Unable to install at TP-LINK Archer C1200 v2

Hi, I'm have TP-LINK Archer C1200 v2 AP that support OpenWRT(found this info at openwrt hompage). I downloaded this openwrt 18.06.05 firmware from openwrt homepage but on AP setting page it says "Unable to upgrade". Is there any way to solve this problem? I tried all things what openwrt homepage says like changing filename but it didn't work. AP setting page is not throwing something to recognize problem like error number but just saying "Unable to upgrade"..

1 Like

Are you sure we're talking about the "TP-LINK Archer C5 v2", as referred to in your firmware link, and not some other device (I'd call it a router, not really an AP - although you can obviously use it for that purpose)?

If so, you should be aware that both wireless cards of the "TP-LINK Archer C5 v2" are effectively unsupported[0]. While it should work decently as a wired router, its wireless functionality is 'never' going to be supported properly at 802.11n or 802.11ac speeds.

--
[0] that is technically a lie, but it enjoys only extremely basic support via the b43 kernel module, limited to 54 MBit/s at most - on both bands, don't expect reasonable stability/ reliability either.

Hi! Thank you for replying me slh. I think I was confused because my router's model is Archer C1200 and supported router version is C5 AC1200. Archer C1200 has Broadcom BCM47189 @ 900 MHz processor but there're no openwrt firmware for Archer C1200 in BCM47xx directory. Is there any way to customly build firmware for my router(TP-LINK Archer C1200 v2.0)?

If it's not listed under https://openwrt.org/toh/start (it isn't), then it isn't supported. While it might be possible to port OpenWrt to your device, that would have to be done (porting/ development work on the source level) by someone (realistically speaking, you) with the device on their desk - as I don't really find any technical information about a device with this designation, I can't estimate how feasible that is.

While it might be possible to port OpenWrt to your device, that would have to be done

I guess, it makes sense to first back up all mtd partitions of the device to the computer and connect UART to record complete bootlogs of original firmware, along with output of diagnostic commands such as cat /proc/cpuinfo , cat /proc/mounts and cat /proc/mtd .

Then, after figuring out original firmware partition layout, it makes sense to find a supported device with the same SoC, check whenever partition layout is same (today it's done via device tree files in openwrt/target/linux/*/dts directories mostly) and correct it if necessary.

Then the OpenWrt sysupgrade image can be safely flashed onto firmware partition of the device, and it will perhaps boot up and work to some degree. After that effort will be needed to add a new device and correct whatever does not work.

At least it's how I see necessary steps to port a new device. Am I correct here?

Tenda AC9 is the only device listed with BCM47189 in the ToH. Please mind the restrictions regarding wifi.