WireGuard questions from a noob

Hi all! don't hit me! I'm noob.

Just a couple of questions:

1. Can I change IP's like in OpenVPN on the fly? is there any package to do that?

2. Is there a REAL speed boost in the connection? (I couldn't notice)

Yesterday I lost my whole day configuring WireGuard VPN on my router, I'm using Proton VPN (paid), I ate all the posts here about the theme and I finally made it work; but I found the speed was the same than when using openvpn and I didn't see any way to switch between connections to other vpn servers like I can do with openvpn.

So basically your answers will make my decision if I still invest time on this or let it be and stick to my openvpn.

thanks!

By change IP's, do you mean change VPN endpoints/servers? That would depend on your VPN service provider, but presumably yes. There's no issue setting up multiple interfaces for WG, so you just activate one at a time.

No, not sure where you'd have seen this advertised or claimed, unless you're talking about vs OpenVPN. The maximum speed you can get is more-or-less the same as the internet connection you have to your router (with caveats). Your router, depending on the CPU capabilities, will potentially be a bottleneck, reducing the speed compared to no VPN. Of course, WG is much faster than OpenVPN for most router hardware, but if you don't have a fast internet connection and/or you have a low speed VPN option, it may not make much difference (it all depends on your router's CPU).

1 Like

Hey thanks for the fast response!

By change IP's, do you mean change VPN endpoints/servers? That would depend on your VPN service provider, but presumably yes. There's no issue setting up multiple interfaces for WG, so you just activate one at a time.

Great! I thought there might be some limitations on how many can be set up.

No, not sure where you'd have seen this advertised or claimed, unless you're talking about vs OpenVPN. The maximum speed you can get is more-or-less the same as the internet connection you have to your router (with caveats). Your router, depending on the CPU capabilities, will potentially be a bottleneck, reducing the speed compared to no VPN. Of course, WG is much faster than OpenVPN for most router hardware, but if you don't have a fast internet connection and/or you have a low speed VPN option, it may not make much difference (it all depends on your router's CPU).

Sorry for not explaining well, yes I was refering to it against openvpn, I asked this because I tested it little yesterday and could not appreciate an increase on speed (my connection is 10MB/s so not a speed god here compared to other countries) but now that you say this I will give it a try again and see if my perception was wrong or there was some issue in my setup.

Thanks!

For most hardware, OpenVPN should run just fine at this speed. So you probably won't notice a difference between OpenVPN and Wireguard. But I'd recommend WG because it is easier to setup, and it is less taxing on the CPU.

1 Like

I created 2 interfaces for different connections using WireGuard and binded them to the WAN interface so all devices in my home uses vpn by default.

Thing is everytime I want to switch connections I need to restart the WAN interface too, otherwise the selected WG interface won't work... (I make sure the other WG interface is down while doing this)
Am I doing something wrong here? is there any way to do that automatically?

(if you need me to make a new thread for this, just tell me)

PS: it really is much faster, maybe yesterday I grabbed a server with high traffic, but today it flies!.

When you start the WG interface, it will overwrite the default routing table. When it is disabled, the previous route is not restored (this is normal and expected behavior).

Add a metric to the wan interface and it should ensure that the route on wan remains after WG goes down.

1 Like

Sorry, I'm too noob... how can I do that? can you point me to a tutorial or something?

I'm a simple windows pawn by the way, not into ip tables and all that =( but willing to learn

If you're using the LuCI web interface:
Network > Interfaces > wan [click edit] > Advanced Settings > Use Gateway Metric (a value of 1 should do the trick)

1 Like

You're not a noob, you just don't know yet how to do.
A real noob wouldn't even know that Wireguard exists :rofl:

You are really a guru! thanks that solved everything!

@badulesia Thanks!!

Everything sorted out, I just have to configure the interfaces now, thanks for your time and kind help! :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.