Wake On Lan not working, but works with AnyDesk

Hello OpenWRT members.

I am having a problem getting WoL working from luci or SSH to work in OpenWRT.

WoL seems to be working (from LAN) using AnyDesk GUI ony my android device. I can simply power on my desktop that as AnyDesk installed without any problems. However, doing this through LuCI ( luci-app-wol package ) or SSH (JuiceSSH on android) is not possible. I have etherwake installed on OpenWRT. I type the following command but no power on.

OO:PP:QQ:RR:SS:TT is the mac address of the PC Ethernet interface

Command:
/usr/bin/etherwake -D -i 'eth1.2' "OO:PP:QQ:RR:SS:TT"

Response:

The target station address is OO:PP:QQ:RR:SS:TT.
Packet is  OO PP QQ RR SS TT OO PP QQ RR SS TT 08 42 ff ff ff ff ff ff OO PP QQ RR SS TT OO PP QQ RR SS TT OO PP QQ RR SS TT OO PP QQ RR SS TT OO PP QQ RR SS TT OO PP QQ RR SS TT OO PP QQ RR SS TT OO PP QQ RR SS TT OO PP QQ RR SS TT OO PP QQ RR SS TT OO PP QQ RR SS TT OO PP QQ RR SS TT OO PP QQ RR SS TT OO PP QQ RR SS TT OO PP QQ RR SS TT OO PP QQ RR SS TT
Sendto worked ! 116.

What could be the issue?
Thank you

Some thoughts:

• Is eth1.2 the correct interface? For example, on my GL.iNet GL-MT300N-V2, the LAN is eth0.1, and eth0.2 is the WAN. Every router is different; is eth1.2 definitely the right interface for your scenario?

• Is the target PC on the same subnet as OpenWRT? WoL packets are broadcasts and do not cross routers unless some sort of relay is employed.

• Is the MAC address correct? It's easy enough for an unexpected typo to creep in#.

• Does tcpdump on OpenWRT (optional package; can be installed through opkg) show the WoL packets leaving?

• Does Wireshark/tcpdump on the target PC show the WoL packets arriving? Obviously, the target PC would have to be powered-up to answer this query, but if the packets arrive when the PC is running, then they should also arrive when the PC is off.

• Is the PC's NIC configured for WoL? Could the WoL function have been disabled without realising? Could the PC be in a different power state due to how it was shut down?

1 Like

I just realized the interface was incorrect. Your post was ultimately quicker than figuring out the problem by myself xD.

Kudos to you!!

1 Like

You're welcome. Glad it's working!

1 Like

I know this is irrelvant to the post, but do you have any ideas or can you guide me to a tutorial to WoL my PC from WAN? (LuCI interface is not configured to be accessible through WAN though for security reasons). The OpenWRT is behind a TPLink Archer VR600 Gateway