OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Wrt160nl?

The content of this topic has been archived between 9 Mar 2018 and 6 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Guys, I gave up. Flashing WRT160NL is very geeky and enjoyable, but the performance of ath9k is poor. I had MANY difficulties connecting to ath9k AP, some with no problems (WinXP laptop Intel wifi at 802.11n), some totally not working (my main purpose buying 2x WRT160NL and running 1 as AP, 1 as wifi client-bridge), some partially (Edimax broadcom? with some errors at 802.11g, 802.11n could not ping).

I had problems with:
autorization - at 802.11n were clients unable to finish WPA2 handshake (OpenWrt log - hostpad: deauthenticated by local deauth request)
DMA errors - network in load cripples the driver 54M -> 1M (ath9k: DMA failed to stop in 10 ms)
nonfunctional bridge - tried every possible config with no success, sometimes it got at least IP from DHCP, the best cases even could ping the gateway

Ath9k simply needs a bit time to mature, OpenWrt is fine as it is.

And again. This driver will not work in bridged client-mode. The only driver which works in bridged client-mode is the Broadcom binary only blob used in brcm-2.4.

Dogge wrote:

And again. This driver will not work in bridged client-mode. The only driver which works in bridged client-mode is the Broadcom binary only blob used in brcm-2.4.

So don't had I find this on OpenWrt oldwiki, nuwiki, forum, howto's, existing threads, obsolete threads, non-existing threads, empty threads? So many sources of information there is and nowhere to be found.

(Last edited by nemozny on 15 Sep 2009, 22:24)

nemozny wrote:
Dogge wrote:

So don't had I find this on OpenWrt oldwiki, nuwiki, forum, howto's, existing threads, obsolete threads, non-existing threads, empty threads? So many sources of information there is and nowhere to be found.

Yes we all hate the current Wiki situation.  What to do about it?  How do you even contact the people in charge of the migration?  I would spend some time on the tasks needed.

Well, I'm compiling my WRT160NL image now with wireless etc. We'll soon see if I am successful. To me if wireless doesn't work what's the point right? Wish me luck. :-)

Dogge wrote:

Hi I'm attempting to use my wrt160nl as a client to my primary AP. The machines behind the client with be on the same network( client only mode). I have the wrt160nl up and running on the latest release r17590, compiled myself for the wireless option. When I am directly logged onto the wrt160nl, I get the wireless to associate with the AP and I am able to ping the AP over the wireless and get out to the web. However I am NOT able to be routed out to the AP from one the lan ports when I DO NOT telnet or ssh into the wrt160nl. The wrt160nl is not forwarding my traffic from a different ip address. Do I have only a configuration issue eg firewall, routing tables, masquerating etc. or is the this function not available yet? Also this forums has been exceptionally helpful, I've read it completely.

Regards

Herb Swanson

herbswanson wrote:
Dogge wrote:

Hi I'm attempting to use my wrt160nl as a client to my primary AP. The machines behind the client with be on the same network( client only mode). I have the wrt160nl up and running on the latest release r17590, compiled myself for the wireless option. When I am directly logged onto the wrt160nl, I get the wireless to associate with the AP and I am able to ping the AP over the wireless and get out to the web. However I am NOT able to be routed out to the AP from one the lan ports when I DO NOT telnet or ssh into the wrt160nl. The wrt160nl is not forwarding my traffic from a different ip address. Do I have only a configuration issue eg firewall, routing tables, masquerating etc. or is the this function not available yet? Also this forums has been exceptionally helpful, I've read it completely.

Regards

Herb Swanson

See first and second post on this page.

(Last edited by nemozny on 16 Sep 2009, 09:21)

vincentfox wrote:

Yes we all hate the current Wiki situation.  What to do about it?  How do you even contact the people in charge of the migration?  I would spend some time on the tasks needed.

They're all subscriped on the openwrt-devel mailinglist. I have admin access as well and there used to be irc-meetings on the wiki migration topic in the past. If there is demand we can schedule a new one. Since this is getting offtopic now I suggest to contact me via pm if you need further information.

