OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Wrt160nl?

The content of this topic has been archived between 9 Mar 2018 and 6 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Dogge wrote:

Anyone got the switch configure using the swconfig tool?

Here is my network config.

package 'network'

config 'interface' 'lan'
        option 'proto' 'static'
        option 'type' 'bridge'
        option 'ipaddr' '192.168.1.1'
        option 'netmask' '255.255.255.0'
        option 'ifname' 'eth0.1'

config 'interface' 'wan'
        option 'proto' 'dhcp'
        option 'ifname' 'eth1'

config 'switch' 'eth0'
        option 'reset' '1'
        option 'enable_vlan' '1'

config 'switch_vlan' 'eth0_1'
        option 'device' 'eth0'
        option 'vlan' '1'
        option 'ports' '0 1 2 3 4t'

Don't know how to set a switch but I'm trying 3 days to set up ath9k client and became completely insane. AP mode is working perfectly at 130 Mbit including bridging eth0-wlan0. Wan is PPPoE eth1. Wlan0 is showing 1Mbit, pings client->AP about 5 ms, pings AP->client 300-3000ms. Constantly dropping connection and many other issues.

Edit 1: Client: Bridge eth0-wlan0 isn't working at all (lan: eth0, wlan0), separating the networks (lan)eth0 192.168.2.1 (wan)wlan0 dhcp(.1.0) allows at least pinging (from time to time) the AP (192.168.1.1). Tried static IP, disabling 802.11n, almost everything except compiling newest image (running 17288).

Got anyone working correctly? I'm using 2x WRT160NL.

(Last edited by nemozny on 3 Sep 2009, 10:37)

nemozny wrote:

I've seen some references to serial port in WAN/LAN4 port, I've observed hardware closely and I did not find anything.

I looked and the pins are there, on the PCB, at the bottom of the lan4/wlan ports.

So I have serial access now with me dku-5 cable.  When it boots there is a kernel panic.  So I got into the uboot interface, and I don't know what to do now, because I can't seem to tftp the code.bin to it.  I don't know what's going on really.

nevermind, somehow I figured it out.  Set the ip with setenv ipaddr, server, gateway, etc, and it worked after that.  Thanks everyone, I'm glad I have a working router now.

My dku-5 works quite well, and I found a 5 pin connector too, so it works quite well.

(Last edited by specto on 4 Sep 2009, 02:23)

I bricked the damn thing.:) . nmap shows only port 21 in failsafe. I 'll get today a dku-5 cable.

The files involved with failsafe mode are "package/base-files/files/etc/preinit" and "linux/atheros/base-files/etc/preinit.arch" both of which are bash scripts. Those files can be easily 'debugged' by adding some test messages to see where they hang, to point out the cause.

specto wrote:

So I have serial access now with me dku-5 cable.  When it boots there is a kernel panic.  So I got into the uboot interface, and I don't know what to do now, because I can't seem to tftp the code.bin to it.  I don't know what's going on really.

nevermind, somehow I figured it out.  Set the ip with setenv ipaddr, server, gateway, etc, and it worked after that.  Thanks everyone, I'm glad I have a working router now.

My dku-5 works quite well, and I found a 5 pin connector too, so it works quite well.

Actually all you REALLY need to do from U-boot is:
upgrade code.bin

Then send the file via TFTP from Windows with:
tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put code.bin

This was covered further back in this thread, and is in the Wiki draft page already.

vincentfox wrote:
specto wrote:

Actually all you REALLY need to do from U-boot is:
upgrade code.bin

Then send the file via TFTP from Windows with:
tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put code.bin

This was covered further back in this thread, and is in the Wiki draft page already.

I've used specto's method as well. It doesn't matter, obviously.

Does this unit have a spare I/O pin to use as a PPS input for time synchronization(GPS)?

I've got a DKU-5 cable coming so I'm gonna try playing with the serial console.

Ath9k(WRT160NL) is able to serve as 802.11n AP to WinXP Intel PROSet (Intel 5300 AGN) utility clients, but could not serve as 802.11n AP to ath9k(WRT160NL) clients, Edimax BR-6574n (Broadcom?) client etc. It's confusing but simply I could not get any linux wireless client working as client to ath9k master.
WRT160NL(AP) -- wifi -- WRT160NL(client) week or more and no success (WPA2AES)
WRT160NL(AP) -- wifi -- Dell Latitude E4300 laptop with no problem on 802.11n, older Latitude with no problem 802.11g
WRT160NL(AP) -- wifi -- BR-6574n 2 days and no success on 802.11n, 802.11g with no problem. 802.11n permits broadcasts, DHCP, Netbios etc., but no PING, no TCP

EDIT: Sry, 802.11g means turning off 802.11n support on ath9k AP

(Last edited by nemozny on 14 Sep 2009, 22:36)

Has anyone used the DKU-5 with Linux? Also, do you need a driver to use it with Windows XP? I run Linux 99.9% of the except to tftp firmwares of some routers and to update GPS', and update the Action Replay for my kid's Nintendo DS'.

