wrt3200ACM clients can connect to internet, but I cant install packages or ping

Hello,

so I just started using OpenWRT. I installed it on an wrt3200ACM and the connected clients work and connect to the internet but I cant download or update packages nor can I ping anything outside the network. Im running the linksys as a AP, but I need to install and update packages for mesh networking.
DNS, DHCP, firwall and so on is handled by a pfSense Server.

I really hope someone can help me.

Likely you have forgot to set the DNS and gateway (and subnet netmask?) options in the WRT3200ACM.

1 Like

If your OpenWrt device is not the gateway for itself, you need to configure the upstream DNS server and gateway as well (or configure it to use DHCP).

Where exactly would I configure this?

in luci network/interface/lan/general setup or network/interface/wan/advanced setting.

The same place, LAN address settings, where you set the fixed IP for the router.
Either directly to /etc/config/network or via LuCI

config interface 'lan'
        option type 'bridge'
        option ifname 'eth0.1'
        option proto 'static'
        option netmask '255.255.255.0'
        option ip6assign '60'
        option ipaddr '192.168.1.2'
        option ip6ifaceid '::2'
        option gateway '192.168.1.1'
        option dns '192.168.1.1'

If your WRT3200ACM would get its address via DHCP like the "connected clients", it would get those from the main router, but as it likely has a fixed IP address, it needs to get those from the config file along the IP address itself.

Thanks for the reply and your help.
I already had everything setup the LAN interface like this. The thing is I then copied the text config and pasted it in the right place. After that I was able to see the availabe packages, but after reboot it stopped working again. I dont know maybe I disabled something that i shouldnt. I used the docs for setting up an dumb AP/ Access Point only.

So its fixed. This script did it for me. Thanks you your help.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.