Where is the ath79 build for wndr3800ch?

If it really identical to wndr3800 except title and board_id, I can build an image.

1 Like

Another dts file is needed and script adjustment.

1 Like

The factory HWID is only going to matter for flashing off of factory. Once OpenWrt is installed it won't check that factory ID. Note that in the ar71xx builds, the sha256 is identical for the sysupgrade WNDR3800CH or the non CH.

As a workaround for an end user, you could first install a "factory" CH ar71xx, then treat it as a regular 3700V2 / 3800 from then on and force sysupgrade to convert over to ath79.

2 Likes

But if OP is ready to test at their own risk, anyone can build an image.

You can just use the Non-CH version. Tested.

2 Likes

So who want's to send a patch? It is straight forward then.

So given I am already on one of the ar71xx snapshots (from https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/ar71xx/generic/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-wndr3800ch-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin), I could just do a straight

wget https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/ath79/generic/openwrt-ath79-generic-netgear_wndr3800-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

then

sysupgrade /tmp/netgear_wndr3800-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

?

I made a patch. I'll send it when compile tested.

Yes (10 char fix)

I compiled the image and sent a patch to the mailing list. If you need the binary, let me know.

1 Like

Great, thanks everyone.

I will wait for it to make it to the official ath79 snapshot repo.

It could be months for that. Literally.

Personally, I’d back up my config to my desktop and use the non-CH image.

I don't think so. This is a trivial patch. It can be merged to master very soon.
But it is important for new users not to be confused.

If you're already running OpenWrt and want to upgrade, there is no need to wait. The sysupgrade binary will be identical. Creating a CH version will only affect the factory binary.

2 Likes

MODEL will be different, but that doesn't matter.

But before it is merged it is better to test flashing from factory to Openwrt.

FYI, the current ath79 wndr3800 snapshot returns this on wndr3800ch:

sysupgrade -v /tmp/openwrt-ath79-generic-netgear_wndr3800-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
Device wndr3700 not supported by this image
Supported devices: netgear,wndr3800 wndr3800
Image check 'fwtool_check_image' failed.

Is it advisable to use the -F option, as suggested in this previous thread? Porting guide ar71xx to ath79?

Yes you have to use -F to go from ar71xx to ath79. -n is also advisable to make the firstboot scripts rebuild the default config files, as some things related to wifi and possibly other systems will be different. sysupgrade -n of course erases your configuration.

1 Like

Would I be able to restore from backed-up ar71xx config, after using -n?

Mostly. Watch out for the wifi "path" being different, and the switch config could be a different format as well. Be prepared to not have wifi access after flashing.

A backed up config is just a tar file of the config files, so you can examine them offline.

1 Like