X86 router build

Hi,

I'm not exactly sure that I have to use this category but whatever. Do any of you use a PC as a router and what media do you use to install LEDE on - currently I'm thinking of using a simple USB drive as no spare drives (either SSD or HDD) are available. Would it make any sense of using one or the USB is sufficient?

Regards

I myself use the ext4 images, but there are Squashfs versions as well. Squashfs is better for your storage's longevity and reliability, but it only provides the root file system; the overlay (which will contain your settings and any packages you install) will still be written to an ext4 partition most probably (just like on embedded you'd have a writeable JFFS2 overlay). I'd recommend using a small SSD (or a HDD you can spare) and going with the ext4 version. You can use sysupgrade like on any other device, which is neat.

I maintain an APU2 myself e.g. with a 16 GB SSD. Reliability of USB sticks can vary wildly, and there's nothing more annoying than your internet being quirky and having to find out what's causing it... So get a cheap SSD. Even if it's not the best one, since you'll be only using a few hundreds of megabytes, it will take years till it wears out.

2 Likes

I recommend squashfs images, any usb drive will do because most of the times it will only be read acces to the device, the write will be only when you make changes and tha's mostly at first boot. The overlay partition will be formatted as f2fs flash friendly filesistem.
you can use a nano usb drive and all will be elegant.
Regards

2 Likes

Okay, ordered a cheap SSD off aliexpress. Will use a USB until it arrives. Thank you both