Will adblock work on OpenWrt repeater

I cannot find an option for uclient-fetch. I do see a box which offers "Force Local DNS"

I think you might just be looking in the wrong area, scroll up a bit and look in the dropdown menu for Download Utility.

1 Like

On the top I have Status, System Services, Network, Logout

When I open Services, Adblock I have only 3 tabs which say
Overview, View logfile, Advanced

There are no other drop-down boxes that I see.

root@GL-AR300M:~# opkg list-installed | grep -E "^luci|^adblock"
adblock - 2.6.2-1
luci - git-17.290.79498-d3f0685-1
luci-app-adblock - git-17.290.79498-d3f0685-1
luci-app-dns-forwarder - 1.6.1-1
luci-app-firewall - git-17.290.79498-d3f0685-1
luci-app-mwan3 - 1.4-5
luci-app-qos - git-17.290.79498-d3f0685-1
luci-app-samba - git-17.290.79498-d3f0685-1
luci-app-shadowsocks - 1.8.2-1
luci-app-upnp - git-17.290.79498-d3f0685-1
luci-base - git-17.290.79498-d3f0685-1
luci-lib-ip - git-17.290.79498-d3f0685-1
luci-lib-json - git-17.290.79498-d3f0685-1
luci-lib-jsonc - git-17.290.79498-d3f0685-1
luci-lib-nixio - git-17.290.79498-d3f0685-1
luci-mod-admin-full - git-17.290.79498-d3f0685-1
luci-mod-rpc - git-17.290.79498-d3f0685-1
luci-proto-3g - git-17.290.79498-d3f0685-1
luci-proto-ipv6 - git-17.290.79498-d3f0685-1
luci-proto-ppp - git-17.290.79498-d3f0685-1
luci-theme-bootstrap - git-17.290.79498-d3f0685-1
root@GL-AR300M:~#
root@GL-AR300M:~# ubus call system board
{
        "kernel": "4.4.92",
        "hostname": "GL-AR300M",
        "system": "Qualcomm Atheros QCA9533 ver 2 rev 0",
        "model": "GL-AR300M",
        "board_name": "gl-ar300m",
        "release": {
                "distribution": "LEDE",
                "version": "17.01.4",
                "revision": "r3560-79f57e422d",
                "codename": "reboot",
                "target": "ar71xx\/nand",
                "description": "LEDE Reboot 17.01.4 r3560-79f57e422d"
        }
}

Provide results of /etc/init.d/adblock status

Now I rebooted for the third time and found that Adbloc did not save to be enabled. When I clicked it and saved again, now I do get the
I see now, there is no selection for the Download Utility (SSL Library) because now, the words "uclient - fetch" do exist here but it is the default option as there is no drop down box with any other slections.

plus I receive:

For SSL protected blocklist sources you need a suitable SSL library, e.g. 'libustream-ssl' or the wget 'built-in'.

This is why I noted:

Install all packages:

opkg update
opkg install adblock luci-app-adblock libustream-mbedtls libmbedtls

I ran each one of those individually and each one said they were up to date which would indicate they were already installed.

Now after I rebooted once again, under each topic under "Runtime Information" (Status, Adblock, etc) each line is followed by in blue type the letters "n/a".

Do you have an IP, DNS server and Gateway assigned to the interface (so it can download)?

Uninstalled first adblock, then luci-app-adblock and then I re-installed adblock and then luci-app-adblock. Now all the n/a entries have gone away but still the entry for "Download Utility (SSL library) has an entry field and not editable drop down box, the non-changeable entry listed says that the default option selected is "uclient - fetch (libustream-ssl)

1 Like

It should look like this.

Screenshot%20from%202018-09-04%2017-42-57

Feel free to screenshot if needed.

requires libustream-mbedtls to be installed (or libustream-openssl or libustream-wolfssl).

1 Like

The Internet source for this router is a Alfa USB device which is configured as client and then I did a SCAN of available networks, and then a JOIN of a known network and entered the Passcode. This is the supplied source of Internet, the client side of the router. The OPKG commands work great in this environment. I haven't tried a WGET of anything, however.

Everything is going through this router with the client pulling in the local wifi and re-transmitting it to my laptop. I can do everything, watch movies, all on the laptop going through this OpenWRT configured as repeater.

1 Like
root@GL-AR300M:~# /etc/init.d/adblock status
::: adblock runtime information
 status          : active
 adblock_version : 2.6.2
 blocked_domains : 4063
 fetch_info      : uclient-fetch (libustream-ssl)
 dns_backend     : dnsmasq
 last_rundate    : 04.09.2018 16:34:25
 system          : LEDE Reboot 17.01.4 r3560-79f57e422d
1 Like

:smile:

It appears to be running. Visit: https://ads-blocker.com/testing/

Call me a real dummy but going to the ads-blocker.com/testing website - is the photo with the NO circled and No more ads banner considered an indication that ads are being blocked or that ads are NOT being blocked? Thank you. Not sure what I am supposed to see either way.

One more question, is there any setting on adblock to stop CNN and other websites from automatically streaming videos that I will not watch due to both time and metered service charges? I am always do all my work on a laptop even though I am using a cell signal via a USB cell modem attached to an OpenWRT router, and doing so more that half the time I am online. The videos of online news sources that I never watch (I don't need talking heads to read me the print I can see below the TV simulator) Apparently some smart phone apps know not to stream everything they produce that day but the news providers must think if you are using a larger screen that you must be on an unlimited data plan and want every video they produce automatically streamed to your temporary storage.

Otherwise, is there more info on which lists to check and why so many are available and not checked by default.

A very quick look suggests that CNN is streaming the videos from the same hosts as the written article, which would make router/ DNS based block lists unusable. You will need some client/ browser side intervention to prevent autoplaying videos there.

No, that image is not an indication. The instructions state what you should see (or not see):

Ads blocker test

1. Do you see advertisements on the left side of this website?
  2. Do you see ads under this article?
  3. Do you see advertisement in general on this page/website?
  4. No? Congratulations the ads blocker test was successful and you’re ads free! If the answer is yes follow the next step on how to clear those annoying ads!
  5. Do you see ads when you play a video on YouTube?
  6. Yes? Then the ads blocker isn’t worker properly and you should choose your web-browser in step 7 and follow the steps on the page. No? Proceed to step 8 you’re almost ad free!
  7. What web-browser do you use? Choose please: Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari or Opera.
  8. One last test awaits here; can you spot the subliminal messaging?
  9. SHORT NOTE: you can find any downloadable ad blocker for free on our website

If AdBlock is working, clients using your OpenWrt as a DNS server should not be able to resolve web sites or images from domain names being blocked. That simple.

Yes, you add the domains used by CNN to stream content - to the Blacklist.

If you wish to test AdBlock on a domain you know for certain, you can add a domain to the Blacklist, then restart AdBlock and your client's DNS cache. The domain should now be blocked.

If the domain used to stream is CNN[DOT]com, you cannot block streaming without blocking the main site (but from my experience, it's a variant of turner[dot]com).

Latest adblock version in 17.01 is release 3.4.3 ... please update your packages and go from there.