OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Support for Marvell 88F5xx81 based routers

The content of this topic has been archived between 18 Jan 2014 and 6 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

dallienl wrote:

Did a quick test with another XP system, also this system could't connect. Seems the only system that can connect with my config is the windows 7 system.

Tonight I will do some wireless sniffing to see what's the difference between Windows 7 and XP connecting. Starting my OpenVPN tests now.

Can I suggest the following:
1)
Install the crda package to get the country regulatory stuff actually applied.

2)
For your configuration

config 'wifi-device' 'wlan0'
    option 'type' 'mac80211'
    option 'country' 'NL'
    option 'hwmode' '11bg' (or maybe better: option 'hwmode_11n' 'g')
    option 'channel' '5'
    option 'disabled' '0'

config 'wifi-iface'
    option 'device' 'wlan0'
    option 'network' 'lan'
    option 'mode' 'ap'
    option 'ssid' 'XXXXXXX'
    option 'hidden' '0'
    option 'key' 'XXXXXXXX'     (and make sure this HEXA only key has more than 8 digits)

Alright OpenVPN works now, I reflashed with a compiled kmod-tun image and no more errors.

Noticed an error with the LAN ports. Sometimes the link will not come up for 1 Gb connections, after connecting a 100 Mb link and then reconnecting the 1 Gb link it comes up. If I find a way to reproduce this I wil post it.

Will start some sniffing later today to see what goes wrong when connecting Vista or XP to the WLAN.

@operron

Missed your reply, installed the crda and country settings are now applied. But no sugar. Vista asks for password then after a few secs says no reply. Used the following 2 WLAN configs.

wireless.wlan0=wifi-device
wireless.wlan0.type=mac80211
wireless.wlan0.country=NL
wireless.wlan0.hwmode=11bg
wireless.wlan0.channel=05
wireless.wlan0.disabled=0
wireless.@wifi-iface[0]=wifi-iface
wireless.@wifi-iface[0].device=wlan0
wireless.@wifi-iface[0].network=lan
wireless.@wifi-iface[0].mode=ap
wireless.@wifi-iface[0].ssid=XXXXXXXXXX
wireless.@wifi-iface[0].encryption=psk2
wireless.@wifi-iface[0].hidden=0
wireless.@wifi-iface[0].key=XXXXXXXXX

wireless.wlan0.country=NL
wireless.wlan0.hwmode_11n=g
wireless.wlan0.channel=05
wireless.@wifi-iface[0].ssid=XXXXXXXXXXX
wireless.@wifi-iface[0].encryption=psk2
wireless.@wifi-iface[0].hidden=0
wireless.@wifi-iface[0].key=XXXXXXXXXXX

@dallienl
This is something you may already know, but is it clear to you that the key is a very long hexa key and not a passphrase ?

For instance, something like:

wireless.@wifi-iface[0].key=ac0e105a7c0756bc10412d0eda75e91538564096803541a5bacac09e73aa5573

You need to enter that same key in your Vista wifi setup dialog window.

Alternatively, if you prefer to use a passphrase, then generate the key thanks to the wpa_passphrase command line utility:

wpa_passphrase Your_SSID Your_PassPhrase

Use the generated key in the router config file and the passphrase in the Vista wifi setup dialog window.

Nope that was not clear because entering a pass phrase worked for me. And yes this phrase contained other characters then hex. Tried entering only hex "1234567890abcdef" this didn't help. Also tried no encryption also this doesn't work in Vista, again windows 7 works fine in all cases.

Will do some more testing later today.

Hello,
Could anyone tell me how can i unbrick my device?
I have a WRT350N v2.1!
Thanks in advance.

falso - not enough info from your end.

How did you brick it?
What is it currently doing?
Do you have Serial/UART access?

WRT to memory upgrade.  Have been running memtester for >24 hours now.  Rock solid big_smile
Now I just need to work out how to set up a-mule (the reason i wanted the 128M memory upgrade)

I just typed sysupgrade in ssh. sad
The router does not have ip, power and lan leds is working but no ping.
I ordered the TTL-232R-3V3-AJ cable.

maddes.b wrote:

If you want to restart with your current installation, just execute "firstboot", then reboot.
All your configs will be gone, and it will be just as it was when you flashed it.

