Upgrading Kernel (CVE-2019-11815)

With the recent disclosure of CVE-2019-11815, I'm going to ask a silly question about updating the Kernel from 4.14 to 5.1.2 (STABLE). I'm going to guess there is more involved than getting the linux-5.1.2.tar.xz and putting it in the /dl directory, then changing the target Makefile KERNEL_PATCHVER to 5.1.2

I'm on a non-supported device, so there is no official image for me to wait to get :smile:

Any point in the right direction would be much appreciated!

Yes, much more involved, but.

1 Like

You are fantastic. I'll let this die now, but I really want to eventually move to a the 5.x Kernel or try to :wink:

Thanks again!

5.x, from the parts I’ve looked at, will require some significant rework of patches, even from 4.19. It’s just time that introduced changes. It isn’t that 5.x is significantly different than 4.last, just that Linus dictated starting new numbering.

If there’s something you need from mainline, backporting that one thing may be easier. That there isn’t an LTS kernel in the fives is another reason to hold off.

Gotcha. I had to backport Network driver patches to get the controller to work, which were released on the mip64 upstream a few years ago. My concern is missing out on other fixes that haven't been merged yet that don't necessary stand out as a "this is broken" situation.

ML chatter

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.