ZyXEL NWA50AX Pro Performance

Since I can't reply to other threads since they are all closed, I created this one...

I replaced my old Archer C7 with the ZyXEL NWA50AX Pro (Wifi6/2.5G AP)

Installation Instructions: https://openwrt.org/toh/zyxel/nwa50ax_pro

It is simply flashed over the Zyxel Web GUI

Switch reports POE Idle usage with 7 watts (30 devices connected)

Speedtest with Iperf3 from rather old Phone (wifi5 only), probably limited by the phone itself:

Upload: 449mbit/s           Download: 545mbit/s          Upload: 65mbit/s            Download: 72mbit/s
      Phone (5Ghz / 877mbit)      Phone (5Ghz / 877mbit)      Phone (2.4Ghz / 144mbit)     Phone (2.4Ghz / 144mbit)
                |                            ^                            |                           ^
                |                            |                            |                           |
                v                            |                            v                           |
        AP (Ethernet 2.5G)           AP (Ethernet 2.5G)           AP (Ethernet 2.5G)           AP (Ethernet 2.5G)
                |                            ^                            |                           ^
                |                            |                            |                           |
                v                            |                            v                           |
              Switch                       Switch                       Switch                      Switch
        Server (Fiber 10G)          Server (Fiber 10G)           Server (Fiber 10G)          Server (Fiber 10G)

So far really happy with it.

Hi

Can you please measure the power consumption under load again?

I'm looking for a PoE powered AP at the moment and there are two which I'm interested in.

Zyxel NWA50AX PRO and the Unifi U6+.

The Zyxel has the better 5GHz radio config (3x3 vs 2x2 on the U6+) but in the data sheet the power consumption is almost 2,5 times higher than that from the U6+.

20,5 Watt Zyxel vs 9 Watt U6+.

The Zyxel AP has a 2,5Gbit port. But 11,5W more?

Can you add your measured power consumption to this post?
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/power-consumption-of-routers-and-associated-networking-equipment-collection/

On load I get 13 watts, I compared netgear / zyxel and unifi but the zyxel was the best overall, still very happy with it and it's now officially supported by openwrt.

Since I don't know how accurate the power consumption reporting of the switch is I'm not going to do that, I think that should be done with a proper multimeter inline to get accurate results.

Well the table over there has a cokumn for measurement device and a subtable listingvthese devices, so you could simply mention the reliability question. Even slightly unreliable piwer usage data is better then no data.

Netgear WAX220 vs Ubiquiti U6+ vs Zyxel NWA50AX Pro?

Do you have results which you can share with us?

Hello. Is someone able to get 30 dB on the wifi with the Zyxel on 5 GHz? I tried with the latest official but I get 26 dB, while with the Snapshot I get 28 dB.

Via the Zyxel interface, it's possible to get to 30 dB. I tried multiple countries, but I can't get enough power.

I wanted to use 1 to be the main wifi6 router and 2 as wireless bridge to connect the rest of the devices, but the wifi coverage is not good... not sure if I can replace the antennas in the Zyxel, did someone try?