Unifi Access Points (U6LR and NanoHD)

hello everyone,

i have never used openwrt before, but my ADD and OCD is kicking in with my incessant need to to play around with and tweak my network.

i'm running a custom pfsense as my router, with full unifi on the other side (cloud key gen 2+, 24 port switch pro, U6LR and NanoHD access points, cameras, doorbells, etc...)

looking into the downloads, it looks like there are only snapshots available.

so i've got a couple questions. first, are the performance benefits of using openwrt really that much better than oem? will the devices still show up on my network controller with 3rd part firmware installed? and lastly, hoping to get some feedback from people that have used the firmware for the nanohd and u6lr. are they stable-ish, or super buggy? noticeable improvements, or should i hold off until a more stable firmware is available?

thanks!

will the devices still show up on my network controller with 3rd part firmware installed?

No they will not.

If played quite a lot with the U6LR and it has given me a solid performance running OpenWrt snapshots so far. The fact that the NOR flash is handled in 4k blocks (instead of 64k blocks) makes larger write to the flash, sysupgrade and especially mount_root on firstboot take ages. We still need to find a better solution for that, the same problem exists also for many MikroTik devices.
Anyway, once you managed to flash the device and first-boot has completed, it's all great as it is already.

1 Like