Which device for mesh functionality?

Hi,

i spent some frustrating days trying to get mesh networking running on WRT1200AC devices. But it looks like the Marvell driver just doesn‘t support it.

Now I am searching for another device which can handle it well, has 5GHz and 2.4 GHz, one or more Gigabit ports. I do not intend to run many other services like adblock or openVPN, so the CPU should be able to handle the traffic but doesn‘t need to be a monster. My internet connection is 400MBit, maybe more in the future and I also want some performance when it comes to wireless performance (backups etc).

It‘s for home use, so budget is relevant (I need to buy 3 or 4).

Please let me know if I should consider further requirements or should give more information.

Thanks in advance!
Andre

1 Like

What is the maximum you are willing to spend per device?

Well, I‘d spent what‘s neccesary :slight_smile:
Ideally around 50 EUR per box, but more or less... depends. I‘m really open to all suggestions, the missing mesh is bugging me big.

thanks!

you could look at for example

used Cisco Meraki MR24 on Ebay at around $20 each

1 Like

Hm, I cannot even find it in the hardware database of openwrt, nothing named like mr24.
And, I wouldn‘t want to run anything anything with original Cisco firmware, based on the regular findings of backdoors and vulnerabilities of this brand - but that‘s another topic and a reason I am looking at openWRT.

Thanks anyway of course!

There it is:

2 Likes

Thanks, I didn’t find it because was searching for Cisco.

2 Likes

Are there also other recommendations? Looks like I can‘t get my hands on a cheap MR24 in Europe.

How about these devices:

They should fit your use case fine. The cheapest one is the RE355 (~30€).

1 Like

Im running mesh on the Netgear EX6150v2 and EX6100v2 also

2 Likes

Im based in South Africa, used a US forwarding service to get the Cisco Meraki MR24's

has anyone tested the Netgear R6220 successfully for mesh functionality?

I have a similar Mediatek 7621 device

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/CC%26C_WA9555

but my radios (3000 Mbps) are only supported by the Open Source MT76 driver

which is configured differently and thus could not get mesh functionality on mine

1 Like

Thanks, I almost bought them.

Looking through the different threads it looks like devices with the Qualcomm Atheros QCA9563/ Qualcomm Atheros QCA9880 chipsets should be working fine with mesh, is this assumption correct?

Then what about the Archer C7 - would this work?

Thanks again

Qualcom/Atheros are known to support mesh functionality and is always a good choice

Check out Libremesh web bulder

Choose Libremesh firmware and put in the name of the router

If it show up in the list it should be good

https://chef.libremesh.org/

Broadcom wifi chips im not so sure about as those I have tried did not mesh

1 Like