WRT32X Partitions

Hola a todos, acabo de registrarme.
He comprado este router y quisiera instalar el open wrt, pero quisiera saber en cual particion se instalará la imagen, en la q ya tengo configurada o en la q está oculta?. Muchas gracias!

It's a round-robin design, so the other partition; i.e. the one that is not current.

1 Like

Ah ok, porque en la q estoy, la oficial digamos, tiene el firmware Versión 1.0.180404.58 wrt32x y en la oculta tiene el firmware Version 1.0.170828.208 venom, osea q me vendieron un router usado, porque ya ha sido manipulado. De todos modos cual firm me convendria sobreescribir con el open wrt? Muchas gracias x responder!

@Deep, welcome to the community!

Please always provide an English translation:

Hello everyone, I just registered.
I bought this router and I would like to install the open wrt, but I would like to know in which partition the image will be installed, in which I already have it configured or in which it is hidden ?. Thank you!

1 Like

Ah ok, because in the q I am, the official say, has the firmware version 1.0.180404.58 wrt32x and in the hidden has the firmware Version 1.0.170828.208 venom, I mean they sold me a used router, because it has already been manipulated. Anyway, which firm would I like to overwrite with the open wrt? Thank you very much for replying!

As @anomeome noted, you are flashing the opposite (THE INACTIVE) flash space. It uses round robin.

Ah ok, because in the one I am, the official say, it has the firmware version 1.0.180404.58 wrt32x and in the hidden one it has the firmware version 1.0.170828.208 venom, so I sold a used router, because it has already been manipulated. In all the ways, what is the partition that I am advised to overwrite with the open wrt? Thank you very much for answering!

"The other one" -- These dual-firmware routers are set up so that if a boot fails multiple times (three?) it will try to boot the other firmware. This helps with a "bad flash", letting you get back to an (older) running version.

If you are flashing OpenWrt for the first time, and both firmware versions on the router are running, then it shouldn't matter. You'll still have "good" firmware for the other version if something goes wrong.

If you flash OpenWrt and then upgrade using OpenWrt, then you will have both versions on OpenWrt. I would not recommend a "double flash" until you are very confident that your OpenWrt version is running well. Most non-developers have little advantage in flashing both versions at the same time.

1 Like

I understand, but as explained before, I have installed two official firmwares on both partitions, but they are not the same, apparently one is newer, which one should I preserve? Thank you!

In the hidden partition it have: Version 1.0.170828.208 venom and in the main one it have: Version 1.0.180404.58 wrt32x

You need to boot on the partition that you wish to remain intact. The other partition will be flashed and boot in a Round Robin manner. This has been described 3 different ways by: @anomeome, @jeff and myself.

Hope this helps.

If you're confused, flash the OEM firmware twice, then flash OpenWrt.

1 Like

Hello everyone, I just registered.
I bought this router and would like to install the open wrt, but I would like to know in which partition the image will be installed, in which I have already configured it or in which it is hidden ?. Thank you!

Lol...

Si está confundido, actualice el firmware OEM dos veces, luego flash OpenWrt.

To install OpenWrt, boot up the stock firmware and use the upgrade function to install an OpenWrt image. It does not matter which partition it ends up in. The next boot will be your new firmware.

As @lleachii said, flashing stock firmware (or any firmware) twice will put a copy of the same firmware in both partitions, completely removing whatever was in the router before.

1 Like

latest is Ver. 1.0.180404.58 so I assume that would be the keeper, personally I would only keep OEM long enough to flash away from it, but...

1 Like

lleachii, you do not understand me, I'm just asking which of the two firmwares that I have it suits me to preserve. LOL !

I do understand, and @anomeome elaborated:

You were also told how to preserve it.

If your question is about the quality of the two versions of OEM firmware, ask here: https://community.linksys.com

This forum is strictly about OpenWrt.

And why do you think the router that I bought came with two stock firmwares with different versions?

You told us why:

If you want a more definitive answer, you have to ask the person who sold it to you, or Linksys.

1 Like

Someone bought it then upgraded it when new firmware was released. Which is the normal and recommended way to use a router.

The newer version will always run unless something goes wrong. The next upgrade will replace the old version, so what is running now becomes the backup old version.

1 Like

You can look through the release notes here if you'd like.

1 Like