~ JoW

nemozny wrote:
herbswanson wrote:
Dogge wrote:

Regards

Herb Swanson

See first and second post on this page.

Hi again. Its now my understanding that the wrt160nl will NEVER support client bridge mode. Client-bridge is only a feature of  "....Broadcom binary only blob used in brcm-2.4". The following ticket https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/5749#comment:2 explains the underlaying reason. If my understanding is not correct please let me know as I am now giving up on this configuration.

Regards
Herb Swanson

I got my build working but my linux clients could not connect as stated by someone else earlier in this thread. Also the wireless was not running when I got home this afternoon about 8 hours after I installed it.

Hi!

Now I have a working serial console on my WRT 160 NL and I can see the output in Putty!

I get a Kernel Panic.

What Could I do now?

I would like to flash it again.

Thanx for your help!

alaub81 wrote:

Hi!
I would like to flash it again.

See earlier in thread, or notes in Wiki page about TFTP flash from console using "upgrade code.bin" method.

http://wiki.openwrt.org/inbox/wrt160nl

Thanks! I made it!!!

So now Ihave installed the newest svn snapshot and everything works fine, but when I connect from my eepc 901 via Wlan I only got a 54 Mbit connection.

Could anyone tell me why? I don't use an encryption.

What Can I do to get draft n wlan working?

alaub81 wrote:

You've to wait. It's not working yet.

alaub81 wrote:

Thanks! I made it!!!

So now Ihave installed the newest svn snapshot and everything works fine, but when I connect from my eepc 901 via Wlan I only got a 54 Mbit connection.

/etc/config/wireless
option channel 5
option hwmode_11n g
option ht_capab [HT40+] -- run "iw list" and search the web for options

/lib/wifi/hostapd.sh
find wpa=$wpa (or something like that)
and line wmm_enable=1 and (optionally?) other wmm options, search the web (wmm in newer sources, wme in older)

hwmode_11n turns 802.11n on, running either 802.11g or 802.11a as its base, ht_capab is mandatory, wmm is required due to 802.11n specifications (as well as WPA2-AES, you can't use WEP or TKIP)

Edit: s/and line wmm_enable=1/add line wmm_enable=1/

(Last edited by nemozny on 19 Sep 2009, 10:14)

So I compiled the from the latest trunk release r17604 and now I can connect wirelessly (G) with my Linux laptop but not with any encryption (WPA2), only as an open AP. Any ideas on this?

Hello, someone can tell me that works in the lastest trunk release. Thanks

Lord_Rafa wrote:

Hello, someone can tell me that works in the lastest trunk release. Thanks

Unless you compile your own, wireless won't work.

nemozny wrote:
alaub81 wrote:

Thanks! I made it!!!

/etc/config/wireless
option channel 5
option hwmode_11n g
option ht_capab [HT40+] -- run "iw list" and search the web for options

/lib/wifi/hostapd.sh
and line wmm_enable=1 and (optionally?) other wmm options, search the web (wmm in newer sources, wme in older)

hwmode_11n turns 802.11n on, running either 802.11g or 802.11a as its base, ht_capab is mandatory, wmm is required due to 802.11n specifications (as well as WPA2-AES, you can't use WEP or TKIP)

Edit: s/and line wmm_enable=1/add line wmm_enable=1/

And where I have to add this line?

I have not edited the hostapd.sh and I think my wifi works with n draft. I got the 135 MBit's connection and iperf makes a 23/Mbit/s connection to my workstation.

Now I have testet my old 54G Access Point, there I got a 24 Mbit/s connection. So I think n draft isn't working correct on my WRT 160 NL.

Any idears?

(Last edited by alaub81 on 20 Sep 2009, 09:00)

So I just bought one and am flashing on Monday when it gets here. I don't need wireless to work as of the moment. I did notice the warning about having a serial console on the wiki. http://wiki.openwrt.org/inbox/wrt160nl

Is this still the case?

