OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Netgear DGN3500

The content of this topic has been archived between 8 Feb 2018 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Someone has successfully used this router with an USB LTE dongle?

It has been a very nice experience to learn OpenWrt, sadly now has come the time to wrap my DGN3500 back in its box.
Every single cool feature that drew me into this journey has failed.
I was dreaming of a backup of all my stuff in a hard drive which I could access remotely from anywhere
That didn't work out:
Cannot attach usb hard drives
and I don't seem to be the only one reporting this issue with this machine.

I wanted to use a webcam to keep an eye on my house when out and about
I wanted to listen to my music with loudspeakers connected to my router, using my phone as a remote control
All of this didn't work out either:
USB Video & Audio fail: isochronous transfer not supported!!!

Is it my router faulty or should I just upgrade to a better one?

Since my last post I have moved over to LEDE on my DGN3500.  It was absolutely stunning.  The only reason it ever went down was power utility power outs long enough to drop the UPS.  Ran until 2017 November, at which time I moved house and got fiber - but my trusty LEDE DGN3500 came out when I could not get the Tenda router that was here when I moved in up and going, and it got me up and running on fiber!

Later I got VOX to give me the promised wireless router - turned out to be a Mikrotik, that looks quite powerful.  But they did not immediately hand over admin privileges on the Mikrotik, so back out came the DGN3500!  And I'm working on it right now!

The reason for me posting here, and not on the LEDE forum...  I see LEDE is merged with OpenWRT now.  So, has anyone moved to an OpenWRT system past CC 15.05 yet on the DGN3500?

(Last edited by cfbosch on 21 Mar 2018, 09:30)

Yes, I am now using OpenWrt SNAPSHOT. It's basically the same LEDE codebase with updates.
I am happy that the projects merged again.

Excellent. Will load it when I have time to play.

The discussion might have continued from here.