OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Work-In-Progress Day (WIP-Day)

The content of this topic has been archived on 5 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Work-In-Progress Day (WIP-Day)

New things are happening these days – Kamikaze is officially released,
new hardware platforms are being added and there will soon come a move
to the 2.6.22 kernel.

It can be overwhelming to keep track of all these new developments, and
difficult for individuals who wants to participate active to find out
where to begin?
I recently started a thread on the openwrt-devel mailing-list about how to
do something about some of these problems. As a result of various input
and respons to my idea I would like to suggest a new initiative with the title:

Work-In-Progress Day (WIP-Day)

It is the intention to organize a monthly working day (24 hours) similar
to the Gentoo projects bugday:

www.gentoo.org/proj/en/bugday/index.xml

The Gentoo bugday is a monthly "day" (24 hours during a weekend)
focussed on fixing "bugs" in both distribution and packages.
In practice it takes place on IRC, and the aim is to make it possible
for everyone to participate in fixing a "bug" (independent of skills and
experience). There is an official list of "bugs" which is posted before
the day starts, and various developers/committers help people who take
part with learning how to do this (this was the very short version of
what goes on). As it is stated on the Gentoo website:

“... every first saturday of a month, a bugday is hosted on
#gentoo-bugs, on irc.freenode.net. During the whole day, users pick bugs
from the list presented on bugday.gentoo.org and, with the possible help
of attending devs, try and fix them....”

It is the aim of the Gentoo bugday to function as a way of helping
people to participate in the activities of the project and at the same
time to be a social forum.

I would like to suggest that something similar was introduced as part of
the activities of OpenWrt? Though, I have to admit that I believe the
concept itself would have to be changed somewhat.

There are many different things which can be worked on: Hardware
platforms, porting of packages, documentation, localization and so
forth. I would like to suggest that a needs/offers model is followed
instead.
One person, or group could offer to work on porting on packages –
teaching/helping others to do this – while similar others could could
state a need for working on a specific platform (or device).

This initiative could start-out with using the forum for posting of
offers/needs and host the “day” itself on #openwrt-devel, combined with
posting 'what are we doing' emails on openwrt-devel@lists.openwrt.org –
these emails could then be merged together into a monthly newsletter.

When to begin with this new activity?
I would like to suggest that a first WIP-Day could take place either after the
official move to the 2.6.22 kernel or (just to pick a date) saturday the 30. of June
from UTC 12.00 and 24 hours ahead.

How to begin?
People/members who are interested can begin with adding a list of 'offers and needs'
to this forum-thread, and take part in deciding when such a first WIP-Day should
take place - and basicly just discuss the idea :-)

glp

As a beginning.

I would like to offer to work on Kamikaze documentation.

+ generally do practical work with wrapping the newsletter together and such.

Well if I can be of any assistance count me in I don't mind helping the beginners with basics and I have a little knowledge about the hardware side of things too.

(Last edited by trine on 18 Jun 2007, 12:58)

Update to the practical planning

WIP-Day 0.1 will take place on the 30. of June, from UTC 12.00 and 24 hours ahead.

Update to WIP-Day practical stuff:

The activities will take place on IRC  #openwrt-devel - and updates on running activites will be posted on the openwrt-devel mailing-list.

*bump*

Just an update to remind everyone that WIP-day happens tomorrow; we need as much help as possible to make this a success.

The first WIP-Day is now gone and it has been 24 quiet, but nice hours. I would like to thank all who took part and supported.

One of the questions which emerged during discussions, was a suggestion that during the next WIP-Day to try to get people together in work with fixing existing tickets from svn. This would probably need that one or more members made a list of suggestions to work on?

The next WIP-Day will happen on the last saturday in July - the 28. of July - at UTC 12.00 and 24 hours ahead. Hope to see everyone again :-)

The last saturday in the month is quickly approaching and this means a new WIP-Day (Work-In-Progress-Day) will take place from UTC 12.00 and 24 hours ahead (on the 28. of July).

Everyone is free to participate, all it takes is to join the #openwrt-devel channel and present what you would like to work on, or ask for help with finding solutions.

Chz

Dear OpenWrt'..rs

The up-coming weekend will again be host to 24 hours of WIP-Day
activities, beginning on saturday a UTC 12.00. There is a continued list
of topics which havn't been closed, or new subject I've found a reason
for adding (here reminding everyone that the list of topics is open for
extension and editing):

1. Documentation-Team

2. Release-Team

3. Copyright discussion

4. Social OpenWrt-It :-)

5. Misc ... ?

Apart from this, there should be plenty of room for more practical
activites such as having a go at building a package for OpenWrt or giving the core-dev group feedback on the recent/upcoming release :-)

Chz

WIP-Day August will take place tomorrow at UTC 12.00 and 24 hours ahead - this time a list of discussion topics have neen pasted @ http://pastebin.ca/669089
Feel free to add comments or new/other topics, it would also be a good way to ask for help/assistance with something in particular :-)

I would just like to remind everyone that WIP-Day will return on next saturday - the 29th of September and beginning at UTC 12.00 and 24 hours ahead.