Thank you
Misha

misha680 wrote:

So I just bought one and am flashing on Monday when it gets here. I don't need wireless to work as of the moment. I did notice the warning about having a serial console on the wiki. http://wiki.openwrt.org/inbox/wrt160nl

Is this still the case?

Thank you
Misha

It's a good idea in case you brick it but I haven't needed it yet.

Don't forget if you want Luci, to:

opkg update
opkg install luci-full-admin luci-theme-openwrt

nemozny wrote:

/lib/wifi/hostapd.sh

Edit: s/and line /etc/config/wireless/add line wmm_enable=1/

Please tell me how and where to add line wmm_enable=1.

Dear All:

I am on revision 17668 and am having quite a bit of troubles:
1. Most (60%) of the time when I turn on the wrt160nl the light above the middle button never stops flashing and the router is inaccessible.
2. udhcpc only gets an IP the first time. If I do ifdown wan && ifup wan no IP is gotten for my Internet connection.
3. PPPOE does not work _at all_

Is there a good trunk revision for this router? I'm not even talking about Wireless...

Thank you
Misha

p.s. Also I seem to lose approximately 10 fold speed going from my DSL 2Wire 2701HG-B modem to the
WL160NL (this is direct test, either laptop connected to 2701HG-B or going through ssh SOCKS proxy to router). It might be the DMZplus feature not sure... can't do PPPOE so can't test. Will try to make serial console with Ethernet this weekend. Any tips for a working trunk would be much appreciated.

p.p.s. If anyone has a working pivotroot and rcS for USB flash drive booting for this router, also much appreciated. Thank you. Misha

(Last edited by misha680 on 23 Sep 2009, 17:25)

Hi together,

I just got my brand new WRT160NL and installed OpenWrt on it. Everything ran very smooth. :-)

I have not gone through long-term tests, but what I see looks promising. LAN works fine, WLAN also. I had no problem connecting and transfering data at high speed. I can't test Draft-N because my Draft-N Client ist missing at the moment.

I want to create multiple virtual wlan interfaces with different ssid. I checked in "make menuconfig" the option "kmod-max80211-hwsim" in Kernel modules->Wireless Drivers. The first look back in OpenWrt was promising again. The kernel module generated wlan0, wlan1 and wlan2. But I'm only able to user wlan0.

root@OpenWrt:~# wifi up
Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not supported.
Configuration file: /var/run/hostapd-wlan0.conf
Using interface wlan0 with hwaddr 00:03:7f:bf:05:a2 and ssid 'OpenWrt-wlan0'
Interface type  not supported.
    SET failed on device wlan1 ; Operation not supported.
Configuration file: /var/run/hostapd-wlan1.conf
Using interface wlan1 with hwaddr 02:00:00:00:00:00 and ssid 'OpenWrt-wlan1'
Interface type  not supported.
    SET failed on device wlan2 ; Operation not supported.
Configuration file: /var/run/hostapd-wlan2.conf
Using interface wlan2 with hwaddr 02:00:00:00:01:00 and ssid 'OpenWrt-wlan2'

I see a lot of errors, but the strange thing is... wlan0 works still perfectly. I can connect using my Samsung NC10 and transfer data. But I can't even see wlan1 and wlan2.

From iwconfig

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  Mode:Master  Frequency:2.432 GHz  Tx-Power=1 dBm   
          Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:on

wlan1     IEEE 802.11abgn  Mode:Master  Frequency:2.432 GHz  Tx-Power=1 dBm   
          Power Management:off

wlan2     IEEE 802.11abgn  Mode:Master  Frequency:2.432 GHz  Tx-Power=1 dBm   
          Power Management:off

As you can see wlan1 and wlan2 are configured as abgn - could this be the real failure? Additionally, the Mac-Adress is strange but that shouldn't be the problem.

Did anybody of you already had success configuring multiple APs with ath9k?

Btw: Does anybody know when it will be possible to use port based vlan with the integrated switch? I can't find any progress on this. :-/ Its not absolutely needed, but it would be very nice to have this feature.

thanks in advance

Sorry, posts 276 to 275 are missing from our archive.