When comes the next stable release 19.x

when comes the next stable release 19.x and when ends the deadline for pull request to add devices ?

Check the ML

1 Like

My guess is that it'll be delayed to fix known bugs or at least somewhat....

It's ready when it's done!

2 Likes

April is a very aggressive target.

BTW it will have wpa3 support?

If master doesn’t have a feature, it’s unlikely that an imminent release will.

WPA3, in particular, is dependent on hostap support, not to mention client support.

1 Like

I thought it is already in master?

http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/cover/979802/

WPA3 support has been available in master for a few months now, just luci doesn't know about it yet (which means you can only configure it manually by editing /etc/config/wireless).

2 Likes

Thanks

Who's responsible for the luci part?

Maybe you? This is a community effort.

Ps. there is a PR at least for some part of the needed functionality. You can also test that.

3 Likes

Yes Thx a lot!

19.03 will be branched next week. Hopefully it will be released end of March - beginning of April.

2 Likes

19.03 looks to be a more minor release, but cool everything is streamlined and only kernel 4.14 though. Here's to hoping it's a solid release on the mvebu target (using the WRT32X).

Now that Linux kernel 5.0 is out will everything move to that for the release after? :slight_smile:

I hope not! The next Linux LTS kernel is 4.19, from what I understand. I don't see any 5.0 Linux being touted as LTS.

1 Like

Some 5.x will be an LTS for sure. But the people always think that 5.0 is a more major release that 4.19 :wink:

3 Likes

No doubt, but I try to avoid .0.0 of anything for critical infrastructure.

3 Likes

With kernel that .0 doesn't mean anything. I is simple an ordinary next release.

2 Likes

Linus Torvalds says in https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/3/3/236

But I'd like to point out (yet again) that we don't do feature-based releases, and that "5.0" doesn't mean anything more than that the 4.x numbers started getting big enough that I ran out of fingers and toes.

3 Likes

I guess when "normal stable kernel releases contain 10-15 patches per day" there's not much point in demarking points of significant change.

There is completely no difference with 4.18 to 4.19 path and 4.19 to 5.0 path.

1 Like