Wireless vlan configuration

Hi,
I'm not a networking expert,
so I will try to explain it in simple words.

I want to extend network wirelessly (without ethernet cable), in a way that the new extended network will has it's own IP range, like a separate network.

The goal:
My neighbors provide me with internet (with their permission)
Currently I have Xiaomi 4A gigabit connected to their WIFI as AP / repeater (not sure, it's default repeater setting in xiaomi router).

now, I have local NAS server connected to my xiaomi router.
the problem -
It seems like when I accessing things on the server, the traffic goes through the neighbors router, and it makes lags, and the speed is slower (for instance accessing local smb share)

So I think that if I would have vlan on my router the traffic should not go through the neighbors router to my NAS server, but instead it will go directly.

How can I configure wireless ap (extender) with vlan and of course internet connection?

Update:
I managed to config it.
Now I got different IP range on the wirelessly extended network
and looks like now I can access my NAS server much faster.
the only problem that left is that I used static ip config,
for some reason dhcp isn't working for me (When I connect from my phone / pc id doesn't provide me ip),
I would appreciate your help, thank you very much

my config files:

config interface 'lan'
	option ifname 'eth0'
	option type 'bridge'
	option proto 'static'
	option netmask '255.255.255.0'
	option ipaddr '10.0.0.8'
	option gateway '10.0.0.138'
	option mtu '1500'
	list dns '10.0.0.138'

something is wrong here.
leave all default on the router,will be better.
you need only make sure that your lan ip range on openwrt router is different from the other router.
like if your friend router is 192.168.1.1 , your router lan should be 192.168.2.1

I like how creative people get. But as far as I understand what you are trying to do: you want to share your friends internet but instead of using a cable you want it via a wireless connection.

No other resources should be shared with your friend. Like he should not be able to access your NAS and you should not be able to access any of his devices.

So: go to wireless, choose which radio you want to use (2.4 or 5GHz). Scan for his SSID. Join that network (input password etc).

Done!

This will create a WWAN which will automatically be in the WAN firewall zone.

If your friends router is also using 192.168.1.x then you have to change your router to a different subnet like is mention in the previous post.

Extra bonus: since your device only has 3 Ethernet ports, move the β€œwan” into the LAN and br-lan so you have an additional local lab connection if needed. You can delete the wan6 in that case.

You right, my extra goal is to seperate the resources too.
Currently I use openwrt with has no GUI (default firmware of xiaomi)
Is there a way to config it with the config files?

I tried the default settings, just changed as you told me like that:
(I changed the ip in a hope so it will give the clients same new ip range)

config interface 'lan'
	option ifname 'eth0'
	option type 'bridge'
	option proto 'static'
	option netmask '255.255.255.0'
	option ipaddr '192.168.40.1' <---- Here
	option gateway '10.0.0.138'
	option mtu '1500'
	list dns '10.0.0.138'

But then I got no internet connection

Update:
I installed openwrt with the GUI
and did what you just told me, it worked like a charm
Thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.