About the modules:
There is no workaround.
It's not stable, it is ongoing developement (trunk version = BETA and sometime ALPHA).
If your system is working with it, then do not upgrade, just wait for a stable release (hopefully somewhen).
If you need additional or newer modules (or kernel), then backup everything and reflash with the latest BETA.

firstboot did indeed restore the router to it's default values. No real harm done..

The firstboot command needs to be performed however from a serial console as network access doesn't work..

For those who are looking for a serial cable. This is where I bought mine.. As I said in an earlier post, it's from a Chinese website. Good luck with the communication side of things! haha

http://item.taobao.com/auction/item_det … m?cm_cat=0

The price is about US$2.00 (16 Chinese Yuan)

from ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/RS232-to-3-3-5v-TTL … 286.c0.m14

The price, USD$15.99

Big difference in price! But then, at what price does communication and convenience come?

I am SURE there must be something in a radioshack catalog or some such.. They're not that hard to find..

Just finished the sniffing of the wireless, not differences between Vista and windows 7. After the association phase (no enc) windows 7 starts the DHCP process and Vista sends a deauthentification 0.2 seconds after the first authentification header was sent Reason code: Unspecified reason (0x0001). So nothing pointing to a config error on the WLAN side.

Gonna try another wireless card see if that works. Will keep you posted.

Andrewm1973 supplied photos, mtd images and logs from the australian WRT350N v2.1 router.
They are available for your reference at ftp://ftp.maddes.net/openwrt/trunk/orio … n_aus_v21/
Firmware is identical to the downloadable stock firmware 2.00.17 for v2.0.
So another proof that v2.1 is just a compatible hardware revision of v2.0.

(Last edited by maddes.b on 7 Apr 2010, 19:35)

Okay my probs are solved. Tested with other wireless adapter and could connect with Vista. Searched for an updated Vista driver for my card 3945ABG and installed it, problem solved. So seemded to be a driver problem in the client side somehow. So no more isseus for me with the current build. Wil do some more testing during the weekend.

@dallienl:
You used a passphrase for .key value on your last working test? Or a hex key?

@operron:
Using a passphrase for the .key value always worked for me.
I think that .key1, .key2, .key3, .key4 are for pure hex keys, but I maybe wrong.

(Last edited by maddes.b on 10 Sep 2009, 15:37)

Yes used a passphrase for the .key. As stated my problems are solved with a driver update, what are the issues other users have with wireless at the moment?

A WLAN/Wifi driver update also fixed it for me (here: Dell Latitude D630 with Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG; now at 12.1.1.0 from 2008; downloaded from Dell).
Let's hope my mobile phone will be fixed too somewhen (WM 6.1).

(Last edited by maddes.b on 10 Sep 2009, 20:55)

maddes.b wrote:

A WLAN/Wifi driver update also fixed it for me (here: Dell Latitude D630 with Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG; now at 12.1.1.0 from 2008; downloaded from Dell).
Let's hope my mobile phone will be fixed too somewhen (WM 6.1).

Dell are a little slow with their driver updates.. 12.??4.??3.??9 is available from Intel's download page. (Generic drivers, yes, but then Dell don't re-engineer their hardware terribly much, only Sony and IBM users need worry about compatibility.. and even then, only with turning on and off their wireless antenna switches.)

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ … p;lang=eng (This link is for the 32-bit Windows XP DRIVER ONLY, it doesn't inc. the Intel wireless management software.)

As for WM6.1, which device are you using? Perhaps the manufacturer of the wireless chipset has updated software for it? If you can tell me the device, maybe I can sniff something out for you..

(I sell/service portable products (notebooks and PDA's).. I may not be able to hack routers, but board level notebook repair is my thing!)

Cheers,

DBM

Does anybody know how to switch WLAN back to "old compatibility mode" as a solution for people who are stuck on old drivers or old devices?
Didn't had any time to deal with wireless on Linux, and will be on vacation next weeks.
Maybe using another driver/management than mac80211 may also help.
Links I would check: http://www.linuxwireless.org/, kernel bugs (maybe bugs 13581 or 13807), http://www.atheros.com/
Would be great if everyone with Linux experience could help sorting that out.
Maybe there's already another thread about this issue in the forum.

