Using 'Space' at SSID error issue

Hey guys.
Usually i set my SSID using underscore like "WiFi_2.4G". I've set this via WEB UI
i tried to set my SSID using space like "WiFi 2.4G", and it appears nothing wrong with my device's Wi-Fi list.

Whenever i save this again without any differences, not even with changing SSID, i can see SSID is changed to "WiFi 2.4G 2.4G" at my device's Wi-Fi list. It shows "WiFi 2.4G" at my WEB UI's settings. it just shows "WiFi 2.4G 2.4G" at my device's Wi-Fi list.

So i changed SSID to "test" via WEB UI, and it shows "test 2.4G 2.4G" at my device's Wi-Fi list.
To fix this, i need to reset my router

If i am right, somehow my router "memorize" string after the first space, and keep pastes this at my new SSID.

Any ideas to solve this Problem? i already checked uci commands at my SDK and still i have no idea why is this happening.

What version of OpenWrt are you using?

Let's start to explore by looking at your config file.

Please copy the output of the following commands and post it here using the "Preformatted text </> " button:
grafik
Remember to redact passwords and MAC addresses:

cat /etc/config/wireless

Also, something you can try -- edit the SSID via LuCI and then look at the effect it has on the wireless config file.

Here it is.

My current OpenWRT version is actually LEDE.

config wifi-iface 'ra0'
        option disabled '0'
        option ifname 'ra0'
        option device 'MT7915D2G'
        option vifidx '1'
        option hidden '0'
        option encryption 'none'
        option band_steering '0'
        option ssid 'WiFi_2G'

config config 'app_config'
        option doubleFlag '0'
        option wifiHide24g '0'
        option wifiHide5g '0'
        option wifiPass24g '00000000'
        option wifiPass5g '00000000'
        option wifiName24g 'WiFi_2G'
        option wifiName5g 'WiFi_5G'

this is my default value after i set my SSID via WEB UI to 'WiFi 2G', it shows like

config wifi-iface 'ra0'
        option disabled '0'
        option ifname 'ra0'
        option vifidx '1'
        option hidden '0'
        option encryption 'none'
        option band_steering '0'
        option ssid 'WiFi 2G'

option doubleFlag '0'
        option wifiHide24g '0'
        option wifiHide5g '0'

i can see 'config 'app_config'', option wifiName24g is not changed to "WiFi 2G"
However, i can see it appears "WiFi 2G" at my device's Wi-Fi list.

Here is the config file after i change nothing at all and save it via WEB UI.

config wifi-iface 'ra0'
        option disabled '0'
        option ifname 'ra0'
        option vifidx '1'
        option hidden '0'
        option encryption 'none'
        option band_steering '0'
        option ssid 'WiFi 2G'

option doubleFlag '0'
        option wifiHide24g '0'
        option wifiHide5g '0'

Same as before. Only the difference is i can see "WiFi 2G 2G" at my device's Wi-Fi list.

No, it very obviously isn't. It's a vendor firmware based on Mediatek's proprietary SDK, which -while loosely based on LEDE 17.01- has ripped out essential parts (especially related to kernel, wireless drivers, configuration backend, etc.) and replaced them with their proprietary components. With this, all bets are off, and unless you can reproduce the issue with real (and contemporary) OpenWrt, there's nothing to talk about here, maybe it applies, maybe it doesn't, we don't know - and we can't help you with that anyways.

2 Likes

You probably should be looking at upgrading to something more recent. That is really old and there are bugs and security vulnerabilities that are fixed in later versions.

What hardware are you using?

I got a SDK from Mediatek and i use this to develop, debug Routers, so i cannot say which hardware i am using currently. version is Reboot(17.01). I know this one is old version but i cannot upgrade to latest version since it's not 100% my project.

Are there any more things that i need to tell you guys?
@slh @psherman

Anyways,
I changed my SSID to 'WiFi2G' and here is how it looks.

config wifi-iface 'ra0'
        option disabled '0'
        option ifname 'ra0'
        option vifidx '1'
        option hidden '0'
        option encryption 'none'
        option band_steering '0'
        option ssid 'WiFi2G'

option doubleFlag '0'
        option wifiHide24g '0'
        option wifiHide5g '0'
        option wifiName24g 'WiFi2G'

Now i can see option wifiName24g is matching with 'ra0', ssid which is 'Wifi2G'

The problem here is twofold...

1. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone who really remembers the nuances of LEDE configuration. A lot has changed in the past 4 years... the way the firmware worked then is considerably different than how it works now.

2. your SDK is not vanilla LEDE, and therefore the customizations introduce differences in the capabilities and configuration methods. It also has the potential to introduce bugs that did not exist in the official LEDE releases.

Combining the two, there is really no way to get help here. You should ask MediaTek for assistance with your issue since they provided the SDK. If you are working on a current project, they should have field applications engineers who can help you debug the issue and move forward/

2 Likes

Thanks for your help. I should ask MediaTek and get a solution.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.