VPN fail due to cryptodev load error

VPN doesn't seem to be working on my router. Box is a D-Link DIR-825, just upgraded to OpenWRT19.07.2.r10947-65030d81f3 from an antiquated version from 2011.

I've followed this guide.

The VPN panel in LuCI seems to be displaying as expected, but clicking Start has no noticeable effect.

In /tmp/openvpn.log I see the following:

OpenVPN 2.4.7 mips-openwrt-linux-gnu [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [LZ4] [EPOLL] [MH/PKTINFO] [AEAD]
library versions: OpenSSL 1.1.1f  31 Mar 2020, LZO 2.10
OpenSSL: error:25066067:DSO support routines:dlfcn_load:could not load the shared library
OpenSSL: error:25070067:DSO support routines:DSO_load:could not load the shared library
OpenSSL error: cannot load engine 'cryptodev'
Exiting due to fatal error

If I run /etc/init.d/openvpn restart, that log file gets overwritten with identical messages with updated timestamps.

logread -e openvpn shows a bunch of fairly normal-looking messages followed by

AUTH: Received control message: AUTH_FAILED
SIGTERM[soft, auth-failure] received, process exiting

However, the timestamp on those messages was before the earliest timestamp in /tmp/openvpn.log.

The only other potentially unusual thing I've noticed is that 4 packages are being held, with installed timestamps within the past few months: libc, libpthread, librt, and libgcc1. It's possible that I held these packages back before I upgraded; I have very little recollection of what state I left this system in. However, I don't really know what I'm doing so I'm wary of unholding them in case the new version has them held for some reason.

openssl engine -t -c -vv 
openssl engine -pre DUMP_INFO devcrypto

does /proc/crypto exist

No idea if the stable images turn things on by default.

Dear intuited,
Hello and I hope that you are safe and well. See here : https://openwrt.org/docs/techref/hardware/cryptographic.hardware.accelerators and in this section

Checking openssl support

Openssl supports hardware crypto acceleration through an engine. 
You may find out what engines are available, along with the enabled 
algorithms, and configuration commands by running openssl engine -t -c

I suspect that you do not have A Cryptographic Hardware Accelerator on your router - so you can eliminate cryptodev try dynamic instead - you you can verify engines available by running command -
openssl engine -t -c - hope this helps

Peace and Stay Safe

Just getting back to this now. I don't actually have an openssl command. I've installed both of the packages that show up in opkg list | grep openssl: these are libopenssl1.1 and openvpn-openssl. Neither of them, according to opkg files, are intended to provide this command. Also, find / -iname openssl doesn't bring up any results.

On the upside, I do have a /proc/crypto, for what it's worth.

openssl-util
libopenssl-conf - 1.1.1f-1
libopenssl1.1 - 1.1.1f-1
luci-app-openvpn - git-20.110.55046-74da73b
openssl-util - 1.1.1f-1
openvpn-openssl - 2.4.9-1
openwrt-keyring - 2019-07-25-8080ef34-1
wpad-openssl - 2019-08-08-ca8c2bd2-9