Uap-ac-lr openwrt install

I wanted to share that I have successfully managed to install openwrt 21.02 on uap-ac-lr from unifi firmware 6.2.49 without opening the device.

To keep in short, I have used the "Non-invasive method using mtd-tools from OpenWrt" described here:

Of course, on the first attempt, I was greeted with the message:
can't write to kernel0

But then I remembered that for the u6 the wiki install instructions are stating the following:

#Unlock mtd partitions with some magic:

echo "5edfacbf" > /proc/ubnthal/.uf

I did run the above command and then it worked !

Now the device happily runs 21.02 without needing to be downgraded to 4.3.28 or being opened to use the serial console and tftp.

5 Likes

Hi mihait, and welcome to the community!

That's a great report. Nothing like a little hack-fu

That's not esoteric at all. :wink:

Good find! And you're right, it's documented on the Unifi 6 LR page, but not the Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC page.

Perhaps you'd consider requesting a wiki account and documenting your results on the right page. This was how I first started contributing. Wiith 1600 or so supported devices, the device-specific pages are often lagging reality. They need good device evangelists to help keep them current.

What are your plans from here? Do you intend to remain on 21.02, or move ahead to 22.03 or even the new 23.05 which is now in the release-candidate stage?

Thank you!

I can do that but I think it would be wiser to have someone else test it and confirm the finding before requesting the edit.

I intend to stay a bit on 21.02 and then upgrade to the latest stable.
Also I intend to flash the router as well with openwrt :slight_smile:

Always a good thing - you never know when someone else will come along though, and the next person may need the benefit of your experience, so I've taken the liberty of putting a note about possibly requiring it on the page.

Great idea! Look forward to reading about your success with that too.