Unclear on the install process for my new Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M2 (XW)

Does anyone have a process for installing OpenWRT on the Ubiquiti Nanostation M2 Loco (XW version) that usually works?

I don't need a super detailed guide, just the steps to go through should be enough. I'm a little confused by the instructions on the OpenWRT page since they seem to be mostly applicable to the old xm version and there are some warnings about AirOS 6, but there is no AirOS 5 to downgrade to for the XW, as far as I can tell. Theres a long discussion thread about this new XW model (New Ubiquiti LOCO M2 XW) but I wasn't able to discern much from the mix of successes and bricks that were reported. This will be my first time using OpenWRT and there is a specific package that has made me determined to try it. I only have one of these, therefor I would like to minimize my chances of bricking it. Thanks for any help!

Mayeb this device

1 Like

That could be it. No specific mention of the Loco versions, but as far as I'm aware it's just a smaller antenna and one less ethernet port. Also no specific mention of whether to downgrade to AirOS 5.5 first (which doesn't seem available for my device).

Since this commit was just made a few days ago, how can I keep tabs on if/when that code is added to a new build that I can download?

buildbots are data driven, so new snapshots should exist by now, check the downloads.

On further investigation, it looks like the ath79 ( https://openwrt.org/docs/techref/targets/ath79 ) project is not meant to make openWRT any easier to install.

I'm not going to do anything for now. The OpenWRT page for the M2 Loco ( https://openwrt.org/toh/ubiquiti/nanostationm2 ) says that my XW version is supported but also makes it clear that I need to downgrade to AirOS 5.5 before attempting to install. It only links AirOS 5.5 files for the older XM version. I can't find any information about whether the NanoStation XW devices ever had a 5.5 firmware available, and I can't find any information on whether I can safely load a 5.5 firmware from some other XW device ( <== I think this is maybe the piece of the puzzle I'm missing?)