@DBM:
I know about the normal Intel drivers, but as it is my working laptop from my employer I try to go with the Dell drivers as long as possible for support reasons.
My mobile is Samsung i900 Omnia (v1) with the latest firmware BHIC2. Will contact german Samsung support about it today.

(Last edited by maddes.b on 11 Sep 2009, 11:02)

This patch doesn't look right
Shoot on first sight:

static void ath_radio_disable(struct ath_softc *sc) # We are going to turn off the radio. Right?
+       ath9k_ps_wakeup(sc); # Wakeup Neo
        ath9k_hw_setpower(ah, ATH9K_PM_FULL_SLEEP); # Sleep now (you take the blue pill?)
+       ath9k_ps_restore(sc); # WTF!
} # Radio should be off at this point. Isn't It?

Looks like someone put Power Save code without thinking.
Edit: Code comment in green.

(Last edited by Nilfred on 11 Sep 2009, 13:01)

Just wanted to say that all of you who made this possible rock big time. I have been reading and following this thread since the beginning, but did not dare until now to try openwrt on my router. I alwas had an issue with the stock fw and the wifi connection.... my iphone always lost connection after a couple of minutes and this morning it was just getting too annoying... Once decided to switch to openwrt NOW it only took me about 5 minutes to upgrade with the webinterface, install luci and configure the wifi in luci

I have a v2.1 unit (bought in Switzerland, s/n SNQ10Hxxxxxx, fw 2.00.19) with maddes webugrade image

the wifi config is currently:

wireless.wlan0.channel=5
wireless.@wifi-iface[0].ssid=XXXXX
wireless.@wifi-iface[0].encryption=wep
wireless.@wifi-iface[0].key=XXXXX

I am currently trying to find out how to configure WPA security, since luci mentions some additional package is required.

Thank you so much for all of this.... I am really happy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards

Nik

Hello,
I got my usb TTL cable.
I am connected with putty to serial access to WRT350N v2.1!
After listing some stuff it says Please press Enter to activate this console (when i press nothing happens).
I tried to press CTRL-C but it doesn't work either. sad
Could someone help me please.
I'm trying to unbrick this router.
Please check these pics for more info -> http://img180.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=putty1.jpg
Thanks.

(Last edited by falso on 15 Sep 2009, 18:54)

falso wrote:

Please check these pics for more info -> http://img180.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=putty1.jpg

Screen captures of putty output! lol Are you trying to torture us? Is easier for both ends if you copy & paste text  only.
Anyway, check your hardware connection for good Tx, bad Rx (router side).

Nilfred wrote:
falso wrote:

Screen captures of putty output! lol Are you trying to torture us? Is easier for both ends if you copy & paste text  only.
Anyway, check your hardware connection for good Tx, bad Rx (router side).

Sorry about that pics. tongue

I am stuck after this..

Please be patient, while OpenWrt loads ...
- preinit -
Press CTRL-C for failsafe
switching to jffs2
mini_fo: using base directory: /
mini_fo: using storage directory: /jffs
- init -

Please press Enter to activate this console.

CTRL-C doesn't work.. i dont know what to do now. sad

(Last edited by falso on 16 Sep 2009, 03:20)

falso: are you able to hit enter when it says "Hit ENTER to stop autoboot" early on?

falso wrote:

Hello,
I got my usb TTL cable.
I am connected with putty to serial access to WRT350N v2.1!
After listing some stuff it says Please press Enter to activate this console (when i press nothing happens).
I tried to press CTRL-C but it doesn't work either. sad
Could someone help me please.
I'm trying to unbrick this router.
Thanks.

if it is bricked, you may need to stop autoboot and enter what I would call the "recovery console" (I do not know what the technical term is, please someone enlighten me).

dbSign is:65:52:63:4f:6d:4d
mac address in flash is:00:1d:7e:ad:ce:5c
have eRcOmM
Hit ENTER to stop autoboot:  0
copy kernel from 0xff800000 to 0x400000 with size 0x200000
## Booting image at 00400000 ...
   Image Name:   Linux-2.6.30.5
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
   Data Size:    900180 Bytes = 879.1 kB
   Load Address: 00008000
   Entry Point:  00008000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
OK

Starting kernel ...

I Tried to press enter to stop autoboot but without sucess. sad
So i managed to press enter and CTRL-C but they doesn't work.

(Last edited by falso on 16 Sep 2009, 12:41)