustela: I owe you a beer! :-)

Thanks! Now it is working for me too.

Thanks smile

Your internet connection works only restarting the leds? Now I'm on testing session and the dsl device isn't working like days ago. No more +24h stable. I don't understand! I will check cables on my home...

Your version are using is 14.07 or are upgraded to 15.05?

And I rectify my comment "very BIG router", my intention was say "great router" big_smile

Regards!

Hi everyone
It took me 3 months to decide to start with this journey and now here I am, stuck already with a problem.
- I flashed Chaos Calmer latest stable release
- Accessed router and set root password
- Successfully accessed through ssh and Luci

In order to make it an AP, I disabled DHCP through Luci, very easily, following the instructions here:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/dumbap
Now it does work as an AP (I can browse internet) but I cannot access it anymore with ssh or Luci.
Tried failsafe mode too, the led is flashing as it should, but telnet doesn't connect.
All of this with Ethernet cable only
Please help !!

I have tried to enter failsafe mode, (which works as my power led blinks on/off) but i am unable to connect to gateway, tried automatic IP config and manual from adapter settings.

esrever wrote:

I have tried to enter failsafe mode, (which works as my power led blinks on/off) but i am unable to connect to gateway, tried automatic IP config and manual from adapter settings.

Have you tried reset router and with DHCP by cable, when all lights are stabilized? This can delayed 3 minutes (slower than the original Netgear firmware).

I no needed to reset button, so you  will search how exactly reset to default with Openwrt.

claudio wrote:

Hi everyone
It took me 3 months to decide to start with this journey and now here I am, stuck already with a problem.
- I flashed Chaos Calmer latest stable release
- Accessed router and set root password
- Successfully accessed through ssh and Luci

In order to make it an AP, I disabled DHCP through Luci, very easily, following the instructions here:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/dumbap
Now it does work as an AP (I can browse internet) but I cannot access it anymore with ssh or Luci.
Tried failsafe mode too, the led is flashing as it should, but telnet doesn't connect.
All of this with Ethernet cable only
Please help !!

Access point. but I thing you have another DHCP on the network. Normal ADSL operation with Wifi on the router is with access point mode, but with DHCP enabled, precisely.

Have you tried inserting fixed IP on your PC on 192.168.1.0/24 net?

Hi Mustela
I've tried so many different options and combinations that it would be a challenge posting it here.
No wireless involved here, everything is connected with Ethernet cable.
I've tried ranges of IPs as you said.
Inside the DHCP server (the main router providing internet) I've made a DHCP Reservation for the mac-address, and there it was my openwrt-AP on the list of Wired connected devices. Still cannot access it.

I tried direct connection to pc, still nothing
Failsafe still directly connected, nothing (the router is definitely in failsafe mode)

Mustela wrote:

Have you tried reset router and with DHCP by cable, when all lights are stabilized? This can delayed 3 minutes (slower than the original Netgear firmware).

I no needed to reset button, so you  will search how exactly reset to default with Openwrt.

I'm new to the whole open wrt, but I was attempting to revert back to stock netgear firm as I was unable to comprehend the instruction of setting up the adsl2+ connection.
When I configure atapter to automatically obtain ip, there is no default gateway on ipconfig, if I set it all manually it shows the right gateway address but I can't seem to connect to it, both with telnet or Lucia. This is both in normal and failsafe mode.

Regards

(Last edited by esrever on 27 Sep 2015, 11:13)

esrever wrote:

I'm new to the whole open wrt, but I was attempting to revert back to stock netgear firm as I was unable to comprehend the instruction of setting up the adsl2+ connection.
When I configure atapter to automatically obtain ip, there is no default gateway on ipconfig, if I set it all manually it shows the right gateway address but I can't seem to connect to it, both with telnet or Lucia. This is both in normal and failsafe mode.

Regards

Selecting the settings is no complicated. You have all the values on 2 sections: on the router web interface, menu Network / Interfaces:
- "Interface Overview" -> WAN (edit the values)
- "ATM bridges" -> General setup and Advanced settings.

Before return to previous firmware, check ALL DSL options, one by one: VPI/VCI, encapsulating, forwarding mode (bridged/routed), protocol (PPPoE/A, etc), username, password, etc. When all of this is correctly, you can check the internet connection from the same router. If you can do ping to any site, your router is working well but, if cannot, something is mistaken. Really, this is easiest and more complete than the firmware original. I mistaked sometimes and the connection seems to work, but not.

If you doubt on some value, check it calling, contacting or visiting your ISP.

Regards.

claudio wrote:

Hi Mustela
I've tried so many different options and combinations that it would be a challenge posting it here.
No wireless involved here, everything is connected with Ethernet cable.
I've tried ranges of IPs as you said.
Inside the DHCP server (the main router providing internet) I've made a DHCP Reservation for the mac-address, and there it was my openwrt-AP on the list of Wired connected devices. Still cannot access it.

