Well I am a bit late to the party as I only just got around to upgrading my 3200ACM recently. Is there anyone who can give me a jest of what you guys have discovered so far in dealing with these issues?
I noticed that there were quite a few issues with wireless as my sisters iPhone was causing my entire network to become unresponsive until rebooting the router. I seemed to have fixed the issue by completely disabling ipv6 on my interface.
The only issue that I have left right now though is that for some reason LuCi seems to become unresponsive, and is throwing "XHR request timed out" error messages. SSH works however, so I am able to configure everything through that in the meantime.
Hey all, it's been almost three days and I haven't had a single problem with openwrt 21.02.1 on my Linksys WRT1900ACS. I tested at least my 4 primary devices intensively through these days - work laptop running windows, personal macbook pro and iphone + android tablet - not a single disconnect or device being stuck on wifi without network access. To summarize what I've done:
removed wpad-basic-wolfssl and installed wpad-basic, forced wpa2 auth
disabled ipv6 (that I do every time I install/upgrade new version as it's a mess)
turned on Disassociate On Low Acknowledgement - not sure if that even works or if that's turned on by default.
I get it, this thread is mean for 3200acm/32x, however multiple people commented with issues on 1900 devices and as long as it's not confirmed that only 3200acm/32x are affected, it might be a common problem.
One thing that I know for a fact and from previous experience, mwlwifi does not get along well with Intel wireless chipsets. As a matter of fact, the combination was always a disaster. Particularly with Intel wireless chipsets that were a couple of years older.
Sometimes it’s hard to know what wifi chipset is in our mobile devices. Especially iPhones because the same model can be released with 2 or 3 different wifi chipsets depending on supply and manufacturing.
I wonder if Intel wireless chipsets are the majority of devices involved in this issue. I don’t know, but I am curious.
Those were exactly my thoughts when I first posted here. My wifi issues with my WRT1900ACS where strangely similar, including the trigger being mostly Apple devices. However I was able to solve it with this.
Is it likely, that adworacz's solution will be incorporated into future master builts in the neaar future?
At this point, no, this fix will never be pushed upstream, as @hnyman states above.
The issue is caused by an incompatibility between the WRT3200ACM / WRT32x firmware + driver and mac80211 5.8+ (which is why I'm using 5.7.5 in this test build). Considering that OpenWRT master is on mac80211 5.10+ and will continue to upgrade moving forwards, we'll never see this fixed upstream.
Either myself or other community members can continue to maintain builds (especially against 21.02) that fix this issue for a while, but the WRT3200ACM and WRT32X's days are numbered unless by some miracle the driver/firmware blobs get updated by the owning company (unlikely at this point).
A big part of me wants to jump straight into the miracle build from today, r16335 (21.02.1 - kernel 5.4.158 - mac80211 downgraded to 5.7.5), and move on from the issue at the heart of this thread. It looks like a few users are already testing this build which is great. I am ridiculously excited to use this build since that is the fruits of the labor from the many users on this thread.
However, I'm going to take one for the team and play with the dirty builds for another day or two because I have some more ideas for hopefully finding the issue that triggers this wireless cutout bug.
My laptop that has not been affected by this bug throughout all of this testing has an Atheros wireless card in it. I actually have an older Intel wireless AC card that I have swapped in my laptop now so that I can test later tonight.
If I can reproduce the issue on this laptop, that would be fantastic. My Atheros card only had one advanced wireless capability setting to modify in Windows. My Intel wifi card driver has 21 or 22 advanced wireless settings that I can fiddle with. So my first goal is to reproduce the issue. The second goal is to see if any of those advanced wireless card driver settings might help to figure out what the issue is. I will have to test various things while only changing one of those settings at a time.
Apple's iPhones and iPads had no real low-level settings to toggle for testing purposes. So hopefully I will be able to reproduce the wireless cutout issue on my Windows laptop that now has an Intel wireless card in it for the purpose of testing.
This is a great idea. However, I am not a developer myself. Some of the more experience developers have suggested that the bug is more than likely in the mwlwifi driver itself, and that is unfortunately abandoned. It has been suggested that the driver would likely have to be rewritten from scratch.
My goal is to find out exactly where its failing and hopefully find some sort of workaround. If we can figure out a workaround, then we can possibly get a patch for a simple workaround into the mwlwifi driver codebase.
The reality is that there are so many uncertainties right now because of all of this. But this latest build of @adworacz 's work may end up serving as some sort community build or fork to keep mwlwifi-based WRT routers alive. And possibly patches and package updates can still occur to a certain degree.
I also got to this thread when my WRT1900ACS had similar 21.02 problems: 5 Ghz disconnects from iPhones/Mac and my Dell laptop with intel chipset. I didn't realize the chipset differences, and am glad to see the info posted.