Xiaomi Wifi Router 3G - 19.07.x / Wifi issues 2.4GHz + 5GHz

Continuing the discussion from Xiaomi Wifi Router 3G - 18.06.x / Wifi issues 2.4GHz + 5GHz

This topic is for discussion of WiFi issues of Xiaomi Wifi Router 3G with OpenWrt 19.07.

For general questions regarding Xiaomi Wifi Router 3G / OpenWrt 19.07, please see

1 Like

can anyone share comments on 19.07.0 wireless performance and bugs (if any) compared to 18.06.x ??

WiFi 2.4 GHz is very great in 19.07.0, but for 5 GHz I only got ~1 MB/s which is very bad! Anyone facing same issue?

I am using it as repeater with relayd and 5GHZ, additionally i created a 2.4GHz access point.
Currently at 19.07.0, but have to try master branch soon, because the 5GHz Upload speed is lower than 1MBit and not really usable for me at the moment.

@netrix @DarkerTimes did you both see normal performance in 18.06.5 or 18.06.6?

In 18.06.X i could not get the 5GHz relayd to work (some deauthenticate problem, or wrong settings). So i used 2.4Ghz, but it was not that stable performance wise (varied from 10-25MBit). With 19.07 i switched to 5GHz relayd, because it works now for me. Download speed is fine, but i am not sure what to try to get the Upload speed working.
So i cant really tell if its better or worse than previous versions.

Yes, up to 150 Mbps

In that case, you should probably report this as a regression issue on the mt76's issue page: https://github.com/openwrt/mt76/issues

Perhaps it will help @nbd pinpoint and fix the issue

Hi, sorry for my english. I have 19.07.03 and 2.4GHz is really really bad and unstable. The RX drop constantly, i have packetloss, disconnections and router reboot.
Number of devices >20.
In kernel log i can read
entered blocking state
entered forwarding state
device wlan0 entered promiscuous mode
etc...
5ghz working fine. Any tips?

I just installed the 19.07.03 on my Mi R3G to be a dump AP and 2.4GHz appears to be working fine (I'm not sure, none of my devices uses it) but I can't activate 5Ghz. Tried different channels and everything, I'm not sure what else to do. It shows as "Device not active" on radio1 and says "Wireless is not associated" in the part where I'm supposed to configure the SSID and other stuff.

The only change I've made to the router was putting the WAN port in the LAN vlan so I could use it as well.

Lots of MT76 patches submitted for kernel 5.10.

Hopefully these will improve the Wifi in the Xiaomi 3G

1 Like

They are part of the mt76 driver and are thus part of OpenWRT

Hello Guys,

I just flashed the OpenWrt 19.07.6 r11278-8055e38794 / LuCI openwrt-19.07 branch git-21.018.57536-6ba9740 !

I have breed and was very very easy to flash it using the dev rom exploit.

I'm having issues with wireless, with Padavan i was getting 500mb speed on wireless, now with openwrt i only get 300mb maximum on 5ghz, is there any solution available and does anyone knows what could be causing it?

Best Regards

I guess that could be related with wireless driver. AFAIK Padavan uses propietary wifi drivers which have better performance rather the ones that OpenWRT are using.

Regarding the 2.4Ghz band: I'm using MIR3G as a dumb AP with 19.07.5 and all my IOT devices are connected to that AP and from time to time I'm getting some strange behaviour. I can see devices connected to the AP in luci, but I can't ping them o access to them. I need to restart the radio an let them connect again to be able to access or ping them.

Is anyone is experiencing something similar on band 2.4Ghz ?

I was now finally able to flash OpenWRT to my mir3g, but it doesn't appear to have Wi-Fi hw at all ? Modules won't load, no interfaces are showing up, no Wireless in LuCI. If I put something to /etc/config/wireless, LuCI menu entry appears, but the Wi-Fi can't start...

Thu Jul 29 19:51:00 2021 daemon.notice netifd: radio1 (1717): Could not find PHY for device 'radio1'
Thu Jul 29 19:51:00 2021 daemon.notice netifd: radio1 (1726): WARNING: Variable 'data' does not exist or is not an array/object

If I eg. try to restart the device.