Wifi connection delay because of "wrong address"?

Hello,

I am experiencing a minor issue, but still it will be nice if it can be taken care of.... When I try to get on wifi, my network status shows right away Wi-Fi is connected to xxxxxx and has the IP address 192.168.10.205. But it disappears immediately, my wifi-symbol starts to "shrink and grow", after several seconds, it finally connects again. And I think it's because it doesn't go through right away. But I don't understand what's "wrong" about the address, if it's going to be given again later anyway.

Mon Jun  6 14:10:06 2022 daemon.info dnsmasq-dhcp[23588]: DHCPREQUEST(br-16) 192.168.10.205 20:c9:d0:ca:xxxx
Mon Jun  6 14:10:06 2022 daemon.info dnsmasq-dhcp[23588]: DHCPNAK(br-16) 192.168.10.205 20:c9:d0:ca:xx wrong address
Mon Jun  6 14:10:09 2022 daemon.info dnsmasq-dhcp[23588]: DHCPDISCOVER(br-16) 20:c9:d0:ca:xx
Mon Jun  6 14:10:09 2022 daemon.info dnsmasq-dhcp[23588]: DHCPOFFER(br-16) 192.168.10.205 20:c9:d0:ca:xx
Mon Jun  6 14:10:09 2022 daemon.info dnsmasq-dhcp[23588]: DHCPDISCOVER(br-16) 20:c9:d0:caxx
Mon Jun  6 14:10:09 2022 daemon.info dnsmasq-dhcp[23588]: DHCPOFFER(br-16) 192.168.10.205 20:c9:d0:ca:7bxx
Mon Jun  6 14:10:10 2022 daemon.info dnsmasq-dhcp[23588]: DHCPREQUEST(br-16) 192.168.10.205 20:c9:d0:ca:xxx
Mon Jun  6 14:10:10 2022 daemon.info dnsmasq-dhcp[23588]: DHCPACK(br-16) 192.168.10.205 20:c9:d0:ca:xx albertus
Mon Jun  6 14:10:57 2022 authpriv.info dropbear[26191]: Child connection from 192.168.10.205:59236

This is not happening to the other clients as long as I see on the log, so it might have something to do with the fact that I connect my laptop on different SSIDs for testing purpose: regular users are just on one net. Is 192.168.10.205 considered "wrong" perhaps because the last address my laptop had was may be something else ? (like 192.168.12.205?)

I would appreciate if someone could explain that to me.

As far as I can tell by visiting some of your past issues, you seem to the in the position of administering the Information Technology of your organization.

As far as I can tell by reading your description here, you are constantly testing for issues, and in this case one that has not been reported by your end users.

As far as I can tell this occurrence is a non issue, or expected behavior of one in the position of administering a small organization, changing your client PC's IP address often, and your Client PC is just adjusting the ipconfig as you switch.

One in your position could easily "Suppress logging". Close a few tickets opened by yourself and your user base. Regards!

1 Like

Is this a mobile device that changes its MAC on each connection to the SSID?

@Bill and @lleachii
Thank you for your replies ! I wasn't clear in my posting, this "client" is my own laptop, macbook Pro mid 2012. I meant that this seems to be happening just to me, and not to the other users. And my laptop doesn't change MAC. From what @Bill says, this is indeed the result of the fact that I am on different subnets for testing purpose, so that I can safely assume that it's not going to happen to normal clients, then. Is that right?

@Bill I'm not sure if I understood you very well, I don't change other people's IP address.... I have a 5 day old wifi system and I am looking at the log carefully, because for the first few days, some APs were not forwarding DHCP traffic. I hope I got them right by now....
I will go look at my old posting and close them. Sorry;;

We understood this. You clearly state this.

• Correct
  • YOU stated no other users were affected.
  • ....understood....past tense.....

OK...I had to do a little research to remember...

A DHCPNAK is a negative acknowledgment from the DHCP server. It usually proceeds in a REQUEST, which your device did.

See RFCs: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc2132#section-9.9

(FYI, the manual to the Internet is free - just read the RFCs.)

Wow.

@doremifajb - I think it's kinda rude to be a professional seeking this for paid work...unless...

"Closed mouths don't get fed."

I just think you're playing with things...you could also have set a static DHCP entry and connected to a different network as you acknowledged to @Bill - and then yes, that would be the wrong IP...but I wouldn't do something silly like that (I did it by accident once)...and I assume you didn't purposely do it then query us...so I donno.

@lleachii

Thank you for your reply!

Wow, I totally overlooked "N". I didn't even know that DHCP"N"AK existed ! Thanks for the link !

I'm still a noob, a bit over a year ago I didn't even know that switches and routers are different, and then I learned what 255.255.255.0 is and so on. What I have is just a bit beyond "home". I'm not paid, it's a family thing, so to say. I never thought that someone would take me as a paid IT by looking at my ignorant questions....

The real problem was, I have APs on trunk with vlan 11, 15, 16, but I realized that when I'm on SSID for vlan11 at some APs, I wasn't getting IP address. That's why I was switching around (get on 16, change the config, and back to 11 and check etc.) But it was clear to me that it's not an issue of OpenWRT but of EAP (TP-LInk Omada AP), so I didn't explain here in detail. It's still a new setting and I'm trying to make sure that everything is OK before more users come. So far just a few are there. I noticed that something must be wrong because of lack of traffic activities despite these "a few" being present: everybody uses internet.

Anyway, that's why I had to "play around", and got scared of anything that looked strange. I'm also interested in learning more.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.