I just set up my U6-LR for the first time.
I added 2 networks (for 2.4GHz and 5GHz), each with same name for 2.4 and 5.
So, I wanted to enable WiFi 6 (802.11ax I think?) for the 5GHz WiFis. I switched them to AX mode with auto channel and 160 MHz Width.
But now, the WiFis seems randomly turning of and on the WiFi 6.
Also (but another problem) is that the LED isn't flashing, even if I added a LED action (default-on), which should be on onways?
I'm running on OpenWRT 21.02.2.
Any ideas what could be the problem or how to find out?
Thanks in advance!
What happens if you put your device into 80 MHz mode?
I just deleted one of the two networks running on 5GHz for testing purposes.
The other one is now running on 80MHz, but same: Was running for a time with WiFi 6 after a time it's disabled. Btw, is there an other way checking if it's offering WiFi6 than manually checking on my smartphone?
WiFi 6 is just a marketing name. The only way to know is to check either the device or the router.
From what I understand you will get more coverage and higher speeds at longer ranges if you use 80 MHz instead of 160.
But I wonder why it's been disabling and enabling it all time and only running without WiFi 6
You mean WiFi works intermittently?
Thats correct. WiFi is working at any time, but is sometimes shown with WiFi 6 and sometimes without.
Ah, now I get it. It all has to do with the linking speed. WiFi 6 is just a marketing term. Moet devices lower the linking speed while the connection is not in use to save power. So you should look at max throughput with something like iperf3.
Okay, I see.
But the only device currently in my network with WiFi 6 support is my smartphone - and I don't get iperf3 running there. Also, my internet connection to external servers is at 250MBit/s, which I think is not very compatible with WiFi 6. Are there any other ideas what I can try?
Belonging to the LED part of the question, do you have an idea there?
You can run iperf3 if you use the Hurricane Electric toolbox. Can be downloaded for Android
Alright, I just checked.
These are the values: https://pastebin.realhunters.de/sajigutita.avrasm
As said above, my internet speed is limited to 250Mb/s, so how can I test if the AP can transfer more?
So this is with an external server try running it from your phone to your router. So running an iperf3 server on your router and your phone connecting as a client
you mean I should set up an internal iperf3 server on any of my in-network devices?
Just run it on your router. iperf3 -s if not memory serves me correctly, then connecting to the server via HE tools on your phone and running that at least 30 seconds
Alright, thanks for the input.
Here is the new output: https://pastebin.realhunters.de/hikeyideve.avrasm
The test was executed while the small 6 in the wifi symbol on my mobile phone was shown.
In iperf, I set 5k bytes, hope that's ok.
Doesn't seem to be that high bandwidth I assume...
Nope, that's way to slow. Have you tried factory resetting OpenWRT?
No, because I don't want all settings getting lost...
Should I try with more then the 5k bytes above with iperf?
I understand but sometimes starting from scratch can solve a bad configuration. But it's better to ask your wireless configuration first
So what's inside /etc/config/wireless?
Here's my contet of /etc/config/wireless (with censored ssids and keys)
Took some time on my part because of holiday.
Here is my /etc/config/wireless from a Belkin RT3200 (similar hardware)
root@OpenWrt:~# cat /etc/config/wireless config wifi-device 'radio0' option type 'mac80211' option path 'platform/18000000.wmac' option band '2g' option htmode 'HT20' option cell_density '0' option country 'NL' option channel '13' config wifi-iface 'default_radio0' option device 'radio0' option network 'lan' option mode 'ap' option ssid 'REDACTED' option encryption 'psk2+ccmp' option key 'Top secret' option wpa_disable_eapol_key_retries '1' config wifi-device 'radio1' option type 'mac80211' option path '1a143000.pcie/pci0000:00/0000:00:00.0/0000:01:00.0' option band '5g' option cell_density '0' option htmode 'HE80' option country 'NL' option channel '149' config wifi-iface 'default_radio1' option device 'radio1' option network 'lan' option mode 'ap' option ssid 'REDACTED'' option encryption 'psk2+ccmp' option key 'Top secret' option wpa_disable_eapol_key_retries '1'
If I run an iperf3 server on the router and connect to it with an AC device (mobile phone) with a link rate of 866 Mbps and let iperf3 run for 30 seconds (-c ip-of-server -t 30s) it produces the following result:
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bitrate [ 5] 0.00-30.00 sec 1.05 GBytes 301 Mbits/sec receiver
Not to shabby for a crowded area (appartement building)