Usb fan not working

i have a 12v pc case fan but sadly its not working via router usb port can i connect it to the serial ports or any other way to make it work ?

USB ports are 5v.

what's the DC plug voltage, powering the router ?

1 Like

the problem is that it was working working like charm before and suddenly stopped and still not working even if i tried another fan , another cable , and another usb port in my pc man that's crazy

about the plug it's 12v 2A
the fan 12v 0.38A ( it was working before)

Your fan needs 12 volts and 4.6 watts.
Your router provides 5 volts and 2.5 watts (and that would be only after successful (software-) negotiation, without that, you can only depend on 0.5 watts).

Spot the problem…

--
many 12 volt fans need at least 7.5 volts to spin up reliably, aging, dust, deteriorating bearings have an impact as well.

3 Likes

the only modification that i did is updating from openwrt 17.1 to 22.2.03 .

what modification should i do plz

You're running a 12v fan off a 5v source, and you're asking us about modifications?

it was working for abou 1 week that's why asking

u said some software negotiation??

No i didn't , but when you tried it someplace else, and it's still dead, one can assume it won't work anymore, or it's b0rked...

when i test it with 12v it works :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face: that's crazy

Except for the dc whether 12v or not,you also should consider the starting current of the fan.It usually four times than rated current.

3 Likes

I think the the current is not the problem because the fan pull the current that it needs

Which is exactly the problem @yunhai describes...

1 Like

If the current become nearly or more than the rated of the dc,the volts would goes very low like 5v or less suddently,that may cause your devices dont work

@frollic @frollic @slh
got it fixed all the usb cables that i used were faulty :neutral_face::neutral_face: what i luck i sacrificed a new cable from a charger and it's working now

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.