One of the topics is the ongoing work with the OpenWrt Documentation, should you have suggestions or would like to participate then just logon to IRC #openwrt-devel.

:-)

I had problems to let Chillispot work on my Meraki Mini (DHCP doesn't work). Unfortunately it seems to be just an Atheros-2.6 target issue (see: https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/2404), because on the other devices I tested (broadcom-2.4 and adm5120-2.6) worked correctly, so I'm not sure I can get help from you. It would be nice to let Chillispot work on a so small and efficient device...

(Last edited by ggp81 on 24 Sep 2007, 09:22)

My best advice would be to join #openwrt-devel on saturday - then we could take a look at it together.

Chz

If I will find time, I will be very happy to do it smile

Just a reminder: WIP-Day September will take place tomorrow (saturday the 29th of September) beginning at UTC 12.00 and 24 hours ahead. It will as usual find it's place on IRC #openwrt-devel.

Hope to see as many as possible :-)

WIP-Day will find it's beginning in a few hours - at UTC 12.00 and then the following 24 hours :-)

The October version of WIP-Day will take its beginning on saturday from UTC 12.00 and 24 hours ahead. Things will be a little different this time, then there will be a switch from summer-time and winter-time (which I'm looking forward to experience).

Should there be an interest in taking a look at fixing one of the svn-tickets, or maybe porting a package to OpenWrt, there will room and time on irc #openwrt-devel :-)

CU there

Next saturday (24th November) will again play host to WIP-Day, and as prior "editions" the whole will find its beginning at UTC 12.00 and continue the following 24 hours - the place is as usual IRC #openwrt-devel

I have a couple of things on the list, which have been suggested to me or something I've put there myself:

- How is it coming along with the OpenWrt MediaCenter Edition?

- Wireless and WDS on Kamikaze is still a confusing subject (it is my personal plan to find out if it works or not, with a focus on brcm hardware)?

- I believe it would be a good opportunity to generatew some input in terms of a list of 'what-would-we-all-like-as-feature' in the upcoming Kamikaze releases (+ generalized feedback pointing towards the next release)?

- 24c3 Congress is shortly going to be a reality (from the 27th to 30th of December in Berlin, Germany), and as prior years a number of developers and members are going to gather for talks, work and lots of partying - So, who's going to go and participate?

http://events.ccc.de/congress/2007/Main_Page

Chz ;-)

WIP-Day @ 24c3, Berlin.

What will take place during the next saturday is a bit of a question - hopefully it will be live and alive with a lot of partying. Come along and join :-)

As usual the main-channel will be #openwrt-devel and beginning at UTC 12:00.

Dear All

WIP-Day returns (with neither revenge nor vengeance) on saturday the 23th of February 2008, beginning UTC 12:00 and running for 24 hours on the irc -devel channel ;-)

We're all waiting for the next official release, so let's join together and do some 'human buildbot' work and then test the created images to the max (and generate a lot of bug-reports).

Chz

Just a small reminder - WIP-Day February takes off tomorrow at UTC 13:00 on irc -devel ;-)

I think we're all hoping for a few good stories from FOSDEM while doing some human buildbotting tongue

WIP-Day March

As it has happened before time has almost found the last saturday in yet another month. Tomorrow at UTC 12:00 WIP-Day will again find it's beginning on irc #openwrt-devel, and run for 24 hours.

The major theme of this edition is 'package maintaining' - likewise in terms of practical work with fixing broken packages, as well as a chance for volunteers to commit to maintaining packages in the future.

Hope to "see" both known and unknown faces :-)

WIP-Day will again emerge on saturday at UTC 12:00 on #openwrt-devel, and spread its life across the following 24 hours.

Sublab is inviting OpenWrt developers and users to join a "shut up and code" meeting in Leipzig. Leipzig is also the LuCI melting pot,
so it would be a real good change to continue the ongoing discussions around the various webif solutions and take directly part in the
development. The Sublab meeting lasts all weekend and begins tomorrow (friday) in the evening.

join leipzig.freifunk.net@conference.jabber.ccc.de for more contact.

Sublab is at http://www.diac24.net/space_wegbeschrei … e_weg.html

Sleeping places should be available, please give the people at Sublab notice in advance.

organisation should take place at
http://sublab.subsignal.org/wikka.php?w … DevMeeting

Chz

Are you guys going to begin doing these again?

The discussion might have continued from here.