Сustom rom for Gl-E750

True, unless @tom1995 changes path.

There is something rather hypnotic about this thread. I find the image below apt.

@tom1995 I think a pertinent consideration is that individuals ask specific questions when they encounter specific problems. Your question is too general. Clearly OpenWrt just works on your device. So there will be tons of users who just use it and profit.

I really think you just go ahead and set up OpenWrt on your device and add packages as you need the functionality. And if you encounter any specific issues requiring specific input then you ask on this forum or on IRC and you will get answers very rapidly.

My real experience is that I bought a Huwaei router (B818-263) and then an Asus RT-AX86u router. The manufacturer firmware on both was rather limiting. The Asus device could be run with something called Merlin firmware which unlocks a lot of functionality in the direction of OpenWrt. But OpenWrt goes a lot further in terms of unlocking potential. I ended up returning my Asus and purchasing 3x RT3200's. I put OpenWrt on them and wow - I have been able to do so much on them and found this great community of enthusiasts. The spirit is fantastic and I've been motivated, encouraged and even mentored in terms of working on various projects like 'cake-autorate' to help keep latency low for variable rate links like LTE and Starlink. OpenWrt is ace!

See @tom1995 right now you are stuck (see snake above) on trying to ensure that you won't lose functionality. But let me assure you that you won't. If you find you need something I can assure you that either it exists already (most likely for most items if not everything) or can be recreated. And you'll find things like cake-autorate or VPN policy based routing which you didn't even think or know about before. Extra cool functionality that wasn't even possible with the manufacturer firmware.

Choose OpenWrt. Choose life.

2 Likes