What purpose does this capacitor cover serve?

I have a Xiaomi Router 4A Gigabit, and after about a year of use, I realized something inside was shaking when I moved the device around.

This is the piece that fell off and broke in two.

This is where I guess it was.

This is the router.

What's this thing? Would the router still work as expected without it? If not, how can I attach it back in place?

Isn't it only the cover of the capacitor?

4 Likes

It could be, I don't know what a capacitor is. What should I do?

You could try to glue it back.

This is a filter electrolytic capacitor (470 microfarad 10 volt) and it can cause all sorts of weird problems.
Better buy/find a new one and replace it.
If you are not good with the soldering iron, ask a friend to do it for you.

10 Likes

What @pavelgl said, it's not rocket science.

Or try to return it, and get a new unit.

2 Likes

Thanks! Isn't it only the cover that's damaged? Could the cover really cause all those issues? I can even slide it back on the capacitor. I also have no clue what could've caused this, as I don't see any burn marks. If a generic cover would work, I think I can just get a new one and slide it on.

What issues? Is there another thread?

Shrink tube could work.

It couldn't just be the cover. It may be doing some work for now, but its parameters have certainly changed and sooner or later it will fail completely.

3 Likes

I was talking about the "weird problems" pavelgi mentioned.

Okay, I'll look for a suitable capacitor. Again, thank you so much.

1 Like

The router may freeze. You may have to turn the power off/on a few times until it starts, then it could freezes again after a while...

Have you experienced any of them?

Those were possible failures, not necessarily happening.

The capacitor looks damaged to me.

2 Likes

Yikes! That's a typical cheap electroytic capacitor that has failed totally, then got so hot it has built up enough internal pressure to blow the cover off entirely. It will have gone off with a loud bang, a flash and a lot of acrid burnt-plastic smelling smoke consisting of burning electrolyte.
The electrolyte is also corrosive and will have splashed all over the circuit board potentially causing all sorts of damage.
With careful cleaning and replacing the capacitor you might be lucky and save the device but most likely the other electrolytics on the board will also be of the cheap and nasty variety and will in turn explode.
Unless you know what you are doing it will be better to get a new router rather than waste your time. Sorry.

PS. The one on the top right of the photo looks like it has a hole in it with electrolyte leaking and corroding the can under the green plastic coating.

5 Likes

Woah, I had imagined it was a much minor issue, thank you for your detailed response. I think I can still get a new one for free if its warranty isn't void due to me opening up the back panel. Though, I'm hesitant to do that because it says the new version with the exact same model name/number they're shipping nowadays aren't compatible with OpenWrt in the wiki, so the device could end up all but useless. I'll try changing the capacitor and cleaning it up a bit.

Is this the one you're talking about? I can't quite tell if it's actually a leak, it kind of looks like they got some paint on its cover.

I haven't experienced any problems.

If it is under the plastic it is a leak. If it is on the surface it is most likely electrolyte from the exploded capacitor. Could be paint but it looks like a leak.

The exploded one is close to the wifi area of the board so is probably for the wifi power supply. If you don't push the wifi hard you might not notice problems - most likely dropouts when transmitting .... Can't tell by looking at photos.

1 Like

That type of capacitor contains a small amount of a water-based fluid which is necessary for operation. If the cover cracks or comes off entirely, the working parts dry out and stop working.

So as it is, the capacitor is useless and you should just cut it out and maybe replace it.

5 Likes

What are you talking about? It has already blown off the outercasing from the gasket and off the whole foil rollup, how much more “blow” are you expecting?...:joy:

The cap could for sure be a bad batch, or not likely but maybe 50years old and dried out.
But in most cases this damage to a electrolyt cap is always caused by a overvoltage moment sometime in its life, either overvoltage by design to control the lifetime in a capitalistic world or external overvoltage incident.

2 Likes