Urgent assistance required

How do you install a new image? Is it just via download and getting the image for the suitable image related to the model number of your router and go to firmware upgrade and select this image? This is what i did actually and after that I went to packages update and got a list of packages that has the word upgrade beside it and i upgraded them one By one. I’m finding difficulties in getting the whole idea of how to deal with this. Excuse my weakness in this whole thing.

That's right. At that point, normally you don't upgrade any packages unless there's some bug that hasn't been fixed in a point release that you know about and need to have fixed.

If it's a critical security bug, The OpenWrt developers try to push out a point release quickly, so you can jump on that. If it's not a critical security bug and it's a feature bug and you know that the package has an updatable version that fixes the feature bug, then you can update that one package and the few things it depends on will get pulled in too.

Just willy nilly upgrading though can lead you to pull new libraries that break stuff on your router, there are not version based dependencies built into the opkg system that can avoid you having incompatible versions of packages installed together, that's generally what causes breakage.