Unable to Ping EdgeRouterX After Upgrading from 19.07 to 22.03

Hi,

I recently tried to install OpenWRT on a fresh EdgeRouterX device. I had success getting 19.07 installed as a base version, but upon attempting to update to 22.03, I was no longer able to ping or reach the device afterwards. The command I used to attempt the upgrade was the following:

sysupgrade -F openwrt-22.03.2-ramips-mt7621-ubnt_edgerouter-x-initramfs-kernel.bin

The light associated with the port I connected to the ERX with from my machine no longer blinks or lights up. If I attempt to plug into other router ports, I get blinking lights but I'm still unable to reach the router through PING or SSH.

What can I do from this point to try to get the router back to a working state. I would be totally fine with being able to run 19.07 again and possibly try another style of upgrading, or even somehow reverting back to the factory OS the device came with: EdgeOS. I am pretty much stuck.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

you may have two cascading issues here...

1. you should have used the -n argument to ensure that settings are not kept. They are not compatible between these versions for the ER-X, and keeping settings is not technically supported anyway.

2. you have flashed the initramfs version. You should have used the squashfs sysupgrade image for this upgrade.

At this point, you will need to try the TFTP recovery method (re-install the standard EdgeOS from UI) and then install OpenWrt from there.

If that doesn't work, you'll need to connect with a serial to usb adapter (the serial port is a set of pin-headers on the board... you have to open the case to access it).

3 Likes