VDSL2 modem/router and Ubiquiti router

Hello all!
I have a Zyxel VMG8825, that is my gateway for a VDSL2 internet connection, and it also have two voip ports; but other features are very poor, specially in firewall: every day his security log it has several kernel attacks, like port scan, syn flood, ping of death, etc.

So I recently purchased a pure router, an Ubiquity Er-x, that I already flashed with openwrt 19.07.3, running so smooth! How could I configure the two router, i'd like to using the Zyxel only for the vdsl2 connection and the voip supply, then the Ubnt to manage all the rest (nat, switch, firewall, etc)?

Set the Zyxel into bridge mode. There are instructions on how to do so in the user guide. You won't be able to use the voip ports, but you will be able to use the Zyxel as just a VDSL2 modem and your Ubiquiti ER-X will be the router.

1 Like

Thank you, but I have not a spare voip adapter... so in the case I put the Zyxel in PPoE mode (for the vdsl) and I connect it to the Ubnt eth0 port, how configure this? And I have to switch off the zyxel firewall?

You can check if the voip is using a different path. If it does, you could terminate the voip on the zyxel and passthrough the data path to the ER-X.
If not, then double NAT is the only other way. You'll have to port forward everything to the ER-X (also called DMZ).

1 Like

Thank you Trendy!
I'm in the second case, so I'll double NAT. Just a question, the connection between zyxel will be his one LAN port to the WAN of the Ubnt, right?

Yes, that is correct.

Thank you Panagiotis,
do you think in this way I will have some decrease of the overall throughput performance?

You're welcome Lorix.
Provided that both devices can handle the throughput of your connection, I don't think you'll notice any downgrade.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.