I tried direct connection to pc, still nothing
Failsafe still directly connected, nothing (the router is definitely in failsafe mode)

MMmmm... the generic failsafe wiki tells ignore the r/w partition and, theoretically, you can be detected by DHCP, because it's enabled by default. When you entered on safemode, you will clear the r/w partition for apply these changes and return to factory the values.

If you tried this, I can't help more, sorry.

Regards.

Mustela wrote:

Selecting the settings is no complicated. You have all the values on 2 sections: on the router web interface, menu Network / Interfaces:
- "Interface Overview" -> WAN (edit the values)
- "ATM bridges" -> General setup and Advanced settings.

Before return to previous firmware, check ALL DSL options, one by one: VPI/VCI, encapsulating, forwarding mode (bridged/routed), protocol (PPPoE/A, etc), username, password, etc. When all of this is correctly, you can check the internet connection from the same router. If you can do ping to any site, your router is working well but, if cannot, something is mistaken. Really, this is easiest and more complete than the firmware original. I mistaked sometimes and the connection seems to work, but not.

If you doubt on some value, check it calling, contacting or visiting your ISP.

Regards.

Thanks for the insight I will try set it up again . the only problem is I can't access the router through the gateway, I manually set the dchp but no connection and let it obtain it automatically but still unable to connect to 192.168.1.1. Both with modem is failsafe mode and normal mode.

(Last edited by esrever on 28 Sep 2015, 07:56)

Now, I upgraded to 15.05 with no configuration saved, rebuilding all my preferences and DSL seems to be stable. Leds have the same problematic of the 14.04: no trigger led on Internet.

I move the starting service S96led to 99, and previous 98 and 99 I've raised one position, like I do it on 14.07, and editing this services for making the new starting position. In this case, it will create led triggers when devices are opened, and before upgrade works for me!

Precisely I've upgrade with well-stabilized, but I don0t know exactly how, if is by leds or why.

Tomorrow I write more!

I still cant find my open-wrt modem, I have hooked up an old router to try detect the DGN3500 but still unfindable. Anyone have any ideas?

Mustela wrote:

Now, I upgraded to 15.05 with no configuration saved, rebuilding all my preferences and DSL seems to be stable. Leds have the same problematic of the 14.04: no trigger led on Internet.

I move the starting service S96led to 99, and previous 98 and 99 I've raised one position, like I do it on 14.07, and editing this services for making the new starting position. In this case, it will create led triggers when devices are opened, and before upgrade works for me!

Precisely I've upgrade with well-stabilized, but I don0t know exactly how, if is by leds or why.

Tomorrow I write more!

I don't think the problem is in the leds trigger. But i'll give a try.
I have very unstable connection. Sometimes it stays up for 1-2 days, then start to drop every 10-20 minutes. It seems to be casual.
SNR values are ok (>15), but I noticed that when my modem negotiate lower speed (3-4mbit, instead of 8mbit), SNR goes up to 30dB, and the disconnection issue disappear! Until I reboot the router. Last week I had 6 days long connection with 4mbit, then power line in my house went down...and router restarted with 8mbit 15dB snr --> a lot of disconnections.
It seems that under 20dB, disconnection issue is always around.

It's the reason i was trying to tweak snr values...with no success.

mitch845 wrote:

I don't think the problem is in the leds trigger. But i'll give a try.
I have very unstable connection. Sometimes it stays up for 1-2 days, then start to drop every 10-20 minutes. It seems to be casual.
SNR values are ok (>15), but I noticed that when my modem negotiate lower speed (3-4mbit, instead of 8mbit), SNR goes up to 30dB, and the disconnection issue disappear! Until I reboot the router. Last week I had 6 days long connection with 4mbit, then power line in my house went down...and router restarted with 8mbit 15dB snr --> a lot of disconnections.
It seems that under 20dB, disconnection issue is always around.

It's the reason i was trying to tweak snr values...with no success.

Yes, it seems casualties of changing leds. No implies more stabilization. Now, Telefónica was improved speed but I'm not nearest of central ISP. I've disconnections over 3 to 30 minutes. The problem, probably, is the SNR and the ADSL2+, or not: the same router works very more stable before upgrading to openwrt (14.07 or 15.05). Router of Telefónica (the Zyxel free-delivered) has none disconnections. Bug on DSL driver?

Now, the problem is I cannot return to stock firmware. I've the 1.1.0.33 and 1.1.0.28, but the output when I try to revert is:

root@OpenWrt:/tmp# mtd -r write DGN3500-V1.1.00.28.img  firmware
Unlocking firmware ...

Writing from DGN3500-V1.1.00.28.img to firmware ...  [e]Failed to erase block

Any ideas?

(Last edited by Mustela on 28 Sep 2015, 23:00)

Router bricked! Grrr... The only method for return to original firmware is by the brute-force way, printed on wiki. Thanks to the wiki, I can recover the router!

Now, I try investigate more, especially now because I know recover router...

(Last edited by Mustela on 29 Sep 2015, 01:07)

Seems many people are having trouble with stability of ADSL connection with this (and other routers using the same chipset).

