Wifi File Transfer Speed is Slow

Good day everyone,
I would like to ask about the file transfer speed using Wifi. It is slower than what I'm expected.
It was recorded about 10MB/s or not greater than 14 MB/s.
I used FTP for transferring a file about 5GB from my laptop to my Samsung phone Galaxy Note 10.
My router is D-Link DIR-842 C1.
I connected to 5Hz for both Laptop and phone. Here is what showing on my router.

And here is what I have recorded when doing transferring file through wifi using FTP.

FTP invokes many more parameters in the equation, like HDD read speed, flash writing speed.
Moreover transferring between 2 wireless hosts, the speed will be halved, as the laptop needs to send a frame to the access point and then the access point to send it to the phone.
If you want to measure the WiFi throughput connect only one device on the WiFi and run an iperf with a host connected on the wired lan.

2 Likes

Thank you Trendy,
I would like to ask for the command to test using iperf regarding this case. I already installed iperf, but I'm still finding how to use it. Can you please help me!

There are some iperf applications in Play Store.
Run a server on the phone and on the PC run iperf -c IP_OF_SAMSUNG -P 10 -i 10 -t 60

1 Like

85.6 Mbps is slow?

10.7 MB/s == 85.6 Mbps

2 Likes

Hi lleachii. Would it be a higher one? Or with 10MB/s is an usual?

???

I don't understand your questions.

:confused:

85.6 * 2 == 171.2

That's fast (in my opinion), what speed are you seeking?

14 MB/s == 112 Mbps

112 * 2 == 224

I'm sorry for my bad at English. I mean, is the speed of 10MB/s accepted for the AC wifi network.

That's fast (in my opinion), what speed are you seeking?
With the stock firmware, the speed was about 20 to 25 MB/s. But the slow speed is occured when I'm in Openwrt firmware.

"Acceptable"?

Yes, 80 Mbps (or 10 MB/s), or 160 Mbps does seems like a good speed in a real use situation (not knowing any other factors on the channel).

A slight change due to Kernel upgrade (and the new overhead) could be expected. But I would test with one device on wired. Also 320-600 Mbps (or 20-25 MB/s x 2) seems theoretically impossible:

• 20 * 8 == 160
  • 160 * 2 == 320
  • 25 * 8 = 300
  • 300 * 2 = 600

600 > 390

(this doesn't count overhead on e.g. the RF)

1 Like

(this doesn't count overhead on e.g. the RF)I do not understand why there are two stages of information for each connected wifi client like this

Because you cropped it:

Screenshot from 2020-04-23 12-43-33

1 Like
  • 20 * 8 Convert to Mbps/s
    but what's about 160 * 2 ?

Again, as @trendy noted :

1 Like

Does it mean my wifi network only 433.3 Mbps/s as it's seen in the picture?
Or 433.3 + 325 = 758 Mbps/s.

I see. Thank you so much for your spending times to help. :smiley:

1 Like

:man_facepalming:

No, it does not mean that.

Again, recall:

Those factors change (e.g. another Access Point on the same channel).

Easy answer: it's exactly what it says - the TX and TX rate calculated from these factors.

2 Likes

I'm so sorry lleachii :smile:
This is my first time to know about networking. I think, I should learn basic things on the internet first before asking. :smiley:

Who knew?!

Disclaimer: I do realise I sound as annoying as a compiler right now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.