VLAN and 2CPUs (eth0, eth1)

I have a linksys EA3500, I flashed openwrt to it and config it as a dump router (no dhcp, disable all WAN, bridge all ports to LAN, even WAN port). It has 4 LANs and 1 WAN, but now it run as 5 LANs port switch. Plug WAN port into a main router and pass DHCP from main router to PC connect to LAN ports.

This is how it running at the moment.

Since my ISP have IPTV with VLAN 2502, I'm not really understand how to get it to run correctly. I want to use port 2 for IPTV, but It's not work as expect when I tagged CPU(eth0) and untagged LAN2. I'm not sure with the CPU (eth1). I don't know if VLAN will work with dump router or not.

There is no such thing as dump router. What you describing is in fact a switch.

You could tag eth0 or eth1 for VLAN 2502 (probably eth1 for load balance) and then if your TV is wired then you could just turn its LAN port off on VLAN 1 and set it to untagged for VLAN 2502.

Or maybe you could just leave all as in your picture and change the VLAN ID to 2502? I on't know if that could cause any issues, but it's an idea.

Additional reading:

2 Likes

You could tag eth0 or eth1 for VLAN 2502 (probably eth1 for load balance) and then if your TV is wired then you could just turn its LAN port off on VLAN 1 and set it to untagged for VLAN 2502 .

Wow, I didn't think about that earlier. I will try when I get home. I'm just afraid if I do this, my LAN will get loop or stuck with network overload streaming from iptv.

Oh, I'm sorry, wrong quote.

Your suggestion I tested before and it didn't work. And if I change VLAN to 2502 like you said, I will likely lost connection to router.

and WAN tagged on V2502 I would like to add, otherwise the switched EA3500 won't be able to connect to it.
But this also depends on how the router of the ISP is distributing the VLANs on its ports.

The ISP give me a GPON, and I configure it as bridge, but also the ISP is a jerk. They only allow me to do PPPOE over port 3 and 4. Port 1, 2 is for DHCP client. ATM, I configured PPPOE on port 3, IPTV on port 2. My main router is Mikrotik, it can do internet on VLAN35 and IPTV on VLAN2502 within port 3.

I saw someone can run IPTV and Internet on openwrt in my situation too, but the different is that it is the main router, not the switch like me.

As this config, it should works. But it didn't.

It sounds like TV data is not available on ports 1 and 2 then, or in other words the only port that can provide TV and Internet on the same cable is 3, and you need to use pppoe for the Internet.

You would need to plug in to modem port 3, and have its port on your router tagged in both VLANs. Bring VLAN 35 into the CPU and set up a pppoe client in your router for the Internet (that would be the WAN, the LAN is still VLAN 1 in the switch for your LAN devices). VLAN 2502 you would set 'tagged' in both the port to the modem and the one to the TV box, which would make the switch forward those packets entirely in its hardware. There is no need to attach 2502 to the CPU.

2 Likes

You would need to plug in to modem port 3, and have its port on your router tagged in both VLANs. Bring VLAN 35 into the CPU and set up a pppoe client in your router for the Internet (that would be the WAN, the LAN is still VLAN 1 in the switch for your LAN devices). VLAN 2502 you would set 'tagged' in both the port to the modem and the one to the TV box, which would make the switch forward those packets entirely in its hardware. There is no need to attach 2502 to the CPU.

Thank you, your suggestion just lighten my thinking. I check the GPON modem, and saw that I didn't passthrough VLAN2502 on the same bridge. Now I corrected that and in the dump ap, I tagged VLAN2502 for CPU and WAN port, then untagged LAN2. Now it is supposed to work this way.

1 Like

The problem is now when I check my Mikrotik, I see it handle bunch of streaming from IPTV and the heat reach 72C which is not a good sight. Fall back to original config and let the GPON handle streaming. Glad that I learn some lessons.

1 Like

If you don't send 2502 to the CPU, the CPU won't be bothered with any TV traffic. There's no need for the router CPU to see TV packets. VLAN 2502 should exist only in the switch to go from the GPON to the TV box directly.

1 Like

Thank you again, but in Mikrotik, all port is hardware-offload, and in the openwrt, if I don't tagged the CPU, it's not gonna works.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.