Apparently newer versions of the DSL modem firmware can no longer be officially distributed, so you have to find your own update.

Having followed the instructions three quarters of the way down this page, (for Annex A firmware):

https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/18105

I've had no more disconnections. Do not worry that they are for the Buffalo WBMR-HP-G300H, it uses the same hardware as the DGN3500.

Things are getting pretty frustrating here.
It wasn't my intention to become a networking engineer and spend the next 5 months studying wikipedia and openwrt website.
I finally managed to access the router(now AP) setting my pc IP as for entering failsafe mode.
By the way, forget about failsafe mode, it won't connect, "no route to host".
Also if you are locked out you don't even need failsafe mode! Just press with a paper clip the usual button for reset. Who knew that !? Wasn't failsafe mode the only way to go?
They released this new version of openwrt, which may be fantastic, but they forgot to release the instructions!
Example: I need to connect to internet through an external modem, and I found this tutorial:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/acces … hrough.nat
"GUI version
Navigate to Admin → Network → Interfaces → WAN, fill in a name in the "IP-Aliases" add field and click "Add" "
NO SUCH THING !!
All the support out there is about older versions, probably BB.
Downgrading could be a good thing to do.

somehow got back into openwrt. Just wondering if CC firm supports PPPOE?

these are my ISP settings

Connection Type/Encapsulation: PPPoE LLC
Encapsulation Mode: LLC
VPI: 8
VCI: 35
Security Protocol: PAP or AUTO
NAT: enabled
Modulation
For ADSL2+ customers – Multimode or ADSL2+

User name: (altough my usename was @tpg.com.au on the old modem)
- <TPGusername>@L2TP.tpg.com.au for Fixed IP plans
OR
<TPGusername>@PPP.tpg.com.au for Dynamic IP plans
(e.g. adsl1234@L2TP.tpg.com.au)

g. Password:

problem is I dont know where to change sercurity Protocol, NAT or the modulation.

(Last edited by esrever on 29 Sep 2015, 11:41)

Mustela wrote:

Router bricked! Grrr... The only method for return to original firmware is by the brute-force way, printed on wiki. Thanks to the wiki, I can recover the router!

Now, I try investigate more, especially now because I know recover router...

sad
Good luck with that!

For me disconnections are present with all firmwares, original, .28 .33...amod, openwrt 14.07. It doesn't seeem to be a driver problem, but an "hardware" one.

mitch845 wrote:

For me disconnections are present with all firmwares, original, .28 .33...amod, openwrt 14.07. It doesn't seeem to be a driver problem, but an "hardware" one.

The firmwares you mention are the router OS ones, yes?

The ADSL disconnect problem many people are having, relate to the firmware blob for the ADSL modem - this package in Chaos Calmer: kmod-ltq-adsl-ar9-fw-a_0.1-1_lantiq.ipk.

See my post 144 above, for how to replace this component.

If I have misunderstood and you have already tried this, apologies for the noise.

esrever wrote:

somehow got back into openwrt. Just wondering if CC firm supports PPPOE?

these are my ISP settings

Connection Type/Encapsulation: PPPoE LLC
Encapsulation Mode: LLC
VPI: 8
VCI: 35
Security Protocol: PAP or AUTO
NAT: enabled
Modulation
For ADSL2+ customers – Multimode or ADSL2+

User name: (altough my usename was @tpg.com.au on the old modem)
- <TPGusername>@L2TP.tpg.com.au for Fixed IP plans
OR
<TPGusername>@PPP.tpg.com.au for Dynamic IP plans
(e.g. adsl1234@L2TP.tpg.com.au)

g. Password:

problem is I dont know where to change sercurity Protocol, NAT or the modulation.

Under "ATM Bridges" set the parameters to your setting.

Click the "Edit" button next to the "WAN" interface and enter all your other settings.

Nat is the default setup, the modem auto sets up the modulation and given the wording of the user/password labels, it looks like it may try PAP or CHAP until it gets a result.

richs wrote:
mitch845 wrote:

The firmwares you mention are the router OS ones, yes?

The ADSL disconnect problem many people are having, relate to the firmware blob for the ADSL modem - this package in Chaos Calmer: kmod-ltq-adsl-ar9-fw-a_0.1-1_lantiq.ipk.

See my post 144 above, for how to replace this component.

If I have misunderstood and you have already tried this, apologies for the noise.

For mine, the original firmware hasn't disconnection problems, except the big limitations on SW compared with openwrt, like IT DOESN'T HAVE DNS!! The other advantages is faster booting, work full firmware flash upgrade (I don't understand the mtd process errors on linux) and, obviously, the correct lights operation.

Then, this is a patch for the firmware? can I install this file on /lib/firmware directory or I need reflash the firmware by another image? If not (I think so), the chaos calmer is good for use it? You tried it?

This is very interesting!

Thanks.

PD: And Mitch, probably is not the hardware. You will check all cables on your home and call to your ISP for checking the line. And if you try the line with openwrt, you can only throw it for the window tongue

(Last edited by Mustela on 29 Sep 2015, 22:23)