Where is the ath79 build for wndr3800ch?

It shouldn't be difficult to add this to the daily build, given there's already netgear_wndr3800-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin, should it?

Likely not too difficult if you have the device to test.

Feel free to author, build and test the necessary changes, and then do Pull request to get your code accepted to the main OpenWrt sources.

4 Likes

From ar71xx:

define Device/wndr3800
  $(Device/wndr3700v2)
  DEVICE_TITLE := NETGEAR WNDR3800
  NETGEAR_BOARD_ID := WNDR3800
  NETGEAR_HW_ID := 29763654+16+128
endef
TARGET_DEVICES += wndr3800

define Device/wndr3800ch
  $(Device/wndr3800)
  DEVICE_TITLE := NETGEAR WNDR3800 (Ch)
  NETGEAR_BOARD_ID := WNDR3800CH
endef
TARGET_DEVICES += wndr3800ch

Edit: @Pilot6 -- plus a couple changes in the on-device scripts to pick up the different board name

Self-build is over my head, hence the post.

How/where do I submit the request to get WNDR3800CH support added to the ath79 builds?

There is no such place. Either you do it yourself, or wait till someone does it.

2 Likes

If it really identical to wndr3800 except title and board_id, I can build an image.

1 Like

Another dts file is needed and script adjustment.

1 Like

The factory HWID is only going to matter for flashing off of factory. Once OpenWrt is installed it won't check that factory ID. Note that in the ar71xx builds, the sha256 is identical for the sysupgrade WNDR3800CH or the non CH.

As a workaround for an end user, you could first install a "factory" CH ar71xx, then treat it as a regular 3700V2 / 3800 from then on and force sysupgrade to convert over to ath79.

2 Likes

But if OP is ready to test at their own risk, anyone can build an image.

You can just use the Non-CH version. Tested.

2 Likes

So who want's to send a patch? It is straight forward then.

So given I am already on one of the ar71xx snapshots (from https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/ar71xx/generic/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-wndr3800ch-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin), I could just do a straight

wget https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/ath79/generic/openwrt-ath79-generic-netgear_wndr3800-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

then

sysupgrade /tmp/netgear_wndr3800-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

?

I made a patch. I'll send it when compile tested.

Yes (10 char fix)

I compiled the image and sent a patch to the mailing list. If you need the binary, let me know.

1 Like

Great, thanks everyone.

I will wait for it to make it to the official ath79 snapshot repo.

It could be months for that. Literally.

Personally, Iā€™d back up my config to my desktop and use the non-CH image.

I don't think so. This is a trivial patch. It can be merged to master very soon.
But it is important for new users not to be confused.

If you're already running OpenWrt and want to upgrade, there is no need to wait. The sysupgrade binary will be identical. Creating a CH version will only affect the factory binary.

2 Likes

MODEL will be different, but that doesn't matter.