OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Hardware hacking and WIP-Day

The content of this topic has been archived on 20 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

At first it can seem very simple to modify a wireless router - just 'click, download and install'. But if you want to go much further it is needed to know, and have experience with, the hardware itself.

I have announce the attempt at kicking WIP-Day into reality --> http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=11193

Now I would like remind that the first WIP-Day will take place on the up-coming saturday, from UTC 12.00 and 24 hours ahead. It will take place on #openwrt-devel, so just login if you would like to get your fingers (and tools) into hacking hardware.

If you are new to 'hardware hacking' on embedded devices and OpenWrt - or would like to spend some community time collaborating with other members on a new 'hack' the coming WIP-Day could be an opportunity.
There is room for all kinds of activities, and a few exmaples could be:

- A 'hack' which helps with cooling --> http://xs316.xs.to/xs316/07264/DSCN3328.JPG

- Another example could be the brainwashing of la fonera and adding OLSR meshing to it --> http://wiki.freifunk-hannover.de/Fonera_mit_OLSR
(though this guide needs to be translated into english, which could be a project in itself).

- Or, if you just feel insecure about the process of installing an image via tftp, then help would be at hand.

If you have other ideas or things you need help with add it to this thread and/or join on saturday.

WIP-Day didn't result in a lot of new and exiting hardware mods/hacks. Though, this is not a reason not organize the next WIP-Day and I would like to thank all who took part and supported smile

The next WIP-Day will happen on the last saturday in July - saturday the 28. of July - from UTC 12.00 and 24 hours ahead.

The next WIP-Day (Work-In-Progress-Day) is approaching. It will take place on saturday, 28. of July, from UTC 12.00 and 24 hours ahead.

If you'r hacking an interesting project together, or would like to experiment with a new mod - then join the #openwrt-devel channel and present what you'r idea or ask for help.

Hey, good luck with the WIP day - sorry I won't be able to attend.

One area I thought would be a cool hack is to make the router(s) more aware of their enviroment in terms of time of day and power supply.

This would be especially useful when combined with OLSR, the router could modify the 'willingness' depending on how much power it has left in the battery pack (and combine this calculation with time if it was solar powered).

This sort of thing could be hacked in with I2C or 1-Wire interface.
Cheers,
Mungewell.

This is a great idea!  I wish I could make this one.  Hardware hacking is not for the faint of heart, and some hand-holding is definitely cool.

Has anyone thought of putting together a "parts list" for preparation?

Soldering Iron
RAM chips
Chipquik
Solder Sucker
Long Tweezers
Fine gauge solder
No clean flux
Solder stand (don't use the tiny one that came with your iron)
Magnifying Glass
Probe set
Fine gauge wire (I never pull pads wink )

Anything I'm missing here?

Maybe such a list should be moved to the 'Howtos and Documentation' section ?

mungewell wrote:

One area I thought would be a cool hack is to make the router(s) more aware of their enviroment in terms of time of day and power supply.

This would be especially useful when combined with OLSR, the router could modify the 'willingness' depending on how much power it has left in the battery pack (and combine this calculation with time if it was solar powered).

Cheers,
Mungewell.

I hacked an I2C bus on my WRT54GL with a real-time-clock, and bought some DS1621 temperature-sensor/thermostat chips.
I'm going to install one in my router so I can know the internal temperature in the box.
Since it's also a thermostat, I may make it turn on a fan based on configured thresholds but I doubt a fan is really needed.

That's really cool, please let everyone know how you do the thermostat chip.

Of course I will.
Currently working on upgrading the RAM in my 2 routers.

Just wanted to express my interest.  Hardware hacking is the whole reason I got involved in OpenWrt.

I'll try to set aside some time for the event.

nekmech wrote:
mungewell wrote:

Cheers,
Mungewell.

I hacked an I2C bus on my WRT54GL with a real-time-clock, and bought some DS1621 temperature-sensor/thermostat chips.
I'm going to install one in my router so I can know the internal temperature in the box.
Since it's also a thermostat, I may make it turn on a fan based on configured thresholds but I doubt a fan is really needed.

more info?

Oh god, i've missed it !
i've read this post today and i've lost it.

Sounds very interesting to me I2C but with other mods it could be harder to have 4 more I/Os free for use, i didn't read about your cool mod before but it's nice, i'm studying 1-Wire Bus (Dallas) for RTC too and also for driving an external generic purpouse I/O card.

Ben

ben72 wrote:

Oh god, i've missed it !
i've read this post today and i've lost it.

Sounds very interesting to me I2C but with other mods it could be harder to have 4 more I/Os free for use, i didn't read about your cool mod before but it's nice, i'm studying 1-Wire Bus (Dallas) for RTC too and also for driving an external generic purpouse I/O card.

Ben

True, using 4 GPIO's makes it difficult to perform other mods like MMC/SD, but if you only need simple I/O ports an I2C I/O expander works well.
I've tested my I2C bus with all kinds of externel devices like an I/O expander PCF8574, temperature sensor DS1621, PIC microcontroller as I2C slave etc..
It's been very reliable.

Hi,

what is the Current Status of the 1-Wire and or I2C on FONera ?

Thanks.

The discussion might have continued from here.