WDS-AP and AP mode at same time on same band?

Is it possible to have WDS-AP activated and running another network on the same band? What do I have to consider in terms of configuration? Do I have to enable WDS on both or just on that I want running WDS?

And is it possible to connect as a non-WDS client to a WDS-AP? I've tried to connect with like Android Phones to WDS configured AP but when it comes to renew leases they cannot reconnect properly. After rebooting the router everything is working again.

config looks like that atm:

wireless.@wifi-device[1].channel='6'
wireless.@wifi-device[1].country='DE'
wireless.@wifi-device[1].log_level='3'
wireless.@wifi-device[1].hwmode='11g'
wireless.@wifi-device[1].htmode='HT20'
wireless.@wifi-device[1].legacy_rates='0'
wireless.@wifi-device[1].txpower='20'

wireless.@wifi-iface[1].mode='ap'
wireless.@wifi-iface[1].ssid='WLANWDS'
wireless.@wifi-iface[1].network='lan'
wireless.@wifi-iface[1].encryption='psk2+ccmp'
wireless.@wifi-iface[1].key=''
wireless.@wifi-iface[1].wpa_disable_eapol_key_retries='1'
wireless.@wifi-iface[1].isolate='1'
wireless.@wifi-iface[1].wds='1'

wireless.zguest0='wifi-iface'
wireless.zguest0.device='radio1'
wireless.zguest0.mode='ap'
wireless.zguest0.ssid='WLAN-NONWDS'
wireless.zguest0.network='br-zguest0 zguest0'
wireless.zguest0.encryption='psk2+ccmp'
wireless.zguest0.key=''
wireless.zguest0.wpa_disable_eapol_key_retries='1'
wireless.zguest0.isolate='1'

in general you should only enable wds on main ssid , you dont need have two separate ssid. normal client will connect , and wds station will connect too.

1 Like

Yes with most chipsets you can have two APs on the same radio with different networks. WDS or not is set per AP. The network of a WDS AP must be a bridge.

Regular clients should connect normally to an AP running WDS. Try not setting disable_eapol_key_retries if there are problems with some clients.

1 Like

Is there a limit how many AP's I can run on a device and what is the limiting factor (chipset, SoC)? Where could I gather that information? The device using here is SoC: QCA9558 Wifi: QCA9558/QCA9880 (Sitecom WLR-8100)

Thx for this hint. I will try that.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.