WRT32X Partitions

Well, thank you very much everyone. I'll see what I do, if I return it because it's used or I try it with open wrt and I'll keep it if it's okay. I'll comment you yet!

1 Like

It may be that the chip is flashed at the factory with 2x older firmware and updated to the latest release during test and calibration. On a NAND-based device, flashing firmware takes only a few seconds.

1 Like

Hi again, everybody. I already installed the openwrt image and I think I'm going to keep it. Now I have another question, what would be the other download, the .bin, what functions would that update bring? Thank you!

There are two formats that contain the same thing -- one is for flashing through the OEM GUI, the other is for flashing through OpenWrt. When a new OpenWrt release is available, you'll likely use a "sysupgrade" image and flash it using OpenWrt, not a "factory" image.

1 Like

The initramfs-kernel image is used for development or special situations as a one-time boot as a stepping stone toward installing the regular sysupgrade version. Since the initramfs version runs entirely from RAM, it does not store any settings in flash, so it is not suitable for operational use.

On this model, regular users should go directly to the factory or sysupgrade version.

2 Likes

Perfect Jeff, understood, thank you very much!

Hey guys, how are you?. I annoy them with a new concern that has arisen. The firmware is the same for the WRT32X or WRT32XB ?. Thank you!

Hey, I have a question that I could use some help with.

I am trying to test out both openWRT and dd-wrt on my wrt32xb. I started with openWRT (on partition 1; leaving Venom on partition 2).

I can pretty freely move between the two partitions (openWRT and Venom), but I cannot get any other firmware to load over openWRT on partition 1 (neither Venom or ddwrt). After "installing" either firmware via the Venom GUI while running on partition 2, the router reboots and always comes back with openWRT/Luci running on partition 1.

Any thoughts?

-Adam

Depending on how you install it, you may need to set the proper U-Boot variables to change to the “other” partition. While OpenWrt does this for its own upgrades, I don’t know how you’re installing the other firmwares.

Thank you, Jeff.

Once the router reboots (after installing an alternate firmware on boot_part 1), it opens the OpenWRT/Luci interface when I http://192.168.1.1.

I then use an xterm window to ssh into 192.168.1.1 and confirm that the fw_printenv boot_part = 1

I then fw_setenv boot_part 2 so I can go back to the Venom GUI, then I reboot

It boots to Venom as expected.

I then try to flash other firmwares (dd-wrt and Venom) from Venom's GUI, trying to over-write openWRT on boot_part 1. The final step of installation is an automatic reboot.

{then repeat/go to top of this posting}

I can't seem to get something other than openWRT to install on boot_part 1 through Venom. Is there an alternate way to scp in a file to boot_part 2 and do a sysupdate instead of using Venom?

-Adam

Might be that the partition layout or, more likely, the UBI volumes aren't what Venom is expecting and the Venom upgrade process does not "reformat" the volumes. It might be that a mismatch causes a "silent failure" of the Venom upgrade process.