WiFi 6 supported devices: TP-Link or Zyxel

Hello
I am thinking of replacing my old, non-OpenWrt compatible wifi AP and I want to use an OpenWrt enabled one. For this reason, I was searching for all AP that available in my country and support OpenWrt and are WiFi-6 capable.

What I found is these two models:

1. TP-Link EAP615-Wall
  2. ZyXEL NWA50AX

The TP-Link seems to be better supported, but it's powered only through PoE which is a problem for me. The ZyXEL was even mentioned to an older post, seems to work but no real information if/what is supported.

So I am a bit confused, since I'm quite new to OpenWrt. Of course, if you have more suggestions, please do so.

My real need is actually VLANs, since I want to separate the IoT devices from the rest of my personal items (phone, laptop etc).

Any hints welcome!

1 Like

would be what's known about rhe NWA50AX, based on the hardware I can't really imagine what wouldn't be supported - seems to be pretty bog standard mt8721a+mt7915 (for both, actually). mediatek designs are usually rather uniform in nature, which means they're relatively easy to support - without too many pitfalls, at worst some LEDs won't necessarily do what they say or some MAC addresses might be switched.

Thank you for the suggestion!

Please @blocktrron is your commits pushed to master yet? Is a binary release for this device? And if I buy it, can I help somehow? Or should I check @foxt 's version?

At any case thank you for your suggestions and mostly for your work!

Images are available with the latest 22.03 release:

https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/22.03.2/targets/ramips/mt7621/

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.