WiFi drops for all devices several times per day

I have installed OpenWrt on a Cyberoam CR25WiNG and is it working fairly well. However, several times per day the WiFi will simply drop. All devices lose connectivity and the SSID simply doesn't show any more (phones revert back to 4G, laptops are left without any internet connection). It wouldn't be such a big deal if it weren't causing me to drop out of work calls. The WiFi returns about 15 seconds later. How can I go about troubleshooting this? Will there be some sort of log somewhere that I can take a look at when it happens?

what does dmesg say about it ?

I could imagine it being a power or heat issue.

1 Like

Sorry for the delay. Had to wait for a time where I was on the computer and it dropped so I could run dmesg in a timely fashion.

dmesg just contains this set of logs over and over and over (Presumably one set each time it blows up):

[1250623.982938] e1000e 0000:04:00.0 eth3: NIC Link is Up 100 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: Rx/Tx
[1250623.991959] e1000e 0000:04:00.0 eth3: 10/100 speed: disabling TSO
[1250623.998853] br-lan: port 3(eth3) entered blocking state
[1250624.004354] br-lan: port 3(eth3) entered forwarding state
[1251328.017736] e1000e 0000:04:00.0 eth3: NIC Link is Down
[1251328.023288] br-lan: port 3(eth3) entered disabled state

eth3 isn't a wireless interface though ... ?

are you sure it's the wifi that drops, not a wired connection, making it
look like it's the radio going down ?

1 Like

That struck me as strange too. But it is definately the wireless going down. Most of my devices are connected via WiFi only (laptops, phones) and they all report no wireless network at the exact same time and the SSID cannot be seen by any device during these outages.

are you using the radio that came with the CR25WiNG ?

1 Like

oooohhh, no I am not. Good point. I am using an external access point because the internal Wifi was atrocious. I'm using a Nova MW6. I had been using that access point for years on my previous router and never had any trouble. I guess eth3 is the connection between the cyberoam and the nova.

in that case, are you sure the Nova isn't rebooting itself ?
the eth3 message in the CR25s system log would indicate it.

the CRs wifi should work fine (didn't test it though).
it'd be slow, but fully functional.

1 Like

Not sure at all, no. The Nova is so locked-down that there is little I can do to prove it either way i.e. no logs. There aren't realy any meaningful status lights on the Nova either so show what it is doing :frowning:

I had the Nova connected to my old router and this didn't happen and given the only change is the router, then it logically points to the CR being the problem (or a compatability issues between these 2 specific devices).

The CR WiFi was really really bad. Very slow and the range was awful. I'd get constant drop-outs and about half of my devices refused to connect at all. The ones that did connect reported very weak signal strength even if only a couple of metres away from the CR with nothing in the way. I tried multiple antennas to limit the change of it being an antenna issue.

Any ideas for how I can investigate the issue between the CR and Nova further?

things do break, even if it's not very likely.

there's not much you can do, since it's a black box.
I don't find it very likely the CR would be causing reboots of an external device,
but you can always move the Nova to another LAN port on the CR.

1 Like

Good idea. I'll give that a go. Not much else I can really do, like you said.

set a static address at the ap. and make sure dhcp is disabled on ap. looks like an ip conflict.

or too short DHCP renewal time

Sorry for the delay in my response.

I have tried all suggestions in this thread: I've moved the AP over to a different port, I've given it a static IP, and I've given it an indefinite DHCP lease time. It unfortunately hasn't made a difference, any other ideas?

Remove the Nova from the equation..

That's a shame. If I have to buy a new AP or use the internal CR WiFi, I'd probably just be better off foregoing OpenWRT and reverting back to my ISP's router.

If the Nova is the source of the problem, it should keep happening, even with the ISPs router, but it's a good way to find out if it's a Nova issue, or not.