Update from 17.01.4 to 18.06.4

Hi all,
I have ben using 17.01.4 for a long time on my Linksys WRT1200AC ( LEDE Reboot 17.01.4 r3560-79f57e422d / LuCI lede-17.01 branch (git-17.290.79498-d3f0685)

I would like to upgrade to 18.06.4 but I don't want to lose my configuration.
The tutorial says to remove the flag in the "Keep settings" options, so according to the tutorial I will lose the settings.
Is there a way to preserve the configuration during the update?
Maybe saving the config and upload it after the upgrade will work?

thanks

You could backup the configuration form the same page where you flash. normally you should be able to backup the configuration, but it's possible that for major upgrade this might not well. You may search the forum for that point in specific as that question was asked before but I don't remember about 17 to 18 upgrade. If it's not recommend if you prefer to play safe, you will have your backup archive anyway, and then you can selectively choose the files you want to restore, or copy and paste the lines.

It goes without saying that you will have to reinstall all the packages manually (new release though generates a list of user installed package, but for now you will have to remember them or write them down.

2 Likes

19.07 (if it's still 19.07) should be out soon. So if the upgrade process seems too much effort, you may choose to wait for a few more days and do that at once. Though, your device is running an outdated firmware, so it's kind of security concern--your call.

However, be ready to reset to the factory defaults in case of problems.

2 Likes

ok. Thanks for your replies.
At present I have this configuration in my router:

Apparently in one partition I have 17.01 and in another 18.06.