Ok I flashed the latest trunk via the Web GUI, got Luci up and running but the standard way of enabling the wireless interface doesn't seem to work. What am I missing?

mordak wrote:

Ok I flashed the latest trunk via the Web GUI, got Luci up and running but the standard way of enabling the wireless interface doesn't seem to work. What am I missing?

Can you be more descriptive?

Did you compile the trunk yourself, and are you sure WRT160NL profile was compiled?

What do you mean by "standard way of enabling"?

I think I've found a reliable and secure way of accessing the serial port without disassembly:

http://imagebin.ca/img/rOhm4Xg.gif

Take a length of IDE cable, cut out a strip of 5 cores
Strip 18mm of insulation off the ends and tin 4 of the exposed cores with solder, chop the other core
Wrap a thin bit of tape around the end of the insulation (helps pad out the cores in the next step and ensure a good contact)
Bend back the 4 cores so that each core runs through one of the 4 channels in the ribbon cable
Secure the cores with tape - about 13mm back from the end of the insulation.

The cable should fit in the small part of the RJ45 socket (where the RJ45 connector locks in place). Just push the cable in until it butts up against the plastic wall of the socket and then put your RJ45 plug in on top to hold it in place.

vincentfox wrote:
mordak wrote:

Can you be more descriptive?

Did you compile the trunk yourself, and are you sure WRT160NL profile was compiled?

What do you mean by "standard way of enabling"?

No I didn't compile it myself, I used this build: http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … uashfs.bin 14-Sep-2009 16:31 then opkg install luci-admin-full. I open etc/config/wireless with vi and it was blank. I'm not sure what to add with this atheros device.

Mordak, the ar71xx snapshots don't use the correct wifi driver for the wrt160nl. You need to compile your own image with the wrt160nl profile selected. This has been mentioned at least twice before in this same thread.

Kyri.

kyri wrote:

Mordak, the ar71xx snapshots don't use the correct wifi driver for the wrt160nl. You need to compile your own image with the wrt160nl profile selected. This has been mentioned at least twice before in this same thread.

Kyri.

Thanks. I guess I did read that but thought it was in the one uploaded to the downloads section of the server. My bad. Still getting used to this atheros stuff. Broadcom seemed much easier that's for sure. I also read Vincentfox's wiki entry: http://wiki.openwrt.org/inbox/wrt160nl#installation and it says exactly what you told me. I guess I was too tired last night to concentrate enough. I had already read his intructions 3 or more times too.

(Last edited by mordak on 15 Sep 2009, 11:48)

That's ok. Atheros in itself is not the problem. AFAIK the build-bot that compiles the daily snapshots with a different wireless driver for the ar71xx platform.

(Last edited by kyri on 15 Sep 2009, 14:07)

kyri wrote:

That's ok. Atheros in itself is not the problem. AFAIK the build-bot that compiles the daily snapshots with a different wireless driver for the ar71xx platform.

Is it hard to fix a daily build? I think that would be worth spending time to get a daily build since there are a lot of people that want to use it. It will generate a lot of free testing for sure! I think that linksys 160nl is one of the most popular APs for OpenWRT now.

I plan to buy one any day now, and want to contribute on testing rather on building.

It's not a matter of fixing, the snapshot is for the ar71xx platform in general and not specifically for the wrt160nl.

kyri wrote:

It's not a matter of fixing, the snapshot is for the ar71xx platform in general and not specifically for the wrt160nl.

I can see many different targets for the ar71xx platform on http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/ . One (out of 20?) is for 160nl, maybe I haven't understood everything. My guess would be that the ar71xx/160nl has another profile than ar71xx/wrt400n and that the 160nl profile with correct wifi driver should be used for ar71xx/160nl? Or is the configuration only on the ar71xx level?

Is it very difficult to make a build script that produce a correct wrt160nl image?

If daily builds were produced I think more people should start spending some time to test the images and find bugs for the developers to solve. The reason that me and others want daily builds is just that we want to help with the testing in order to as soon as possible reach our common goal, to get a fairly stable OpenWRT release for the WRT160NL.

I agree with Macbear.

Are the scripts for the buildbot in some repository? I couldn't find them.

What do we need for this? I "think" it is just to send the generated config file(s) after setting the correct target profile (described in http://wiki.openwrt.org/inbox/wrt160nl) to some administrator of the buildbot? Correct me if I am wrong.

I really hate to ask for things and not doing anything myself, but in this case, I am just a simple user/tester...

Many thanks in advance and some hugs to if some of the developers want to do this for the users!

(Last edited by Qwerto on 15 Sep 2009, 16:38)