Verify @Vgaetera commands to disable ipv6

@vgaetera

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/how-to-disable-ipv6-on-the-router/84534

in the link above, gave some commands to disable ipv6 and I wanted to be sure before trying. I hope it will solve my problem further down. Here are the commands:

uci set 'network.lan.ipv6=0'
uci set 'network.wan.ipv6=0'
uci set 'dhcp.lan.dhcpv6=disabled'
/etc/init.d/odhcpd disable
uci commit

uci -q delete dhcp.lan.dhcpv6
uci -q delete dhcp.lan.ra
uci commit dhcp
/etc/init.d/odhcpd restart

uci set network.lan.delegate="0"
uci commit network
/etc/init.d/network restart

/etc/init.d/odhcpd disable
/etc/init.d/odhcpd stop

uci -q delete network.globals.ula_prefix
uci commit network
/etc/init.d/network restart

And my syslog has plenty of these and also from time to time I would loose connection. This may not be the problem, but I do not need ipv6. So, first, can someone please confirm those commands working on:
OpenWrt 22.03.2 r19803-9a599fee93 / LuCI openwrt-22.03 branch git-22.361.69894-438c598

A default route is present but there is no public prefix on lan thus we don't announce a default route!

@vgaetera :point_left: tagged him

Easy way around this is to Suppress warnings about missing GUA prefix

Based on a cursory look, it looks fine to me, but it if you want to see what they do, here’s a way to see what uci set and uci delete commands will affect your configs

• replace each uci set command with uci -q show and delete the =<value?> at EOL. ie. uci set 'network.lan.ipv6=0' to uci -q show ‘network.lan.ipv6’
  • replace each uci delete -q command to uci -q show

Within the context of the recipe provided, run each uci set and uci -q delete command on its own. This will indicate

• what values (if they exist in your configs), and what might be changed to your configs.
  • what entries (if they exist in your configs), and what might be deleted in your configs.

If you choose to follow the recipe, take a backup to restore if you’re not happy with the results.

1 Like

Disabling IPv6 nowadays should be your last resort, as it can do more harm than good.
If you don't have public prefix, consider using IPv6 masquerading.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.