Upgraded TP-Link TL-WDR4300 v1 from 15.05 to 18.06.1, Wi-Fi doesn't work


For the past few years, I've been happily using OpenWRT on my TL-WDR4300 to bridge Ethernet and Wi-Fi, and it's been working great.

A few weeks ago, I started having an intermittent Ethernet connectivity issue (probably not OpenWRT or TL-WDR4300's fault); still, I upgraded my TL-WDR4300's firmware to 18.06.1 in hopes of resolving it.

After the upgrade, Wi-Fi doesn't seem to work at all. The SSID is broadcast and devices connect successfully, and actually get an IP, but nothing else works (can't ping neither the router nor gateway). DHCP definitely works, which leads me to believe there is some routing issue causing broadcast packets to get through, but not much else.

Logs: https://gist.github.com/CyberShadow/be18a7a55cdbc2fc9819a89e6dfc21ab
Config: https://gist.github.com/CyberShadow/33c1828fee036137b2d6a352ef76feb1

Any ideas?


I've tried a factory reset, then followed https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/dumbap .

Looks like the Wi-Fi does work, just extremely poorly.

i.e., here's what mtr looks like with sitting 1 foot from the router:

                                                                                                                                                                     My traceroute  [v0.92.56-d2fe]
t580.thecybershadow.net (                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         2018-09-25T14:33:12+0000
Keys:  Help   Display mode   Restart statistics   Order of fields   quit

                             Last 200 pings
 1. (no route to host)       b?>b?>b?>a?>a?c??c??c??c??c??b??b?>b????>a?>a?>a?c3?c??c??c??c??b?>b?>b?>a?>a?>a?>??c??c??c??c??c??b?>b?>b?>a?>??>??c??c??c??c??b??b?>b?>a?>a?>a?>a?c??c??c??c??b??b?>b?>b?>a?>??>a?c3?c??c??c??b?>?????

Scale:  .:1031 ms  1:1127 ms  2:1287 ms  3:1510 ms  a:1797 ms  b:2148 ms  c:2563 ms  >

The 5GHz one looks better, but still quite spotty:

t580.thecybershadow.net (                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         2018-09-25T14:49:21+0000
Keys:  Help   Display mode   Restart statistics   Order of fields   quit

                             Last 200 pings
 1.              .........3..>ca..a.........1...a....a.........a.........a2...33..a.a......1.3a...

Scale:  .:47 ms  1:188 ms  2:423 ms  3:753 ms  a:1176 ms  b:1693 ms  c:2305 ms  >

This looks like a pretty bad regression. What could cause this? Is there a workaround?

maybe hardware defect?

i'm using the sam router:

Hostname OpenWrt
Model TP-Link TL-WDR4300 v1
Architecture Atheros AR9344 rev 2
Firmware Version OpenWrt 18.06.1 r7258-5eb055306f / LuCI openwrt-18.06 branch (git-18.228.31946-f64b152)
Kernel Version 4.9.120
Local Time Thu Sep 27 22:12:58 2018
Uptime 17h 56m 38s
Load Average 0.03, 0.04, 0.00

So far for the past 6 months it's working great.
I'm restarting the router everyday with cronjob at 4.30AM


I have upgraded my WDR4300 as well to 18.06.1, I'm using it as a dumb AP with 2 SSIDs (one in clear, one WPA2), and it does work but I do see issues as well, especially after running it for a few days. The symptom is the following :
Router is pingable and can be logged into
Router can ping ip addresses inside the wired network,
Router can't ping devices hooked up to its wifi, and the opposite is true as well - devices can't use the wifi anymore to connect to the network.
only a reboot fixes the issue.

i have also implemented a cron restart once a week, but at this point I think one every day would probably be safer.

This is really problematic, i'm considering buying something new if this can't be fixed.